Forums: Skydiving: Gear and Rigging:
Vector 3 v infinity

starky4011

Nov 12, 2012, 9:08 PM
Post #1 of 18 (2632 views)
Shortcut
Vector 3 v infinity Can't Post

I'm finally at a point that i can buy a custom container and hold on to it for a long time.

I hear vectors are probably the best "put together" rigs. They also include an amazing stowless d bag and have the magnetic riser covers. But a new one will also take 10 months.

Infinities have the floating laterals which I think are awesome. Will only take 4 months. Are they worth the wait? Price comes out roughly the same for me so no factor there.

DocPop  (C License)

Nov 12, 2012, 10:21 PM
Post #2 of 18 (2602 views)
Shortcut
Re: [starky4011] Vector 3 v infinity [In reply to] Can't Post

I love my infinity and have just ordered a second one. There is a stowless bag option for Infinity too (ask for the Party Bag).

davelepka  (D 21448)

Nov 13, 2012, 5:16 AM
Post #3 of 18 (2521 views)
Shortcut

Quote:
I hear vectors are probably the best "put together" rigs.

I don't disagree that UPT(Vector) makes a good product, but so does VSE (Infinity).

I'm wrapping up my 8th season jumping an Infinity, so that puts it at about 1400 jumps, and I have only had one problem with the build quality of the rig, and it wasn't even a VSE component. The attachment point where the main PC bridle (outsourced by VSE to Cazer) wore out where the rapide links go through the bridle to keep it in the bag. The bridle rubbed between the metal links and the grommet and just wore out. I remomved the links, and simply sewed the bridle to the top of the d-bag, and that solved the problem.

Otherwise, 8 seasons and 1400 trouble free jumps, and the rig still looks like new (after my yearly washing each spring). For no other reason than 'just because', I'm going to order another Infinity this winter. The old one is great, and I plan to keep jumping it as a back-up rig, but I just want a new one.

You won't regret buying an Infinity. You'll get it sooner than a Vector, and it costs way less (you can spend the savings on jumps).

monkycndo  (D License)

Nov 13, 2012, 5:52 AM
Post #4 of 18 (2508 views)
Shortcut

My first new container was an Infinity. I still have it. The floating laterals are fantastic. I won a 50% off voucher from another manufacturer and got that container. Didn't fit nearly as well. I'd rather pay more for a comfortable rig. Sold the other and bought another Infinity as a dedicated WS rig. Kelly and crew produce a quality rig and their customer support before and after the sell is top notch. I borrowed a Vector when I needed to make a turn and didn't have my back up rig with me. The Vector was also nice, but just wasn't as comfy as mine.

If you have a chance to try on a rig that fits so you can get a comparison between the two, that is always a good idea. Both rigs are good, but as my sigline shows, I am definitely partial to Infinity.

riggerrob  (D 14840)

Nov 13, 2012, 7:20 AM
Post #5 of 18 (2477 views)
Shortcut
Re: [davelepka] Vector 3 v infinity [In reply to] Can't Post

In reply to:
Quote:
... I have only had one problem with the build quality of the rig, and it wasn't even a VSE component. The attachment point where the main PC bridle (outsourced by VSE to Cazer) wore out where the rapide links go through the bridle to keep it in the bag. The bridle rubbed between the metal links and the grommet and just wore out. I removed the links, and simply sewed the bridle to the top of the d-bag, and that solved the problem. ...

A common wear point on most containers.
If you want the fancy, high-tec, light-weight, go-fast, retractable pilot-chute, gear, don't expect it to last forever.

davelepka  (D 21448)

Nov 13, 2012, 7:27 AM
Post #6 of 18 (2474 views)
Shortcut
Re: [riggerrob] Vector 3 v infinity [In reply to] Can't Post

Quote:
A common wear point on most containers.
If you want the fancy, high-tec, light-weight, go-fast, retractable pilot-chute, gear, don't expect it to last forever.

Not forever, but if you sew the bridle to the bag, you can eliminate the wear point all together. I jumped a Racer for years that came from the factory like that. In fact the bridle was only half the width of a standard bridle, but it was sewn directly to the bag, and I put 2500+ jumps on it with no problems.

I did have to replace/adjust the kill line a couple times, but otherwise it went the distance. The PC mesh was starting to show some wear, but after 2500+ jumps that's to be expected.

