Forums: Archive: 2013-2015 USPA BOD Elections:
Bryan Burke write in candidate for Mountain region.

SStewart  (D 10405)

Nov 4, 2012, 11:29 PM
Post #1 of 12 (1847 views)
Shortcut
Bryan Burke write in candidate for Mountain region. Can't Post

Larry Hill called our DZ and is asking for our support to write in Bryan Burke for the mountain region. I support this and I hope everyone in the mountain region will vote for Bryan. (and Larry too)

rlallo  (D 11400)

Nov 5, 2012, 9:22 AM
Post #2 of 12 (1773 views)
Shortcut
Re: [SStewart] Bryan Burke write in candidate for Mountain region. [In reply to] Can't Post

Scott,
My name is Ray Lallo and I'm on the ballot for the Mountain Region. The only name. I suggest you do some research about how AZ ended up in the Mountain Region. Also, at the Minneapolis meeting Larry looked right at my face and said I had his full support and he would not throw in a write-in at the last minute. Judge for yourself. Feel free to reach out to me.

CarpeDiem3  (D License)

Nov 5, 2012, 9:56 AM
Post #3 of 12 (1767 views)
Shortcut
Re: [rlallo] Bryan Burke write in candidate for Mountain region. [In reply to] Can't Post

In reply to:
I suggest you do some research about how AZ ended up in the Mountain Region.

Well, why don't you just tell us here?

SStewart  (D 10405)

Nov 5, 2012, 10:52 AM
Post #4 of 12 (1757 views)
Shortcut
Re: [rlallo] Bryan Burke write in candidate for Mountain region. [In reply to] Can't Post

Nothing against you at all Ray. I do not know you and nobody here at my DZ has ever heard of you. I know Larry and served on the board with him. My DZO asked me to pass this on and I have done so.

PS I do not need to do any research, I was not in favor of the boundary change but now that it is done AZ is part of our region like it or not. The majority seemed to be in favor.

Premier DSE  (D 29060)

Nov 5, 2012, 11:39 AM
Post #5 of 12 (1741 views)
Shortcut

I'm confused; I was present at the meeting when Larry pledged the split as a means of gaining more control. As admirable and respectable both Bryan and Larry may be, it wouldn't be beneficial to the general membership to have two persons from the same DZ on the board.

(This post was edited by DSE on Nov 5, 2012, 12:32 PM)

rlallo  (D 11400)

Nov 5, 2012, 3:49 PM
Post #6 of 12 (1706 views)
Shortcut
Re: [SStewart] Bryan Burke write in candidate for Mountain region. [In reply to] Can't Post

No offense taken Scott. The boundary change took us all by surprise. You would know me very well from the old boundary lines. A couple points I want to make clear. Bryan is a very respectable individual and I have no ill feelings against him. Elections are a democratic process and the write in process is part of that. I commend him for joining the race. What I have to question is that Larry Hill shook my hand at the meeting in Minneapolis and said I had his complete support and also said he would not prop up a write in candidate against me. I shared my platform with him also. Please consider that I have followed the rules and process to get my name on the ballot. I am very passionate about supporting our region and USPA membership as a whole. I have only one agenda and that is supporting the region as your director and the other 34,000 members in our organization.

rlallo  (D 11400)

Nov 5, 2012, 3:52 PM
Post #7 of 12 (1704 views)
Shortcut

In reply to:
PS I do not need to do any research, I was not in favor of the boundary change but now that it is done AZ is part of our region like it or not. The majority seemed to be in favor.

Some of the majority was duped as was I.

bryanburke  (D 8866)

Nov 15, 2012, 10:19 AM
Post #8 of 12 (1583 views)
Shortcut

I guess I should make some clarifications. With all due respect to Dropzone.com, sometimes things get a little distorted.

Background on the change in AZ's regional status. When Larry brought this up to me, I was pretty skeptical as well. My basic question was, "why?" I still don't really know, Larry's arguements were that it would re-distribute the number of USPA members in the two regions in a more balanced way. He also noted that we get more jumpers from the Mt. Region here in AZ than we do from SoCal, that we supply planes and have other ties with the Mt. Region, and that we generally had more visits from the Mt. Director than the SoCal director. All true.

