Forums: Skydiving: General Skydiving Discussions:
Closing Pin Necklace, bought or earned?

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

ReluctantStool  (A 65507)

Oct 30, 2012, 1:01 PM
Post #1 of 64 (3080 views)
Shortcut
Closing Pin Necklace, bought or earned? Can't Post

I notice alot of Skydivers wear one, and I know they are abundantly available to purchase, but I would think it would be earned not bought. Any thoughts? Discuss!!! Smile

wolfriverjoe  (A 50013)

Oct 30, 2012, 1:14 PM
Post #2 of 64 (3030 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ReluctantStool] Closing Pin Necklace, bought or earned? [In reply to] Can't Post

Define "Earned."
It sounds like the Marine Corps ad. Angelic

I started wearing one when I got my rigger's ticket. The first one (I lost a couple) came out of the parts bin at the loft where I took my course.

CSpenceFLY  (D 25252)

Oct 30, 2012, 1:22 PM
Post #3 of 64 (3019 views)
Shortcut
Re: [wolfriverjoe] Closing Pin Necklace, bought or earned? [In reply to] Can't Post

Winner of a low pull contest? Sounds good to me.

Mr_Polite  (D 420)

Oct 30, 2012, 1:35 PM
Post #4 of 64 (2996 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ReluctantStool] Closing Pin Necklace, bought or earned? [In reply to] Can't Post

I earned mine by jumping a pilot chute so long that it gave me a bag lock. The new pilot chute came with a closing pin so i cut off my old one.

Oct 30, 2012, 1:35 PM
Post #5 of 64 (2996 views)
Shortcut
Re: [CSpenceFLY] Closing Pin Necklace, bought or earned? [In reply to] Can't Post

People spend a lot of time and money to become a Skydiver. Just makes sense I guess. You see it and you know that person Skydives, not they bought it at the gift shop because it looked cool lol, I dont know. Dumb question I guess. Crazy

wolfriverjoe  (A 50013)

Oct 30, 2012, 1:54 PM
Post #6 of 64 (2970 views)
Shortcut

In reply to:
People spend a lot of time and money to become a Skydiver. Just makes sense I guess. You see it and you know that person Skydives, not they bought it at the gift shop because it looked cool lol, I dont know. Dumb question I guess. Crazy

Not necessarily dumb, just a bit vague.

You mean "earned" as in a "real" skydiver. Not just a "One and Done" tandem passenger.

I've never seen one on anyone but a skydiver.

waveoff5500  (D 32087)

Oct 30, 2012, 2:21 PM
Post #7 of 64 (2937 views)
Shortcut
Re: [wolfriverjoe] Closing Pin Necklace, bought or earned? [In reply to] Can't Post

i have, kid in my dynamics class that had done a tandem.

i dont really like them but i would think most people get them when they feel theyve become a skydiver

catfishhunter  (D 28796)

Oct 30, 2012, 3:07 PM
Post #8 of 64 (2906 views)
Shortcut

Mine was given to me after I made my first solo. I wear it on a silver David Yurman Chain. I get lots of "wow I really like that charm what is it?" I then get to explain what it is and how it works. It has always been a positive experiance when it is noticed but I wear it for myself. Totems are a reminder after all and it reminds me that skies call......

chuckakers  (D 10855)

Oct 30, 2012, 3:24 PM
Post #9 of 64 (2886 views)
Shortcut

Bought - just like some people's ratings!

Oct 30, 2012, 3:32 PM
Post #10 of 64 (2868 views)
Shortcut
Re: [chuckakers] Closing Pin Necklace, bought or earned? [In reply to] Can't Post

Why are ratings so expensive lol, this A rating is costing a fortune!!!SmileSmile

airtwardo  (D License)

Oct 30, 2012, 5:56 PM
Post #11 of 64 (2798 views)
Shortcut
Re: [chuckakers] Closing Pin Necklace, bought or earned? [In reply to] Can't Post

In reply to:
Bought - just like some people's ratings!

I saw all kinds of 'em as jewelry in a head shop on Venice beach last year.

The real question is...how the hell did I end up in a head shop at Venice beach! Sly

Squeak  (E 1313)

Oct 30, 2012, 6:02 PM
Post #12 of 64 (2790 views)
Shortcut
Re: [catfishhunter] Closing Pin Necklace, bought or earned? [In reply to] Can't Post

In reply to:
Mine was given to me after I made my first solo. I wear it on a silver David Yurman Chain. I get lots of "wow I really like that charm what is it?" I then get to explain what it is and how it works. It has always been a positive experiance when it is noticed but I wear it for myself. Totems are a reminder after all and it reminds me that skies call......

I tell people it's a stylised Sperm, it signifies that Im hyper-Virile Want some?SlySlySlySlySlySly

Pacific

Oct 30, 2012, 6:40 PM
Post #13 of 64 (2767 views)
Shortcut

Some day you will earn your A license by demonstrating enough proficiency and paying your license fee. Despite the related humor and high expense, your A license is not a consumer product. The privilege that it bestows goes hand-in-hand with the responsibility that is required to use it.

As for my necklace...it's a silly ornament for the most part. I wasn't proficient or crafty enough to make/steal one. So I payed for it; therefore, I earned it. Tongue

loch1957

Oct 30, 2012, 6:43 PM
Post #14 of 64 (2762 views)
Shortcut
Re: [airtwardo] Closing Pin Necklace, bought or earned? [In reply to] Can't Post

What happens in Venice beach stays there.

