Forums: Dropzone.com: Suggestions and Feedback:
Classified scams

parkair  (D 33246)

Nov 25, 2012, 5:10 AM
Post #1 of 11 (1105 views)
Shortcut
Classified scams Quote | Reply

Why is there so many scams in the Dropzone classifieds? It seems there are more issues on this website than others I frequent. Is there anyway to create more barriers or checks to be sure the people on here are legit? After looking through a few classifieds currently posted, some sellers have never logged on. Yet they have a item for sale.

parkair  (D 33246)

Dec 21, 2012, 5:03 AM
Post #3 of 11 (980 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Meso] Classified scams [In reply to] Quote | Reply

Thanks Meso for the earlier reply,

I do agree with your ideas and policies on this website. But it's getting to a point where a LARGE percentage of the sellers are scammers. Especially on the AAD classified section. And then there's the buyer scammers. Maybe it is time for a radical change. I enjoy and use this website often but it is not worth losing large sums of money. Thanks.....

johnlyman  (D 92685)

Jan 30, 2013, 7:43 PM
Post #4 of 11 (905 views)
Shortcut
Re: [parkair] Classified scams [In reply to] Quote | Reply

Any good suggestions on how to avoid buyers scams?

I have a rig in the classifieds for a customer and concerned about this. I understand that even after "certified" funds or paypal payment is received this can actually be rejected by the sellers bank, like passing a bad check.

Of course I would never take a personal check from someone I did not know, but if this can happen with certified/secured funds such as a paypal payment or cashiers check, how do you protect yourself?

Premier likestojump  (D License)

Mar 9, 2013, 5:47 AM
Post #6 of 11 (832 views)
Shortcut

yah, well.

I keep marking ads as SCAM, and those same usernames keep re-posting same ads. Why does management not delete/inactivate those users ?

JeffCa  (C License)

Mar 9, 2013, 6:06 AM
Post #7 of 11 (830 views)
Shortcut
Re: [likestojump] Classified scams [In reply to] Quote | Reply

I marked an ad as a potential scam recently, and the ad has now been re-listed. It's a new account, never logged in, selling an item that should have a serial number but that was not listed, and the seller listed the wrong manufacturer in both ads.

As a newbie who may be buying gear in the near future, I'd ask DZ.com to do whatever is reasonably possible to keep these scams out. So what if it's a little inconvenient? Wouldn't it be worth it to have confidence in the system when people are making transactions for so much money?

JeffCa  (C License)

Mar 10, 2013, 6:24 AM
Post #10 of 11 (798 views)
Shortcut

In reply to:
The only thing we could do to prevent scammers from trying to scam people, is to implement an in-depth registration process of classifieds. Where buyers and sellers would have to confirm who they are and supply us with certain details, details many users may not want to provide. It would be met positively by some, but negatively by others.

Meso, thanks for your reply. If you have a chance and don't mind, could you briefly describe what would be involved with such a process? If some people would like it and some people wouldn't, why not do it and make it optional for people to participate? Buyers and sellers could then have a "trusted" logo or something next to their names if they have completed the process. Considering a lot of gear is worth more than a typical used car, I'd be willing to pay for such security, which would hopefully make it worthwhile for you.

If I was buying used gear today, I'd probably insist on using an escrow service like that offered by ChutingStar. Not only do I get an inspection to verify the condition, but my chance of getting scammed would go down considerably.

Forums : Dropzone.com : Suggestions and Feedback

Search for (options)