That said, the real reason Larry wants me as a write-in candidate is that a lot of people are retiring who are on the Competition Committee, and he thinks people with competition experience should be on that Committee. I'd have to recuse myself when voting on Nationals Site selection, so that's not a motive. Also, if Larry wins he plans to retire after this final term. I think he thinks I should get on the Board before he gets off.

It is a very long drive from Eloy to Denver, I would only be able to do it once a year. I've also heard some pretty bad stories about Colorado DZ politics and I don't really want to get involved. Finally, I've got a couple other non-skydiving projects in my life that don't leave me with a lot of free time.

Personally I would rather not be on the Board. I think I can serve the Competion Committee just fine as an advisor. There might be some people out there who think I'd be good on the board. If you really want to draft me, go ahead and write me in. If you are comfortable with the highly qualified candidate already on the ballot I see no reason not to support him. Arizona is sort of an independent district from either SoCal or Colorado anyway, so to me it makes sense for the Mt. Region to have a director closer to the Front Range DZs.

On a broader note, the whole Regional Director thing makes no sense to me. In theory they are responsible to uphold USPA Doctrine in their area, but they have little if any real authority, even if they did have the impartiality and guts to meddle in regional DZ rivalries and politics. I think it would make a lot more sense to just change the Constitution and make ALL directors National. In this era of modern travel, that would mean the most qualified candidates with the broadest base of support would be running USPA. But that's a whole different topic.

Larry and I don't always see eye-to-eye. He wants me on the board a lot more than I want to be on the board! I told him I did not seek the position but would not refuse it if people wrote me in.

Bryan Burke

rlallo  (D 11400)

Nov 15, 2012, 6:08 PM
Post #9 of 12 (1520 views)
Shortcut
Re: [bryanburke] Bryan Burke write in candidate for Mountain region. [In reply to] Can't Post

Bryan,

My name is Ray Lallo and I am the member on the ballot. Thank you for your post. I respect your honesty with regards to your post. I consider you a valued advisor to the competition side of the house as well as being a respected member of the skydiving community.

Your honesty about only being able to travel to Colorado as well as Utah as a Regional Director once a year is also respectable. As I have indicted as part as my platform is that the Regional Director should travel the region to support the S&TA’s but also remain visible to the Region’s membership. The Regional Director should also communicate business from USPA to the membership and also in turn communicate the Regional members concerns to the board while supporting their interests. Until USPA’s Constitution is changed (If ever), the Regional Director is at least a buffer between the politics of the Board and their membership. Strong, apolitical Regional Directors carry a lot weight on the board because they have a vote on USPA business that affects our sport.

As your Regional Director I will travel the region to keep my finger on the pulse of the region, support the S&TA’s and support the membership as a whole. As a Board member I will vote for what’s right and not succumb to political pressure or an individual’s personal agenda.

I welcome your support and look forward to working with you on regional business. I value your thoughts and ideas. Feel free to reach out to me anytime. Again, thank you for your post.

Respectfully,

Ray Lallo

Krip  (Student)

Nov 15, 2012, 11:14 PM
Post #10 of 12 (1489 views)
Shortcut

Hi

Byron and ray are both a class act. Thanks for acting like responsible adults.
CoolCoolCoolCool

SStewart  (D 10405)

Nov 17, 2012, 3:10 PM
Post #11 of 12 (1413 views)
Shortcut

So Ray, what is your position on the wingsuit rating?

rlallo  (D 11400)

Nov 19, 2012, 6:21 AM
Post #12 of 12 (1283 views)
Shortcut

Scott,
I answered this in my thread. Here ya go. Please feel free to reach out to me. btw, I will be doing my wingsuit training next month and looking forward to it.Smile

I am still gathering information. I held a Wingsuit instructor meeting at Mile High last month with Owen, Kip, Joel, Bj and Gary. A lot of good points and information was discussed. I will say that wingsuiting is one part of USPA. Please consider that your Regional Director will be involved in all aspects of our sport that affects 34,000 members. Please feel free to share your thoughts on the WSI issue with me. You thoughts matter. I will be holding another WSI information meeting very soon at Mile High. I will let you know the date.

Forums : Archive : 2013-2015 USPA BOD Elections

Search for (options)