Forums: Skydiving: General Skydiving Discussions:
Skydiving and GI Bill

KorbinHumble

Nov 16, 2012, 6:47 AM
Post #1 of 16 (3453 views)
Shortcut
Skydiving and GI Bill Can't Post

Hello all, I have heard about NZ Skydiving School and their Diploma in Commercial Skydiving. Do they take the US post-9/11 GI Bill? And are there any other similar places where I could use my GI Bill to pursue my skydiving dreams? Thank you all very much for taking the time to help me out.

theonlyski  (D License)

Nov 16, 2012, 7:13 AM
Post #2 of 16 (3378 views)
Shortcut
Re: [KorbinHumble] Skydiving and GI Bill [In reply to] Can't Post

In reply to:
Hello all, I have heard about NZ Skydiving School and their Diploma in Commercial Skydiving. Do they take the US post-9/11 GI Bill? And are there any other similar places where I could use my GI Bill to pursue my skydiving dreams? Thank you all very much for taking the time to help me out.

Basically, no.

Krip  (Student)

Nov 16, 2012, 7:40 AM
Post #3 of 16 (3352 views)
Shortcut

Hi Humble

I used the G.I. bill to get a engineering degree, and could afford to jump while going to school and after I graduated.

Don't waste your G.I. Bill on a silly dreamSmile unless you want toCool

CarpeDiem3  (D License)

Nov 16, 2012, 7:51 AM
Post #4 of 16 (3338 views)
Shortcut

This has been discussed before.
Click "search", search string "GI Bill".

normiss  (D 28356)

Nov 16, 2012, 7:55 AM
Post #5 of 16 (3334 views)
Shortcut
Re: [CarpeDiem3] Skydiving and GI Bill [In reply to] Can't Post

It's always amazing how a select few newbies know the intimate history of this place.
Very impressive!

now, how many more accounts will you create when they bust you?

tristansdad  (C 39285)

Nov 16, 2012, 8:19 AM
Post #6 of 16 (3312 views)
Shortcut

The institution needs to be recognized by the VA. It must be a legit degree program because the VA sends checks directly to the school in the amount of how ever many credit hours youre pursuing in any given semester. The VA is only going to cut the check after the school sends them enrollment verification. In traditional schools like the ones that are regionally accredited, only need to send that verification in every semester. Vocational schools need to send it monthly. The VA will also pay you a housing allowance based on the amount of time the school says your attending classes. Most schools stipulate that 12 credit hours is full time and you will receive the full BAH with dependants allowance. Anything less is prorated to the percentage i.e 9 credit hours will be 75 percent BAH. Plus your $500 book stipend will reflect the same calculation.
With that said, if you can pull it off please do and let the rest of us know how you did it.
Wink

hcsvader  (E 2952)

Nov 16, 2012, 10:01 AM
Post #7 of 16 (3248 views)
Shortcut

Use the opportunity to get a real job.

I'm a welder.

Last year I worked 5 months and have spent the last 5 months traveling the world skydiving. Still 2 months to go before I have to go back to work, and even then I will be jumping almost every weekend.
If you want a full time career in skydiving you don't need to go to a special school to do it, and it's not a viable long term career.

If you have the opportunity for a free education take advantage of it and find a career that will let you do what you want to for the rest of your life.

CarpeDiem3  (D License)

Nov 16, 2012, 10:40 AM
Post #8 of 16 (3212 views)
Shortcut
Re: [normiss] Skydiving and GI Bill [In reply to] Can't Post

In reply to:
It's always amazing how a select few newbies know the intimate history of this place.
Very impressive!

No intimate history. I was curious. I used the search button. I found results. Just like the original poster could do.

I can also find out that your first post here was in 2005, even though I just joined this year. With the search feature and the cataloging of old posts, you don't have to witness messages personally to know that they exist. You can find them after the fact. But then, you're a network engineer and you know that.

(This post was edited by CarpeDiem3 on Nov 16, 2012, 10:44 AM)

normiss  (D 28356)

Nov 16, 2012, 11:21 AM
Post #9 of 16 (3174 views)
Shortcut
Re: [CarpeDiem3] Skydiving and GI Bill [In reply to] Can't Post

Not too many noobs finger that out.