Oct 30, 2012, 6:50 PM
Post #15 of 64 (2751 views)
Shortcut
Re: [loch1957] Closing Pin Necklace, bought or earned? [In reply to] Can't Post

Definitely looking forward to my A license, should get it this weekend!!! Smile

warjunky

Oct 30, 2012, 7:06 PM
Post #16 of 64 (2738 views)
Shortcut

It is not treated like a HOG's tooth, but it has a similar symbolism.

oldwomanc6

Oct 30, 2012, 7:11 PM
Post #17 of 64 (2734 views)
Shortcut
Re: [loch1957] Closing Pin Necklace, bought or earned? [In reply to] Can't Post

In reply to:
What happens in Venice beach stays there.

Jumping onto Venice Beach is a trip. Cool The Kites were a bitch, though! Shocked

labrys  (D 29848)

Oct 31, 2012, 6:01 AM
Post #18 of 64 (2616 views)
Shortcut
Re: [catfishhunter] Closing Pin Necklace, bought or earned? [In reply to] Can't Post

Quote:
Mine was given to me after I made my first solo.

Same here. I've tried to continue that tradition for others.

virgin-burner

Oct 31, 2012, 6:23 AM
Post #19 of 64 (2603 views)
Shortcut

made mine myself! gave a couple away to good friends, too! Smile

MikeJD  (D 10605)

Oct 31, 2012, 6:40 AM
Post #20 of 64 (2591 views)
Shortcut

I've had (and lost) a few over the years. The first was given to me by a dear friend, and another was cut off a worn-out bridle line on my old rig. I think I just bought my current one.

Lately I wear mine only occasionally, and never at the DZ. Some people think they're tacky, but I reckon they're kind of cool. I'm not a fan of 'look-at-me' skydiving t-shirts - I think it's much nicer to wear something that's discreet, but would be instantly recognisable to another jumper anywhere in the world. And I like objects whose functional design results in them being attractive, which I think closing pins are.

Don't let anybody tell you that you have to 'earn' a closing pin necklace. There's far too much preciousness in this sport. Wink

iambeav2  (D 29842)

Oct 31, 2012, 9:09 AM
Post #21 of 64 (2536 views)
Shortcut

I made mine myself. I jump a straight pin and when I needed a new PC, I (like an above poster) cut it off and made it using 550 and the king cobra knots. It's almost a choker and the closing pin actually closes the necklace itself.

Oct 31, 2012, 10:08 AM
Post #22 of 64 (2512 views)
Shortcut
Re: [iambeav2] Closing Pin Necklace, bought or earned? [In reply to] Can't Post

SmileYeah I figured when I earn my AFF rating, it would be a cool gesture to give someone I taught to fly one after they earned their A license. I just want to give back as much as possible. So many people have given me advice and helped me along my journey. One person in particular I believe I could never repay and will be in debt to them for life lol. It's just a fantastic sport that I cannot wait to indulge myself more in and I'm grateful for being given the opportunity to learn. Thanks everyone for the replies. Smile

jimmytavino  (A 3914)

Oct 31, 2012, 10:24 AM
Post #23 of 64 (2499 views)
Shortcut

i've been old school since the start and way before single pin bridles.... curved OR otherwise...Shocked

I quess that while i HAVE earned one... i simply have never BOUGHT one...Smile

IF i were to wear a necklace it would likely have a crucifix on it, rather than a closing pin, and would be kept UNDER my shirt, and Not out in view... Shocked
( thought i GET,,,,,, that THAT is the reason to wear One.)CoolWink

I like when i see them on women but not so much when i see them on men...

however... to each his Own !!

jmy

DanDanInc  (Student)

Oct 31, 2012, 11:57 AM
Post #24 of 64 (2450 views)
Shortcut

I was given mine to remind myself of my goals.

I got injured on my Cat B jump in 2006 pretty bad. Ended up in the ER with a hematoma on my left leg. (definitely a freak accident and most likely because it was a wicked hard opening and I was out of shape and 245lbs) 2 cat scans later, surgery, and a Jackson Pratt tube installed in my leg for a week post surgery meant I wasn't jumping anymore that season.

http://www.myspace.com/...le/hemmorage/2262024

http://www.dropzone.com/...0;page=unread#unread

I ended up getting super fat (275 lbs as of this summer roughly 115 days ago) and realized that I was ruining my life and wanted to finish what I started in 2006.

http://www.dropzone.com/...;;page=unread#unread

So...

I started going to the DZ with my family, purchased a closing pin to remind myself of my goal which was to go for my AFF again in 2013, become a licensed skydiver, and be a true role model for my kids. (There are so many role models in the sport right now and I want to be one of them too.)

Currently I am 247.5 lbs, eat right (besides cake I fucking love cake), and work out mon-friday.

I will become the skydiver I wanted to be in 2006 and I will earn the closing pin I wear every single day. This is my resolve.

I can tell you that no one has asked what it is unless they are a skydiver and I haven't run into any skydivers outside of my home DZ yet.

This was my little story about why I wear a closing pin and why I got mine. P.S. I was standing in the shop at my DZ talking with Don the day I got mine. I was talking to him about my story, what I had been doing for the previous 6 years, and he was meeting my kids and wife for the first time. Asked him to buy one and he just tossed it to me and said it was on him. Not a minute later a guy walked through after doing his 1st tandem and asked for the very same thing because one of his friends told him to buy it. $3 later he was psyched even though he probably didn't even know what it was he just bought. Cheers! Wink

Oct 31, 2012, 1:33 PM
Post #25 of 64 (2411 views)
Shortcut
Re: [DanDanInc] Closing Pin Necklace, bought or earned? [In reply to] Can't Post

Great Story, glad to see you are coming back stronger than ever and determined to make your dream a reality. That is fantastic bro. SmileSmileSmile Keep as all updated on your progress. Man....that is amazing!!!

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Skydiving : General Skydiving Discussions

Search for (options)