Forums: Skydiving: Gear and Rigging:
MC4 Paraflite and guardian

airbornesoon

Oct 29, 2012, 7:51 AM
Post #1 of 4 (586 views)
Shortcut
MC4 Paraflite and guardian Can't Post

anyone out there know if guardian had an offical contract with the US govt? i have an MC4 by paraflite myself, and i just got a new container and it was made by guardian. just curious if they filled some of the supply for the forces?

riggerrob  (D 14840)

Oct 29, 2012, 12:06 PM
Post #2 of 4 (537 views)
Shortcut
Re: [airbornesoon] MC4 Paraflite and guardian [In reply to] Can't Post

Once a parachute pattern is certified/approved for soldier use, the patterns are sealed and become government property.
Then the government (Defense Procurement, or whatever they call themselves in your country) put production contracts out for bids. Any company can bid on production contracts, but only a handful - with ISO 9000, TSO, etc. quality control certification - are taken seriously. Then the lowest bidder sews parachutes.

IOW There is no direct link between the company that designed the parachute and the company that manufactures it.

demoknite  (D License)

Oct 29, 2012, 1:06 PM
Post #3 of 4 (516 views)
Shortcut
Re: [airbornesoon] MC4 Paraflite and guardian [In reply to] Can't Post

In reply to:
anyone out there know if guardian had an offical contract with the US govt? i have an MC4 by paraflite myself, and i just got a new container and it was made by guardian. just curious if they filled some of the supply for the forces?

Yes, they had a contract. We had several quality control issues with them. Reserve pocket sewn all the way down. Velcro and ripcord pocket reversed on main side. Canopies with notes on them saying further testing required etc. We hated the Guardian rigs. They may still be making them.

airbornesoon

Oct 29, 2012, 1:11 PM
Post #4 of 4 (515 views)
Shortcut
Re: [demoknite] MC4 Paraflite and guardian [In reply to] Can't Post

thanks for the info guys, ill make sure to look for areas you described as well.. was there anything else that comes to my mind that they were turned around for quality control?

Forums : Skydiving : Gear and Rigging

Search for (options)