I still don't believe you either...Wink

CarpeDiem3  (D License)

Nov 16, 2012, 12:54 PM
Post #10 of 16 (3136 views)
Shortcut
Re: [normiss] Skydiving and GI Bill [In reply to] Can't Post

In reply to:
Not too many noobs finger that out.

I'm not a noob in age. I'm not a noob in skydiving. I'm just a noob on this web site. Maybe I'm smarter than the average noob. But I doubt it. The search button is just common sense.

Andy9o8  (D License)

Nov 17, 2012, 3:04 AM
Post #11 of 16 (3045 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Krip] Skydiving and GI Bill [In reply to] Can't Post

In reply to:
a engineering degree

ah... that explains it....

JerryBaumchen  (D 1543)

Nov 17, 2012, 12:18 PM
Post #12 of 16 (2903 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Andy9o8] Skydiving and GI Bill [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi Andy,

Quote:

Every bit as much as a law degree explains things.

Sorry, as an engineer & with a son who is an attorney, I could not pass this one up.

Angelic

JerryBaumchen

Krip  (Student)

Nov 18, 2012, 1:37 AM
Post #13 of 16 (2760 views)
Shortcut

In reply to:
In reply to:
a engineering degree

Hi A

20 -20 hind sight I screwed up.

Some of the guy's we were jumping with in college became MD's. Thats a lot better job.

Now they fly their own airplanes, to attend medical seminars and play in golf tournaments while their at it. Income tax?

Patient doesn't have medical insurance, to bad so sad. Next!!

I Lost 4 yr's earning the G.I. Bill. Didn't have the time or $$$$ to go to school for 8 yr's. I needed a job ASAP. Wink

OTOH I can scrible my name just like a Dr so people can't read it and with my penmenship no one can tell i don't know how to spell.

Dr's and Lawyers with their Rolex watch's, lexus, trophy wife's, nylon socks, $300 shoes $200 ties & nice suitsCrazy

I try very hard to stay away from DR's and Lawyers. Some of them can kill you and some of the other ones can rob you blind.

I'm not complaining about the way things turned out.Cool

R,

Andy9o8  (D License)

Nov 18, 2012, 5:39 AM
Post #14 of 16 (2702 views)
Shortcut

Hi Krip

In reply to:
Dr's and Lawyers with their Rolex watch's, lexus, trophy wife's, nylon socks, $300 shoes $200 ties & nice suits

I've never had a Rolex; we drive boring cars; I'd be nothing without my wife (including sane); ew, nylon - cotton please; I buy discount shoes at DSW; I buy my suits & ties off the rack in department stores. I actually hate wearing suits these days (but damn I look good in them Wink).

In reply to:
I try very hard to stay away from DR's and Lawyers.

As do I; especially the latter.

In reply to:
Some of them can kill you and some of the other ones can rob you blind.

UnimpressedHm? Wives?

Krip  (Student)

Nov 18, 2012, 6:50 AM
Post #15 of 16 (2662 views)
Shortcut

In reply to:
Hi Krip

In reply to:
Dr's and Lawyers with their Rolex watch's, lexus, trophy wife's, nylon socks, $300 shoes $200 ties & nice suits

I've never had a Rolex; we drive boring cars; I'd be nothing without my wife (including sane); ew, nylon - cotton please; I buy discount shoes at DSW; I buy my suits & ties off the rack in department stores. I actually hate wearing suits these days (but damn I look good in them Wink).

In reply to:
I try very hard to stay away from DR's and Lawyers.

As do I; especially the latter.

In reply to:
Some of them can kill you and some of the other ones can rob you blind.

UnimpressedHm? Wives?

Hi A

My Wife wouldn't hurt/rob me, I do as I'm told.Wink

Its the Dr's and Lawyer's we have to worry about.Laugh

Do you have any advice for the OP?

Andy9o8  (D License)

Nov 18, 2012, 6:54 AM
Post #16 of 16 (2652 views)
Shortcut

In reply to:
Do you have any advice for the OP?

It would just repeat all the good advice given up-thread.

Forums : Skydiving : General Skydiving Discussions

Search for (options)