It is harder to change the PC, but again, with PCs that last for 1000's of jumps, it's not that often anyway.

waveoff5500  (D 32087)

Nov 13, 2012, 8:34 AM
Post #7 of 18 (2438 views)
Shortcut

i have a micron and im really happy with the build quality and features. magnetic risers are convienient but not a must have. i think youll be happy with either.

adamUK  (C 104423)

Nov 13, 2012, 8:41 AM
Post #8 of 18 (2424 views)
Shortcut

Anyone tried the black hardware? Any good or does it scratch easily?

DocPop  (C License)

Nov 13, 2012, 9:19 AM
Post #9 of 18 (2393 views)
Shortcut
Re: [adamUK] Vector 3 v infinity [In reply to] Can't Post

In reply to:
Anyone tried the black hardware? Any good or does it scratch easily?

VSE told me that the new black stainless option (they only black hardware they are doing now) is black all the way through so even if it gets scratched it will stay black.

I have it coming on my new one, but I won't know for about a month....

Thunderbow  (A 47220)

Nov 13, 2012, 9:26 AM
Post #10 of 18 (2390 views)
Shortcut
Re: [DocPop] Vector 3 v infinity [In reply to] Can't Post

A little off topic but does the black hardware present a potential problem when used with black risers? This being the possibility that a misrouted 3 ring or other problem may be missed as there wouldn't be the contrast in color?

Premier likestojump  (D License)

Nov 13, 2012, 9:32 AM
Post #11 of 18 (2386 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Thunderbow] Vector 3 v infinity [In reply to] Can't Post

In reply to:
A little off topic but does the black hardware present a potential problem when used with black risers? This being the possibility that a misrouted 3 ring or other problem may be missed as there wouldn't be the contrast in color?

Explain please.

blueblur  (A 64923)

Nov 13, 2012, 9:59 AM
Post #12 of 18 (2364 views)
Shortcut
Re: [likestojump] Vector 3 v infinity [In reply to] Can't Post

Black rings would make a black riser webbing not as noticable as black webbing over silver rings. The contrast provides your eye with a more easily discernable pattern to look for misrouting.

riggerrob  (D 14840)

Nov 13, 2012, 10:09 AM
Post #13 of 18 (2350 views)
Shortcut
Re: [blueblur] Vector 3 v infinity [In reply to] Can't Post

I always inspect 3-Rings from the side. because that makes it more obvious if they are not laying parallel, or both riser rings are through the harness ring, etc.

Krip  (Student)

Nov 13, 2012, 10:16 AM
Post #14 of 18 (2342 views)
Shortcut

In reply to:
I'm finally at a point that i can buy a custom container and hold on to it for a long time.

I hear vectors are probably the best "put together" rigs. They also include an amazing stowless d bag and have the magnetic riser covers. But a new one will also take 10 months.

Infinities have the floating laterals which I think are awesome. Will only take 4 months. Are they worth the wait? Price comes out roughly the same for me so no factor there.

Hi

Go with the Infinity

It's miles above the vector 3.Sly

DocPop  (C License)

Nov 13, 2012, 10:35 AM
Post #15 of 18 (2327 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Thunderbow] Vector 3 v infinity [In reply to] Can't Post

In reply to:

Looks fairly visible to me (see attachment).

(This post was edited by DocPop on Nov 13, 2012, 10:39 AM)
Attachments: Infinity black SS hardware.jpg (180 KB)

blueblur  (A 64923)

Nov 13, 2012, 3:11 PM
Post #16 of 18 (2240 views)
Shortcut
Re: [DocPop] Vector 3 v infinity [In reply to] Can't Post

Good point. I personally have not seen black rings, but was trying to interpret the possible challenge. They do look good!

starky4011

Nov 13, 2012, 4:26 PM
Post #17 of 18 (2195 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Krip] Vector 3 v infinity [In reply to] Can't Post

Krip, how so?

Adam, a friend has the black hardware and it's really tough, doesn't scratch easily, and seems to keep its "look" as long as the stainless hardware does.

So it seems Infinity is the overall victor...to quote "gladiator"
In reply to:
is there no one else?

MrHixxx  (D 24144)

Nov 13, 2012, 4:34 PM
Post #18 of 18 (2185 views)
Shortcut
Re: [davelepka] Vector 3 v infinity [In reply to] Can't Post

A simple way to avoid this in the future is to replace the rapid link in the bridle with a key ring and attach to the canopy with a soft link. Getting rid of the barrel of the rapide eliminates the hotspot...

Forums : Skydiving : Gear and Rigging

Search for (options)