Forums: Skydiving: Incidents:
Night Jump Injury - High Sky Adventures - Canon City Colorado

Bandito

Oct 18, 2012, 4:19 PM
Post #1 of 16 (2890 views)
Shortcut
Night Jump Injury - High Sky Adventures - Canon City Colorado Can't Post

Just heard on the local news that there was an injury during a night jump. News said that the victim is Edward D'Elia, 44 years old.

http://www.coloradoconnection.com/...story.aspx?id=814644

(This post was edited by Bandito on Oct 18, 2012, 4:53 PM)

theonlyski  (D License)

Oct 19, 2012, 4:55 AM
Post #2 of 16 (2449 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Bandito] Night Jump Injury - High Sky Adventures - Canon City Colorado [In reply to] Can't Post

Quote:
Delia is an experienced skydiver with a B level license, which required a specific number of night jumps.

CrazyCrazyCrazy

Anyone know how much of an x-wind there was?

HeadFirstDave  (C License)

Oct 19, 2012, 6:28 AM
Post #3 of 16 (2355 views)
Shortcut
Re: [theonlyski] Night Jump Injury - High Sky Adventures - Canon City Colorado [In reply to] Can't Post

I was there watching the jumps, was gonna get on the next load.

The winds on the surface weren't bad at all, 5-7 mph maybe. However, up at 8000 feet (where they were jumping from) the winds were quite strong, probably over 30 mph. That's fall in colorado for you. It was tough to tell from the ground, but it seemed they got out of the plane downwind from the airfield, and didn't have much of a chance making it back. He jumped with two other jumpers who made it back a little closer, but Delia did not.

In the area he landed there is no source of light at all, and he probably had no way of seeing where the ground was. He was wearing a glow stick, but there was probably not enough light from it to see the surface.

theonlyski  (D License)

Oct 19, 2012, 6:30 AM
Post #4 of 16 (2350 views)
Shortcut
Re: [HeadFirstDave] Night Jump Injury - High Sky Adventures - Canon City Colorado [In reply to] Can't Post

In reply to:
I was there watching the jumps, was gonna get on the next load.

The winds on the surface weren't bad at all, 5-7 mph maybe. However, up at 8000 feet (where they were jumping from) the winds were quite strong, probably over 30 mph. That's fall in colorado for you. It was tough to tell from the ground, but it seemed they got out of the plane downwind from the airfield, and didn't have much of a chance making it back. He jumped with two other jumpers who made it back a little closer, but Delia did not.

In the area he landed there is no source of light at all, and he probably had no way of seeing where the ground was. He was wearing a glow stick, but there was probably not enough light from it to see the surface.

Thanks, that makes WAY more sense than the article did. Any idea as to how many jumps he's done (how many night jumps), gear and loading as well as extent of injuries?

pchapman  (D 1014)

Oct 19, 2012, 7:54 AM
Post #5 of 16 (2275 views)
Shortcut
Re: [HeadFirstDave] Night Jump Injury - High Sky Adventures - Canon City Colorado [In reply to] Can't Post

It is pretty common for surface winds to die off at night, while the uppers are still blowing strong. Although night jump spotting is tougher, standard spotting rules still apply when it comes to checking ground speed and drift (whether visually or also using GPS). The consequences of error becomes larger at night.

Oct 19, 2012, 7:59 AM
Post #6 of 16 (2265 views)
Shortcut
Re: [theonlyski] Night Jump Injury - High Sky Adventures - Canon City Colorado [In reply to] Can't Post

In reply to:
Any idea as to how many jumps he's done (how many night jumps), gear and loading as well as extent of injuries?

I don't have much of that info, it was my first day at the dropzone, and don't remember meeting him before hand.

When we first found him (I wasn't in the first group to show up, I was in the second vehicle). He was not very cognizant at all. He did have a lot of pain in one arm and one leg, and was obviously concussed pretty bad. He also had some cuts on his face and back of his head.

The third hand info I received a few hours later was that his only serious injury was the concussion.

Bill_K  (D 30260)

Oct 19, 2012, 8:40 AM
Post #7 of 16 (2212 views)
Shortcut

In reply to:
The third hand info I received a few hours later was that his only serious injury was the concussion.

Do you happen to know if he'd been wearing a helmet on said jump?

AdD  (D License)

Oct 19, 2012, 8:51 AM
Post #8 of 16 (2192 views)
Shortcut
Re: [pchapman] Night Jump Injury - High Sky Adventures - Canon City Colorado [In reply to] Can't Post

Quote:
Although night jump spotting is tougher, standard spotting rules still apply when it comes to checking ground speed and drift

Not to mention the aviation weather forecast for upper and lower winds.

Oct 19, 2012, 8:52 AM
Post #9 of 16 (2190 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Bill_K] Night Jump Injury - High Sky Adventures - Canon City Colorado [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't think he was. But its possible they took it off of him and put it somewhere else before I showed up.

RM1  (D 28681)

Oct 20, 2012, 6:32 PM
Post #10 of 16 (1679 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Bandito] Night Jump Injury - High Sky Adventures - Canon City Colorado [In reply to] Can't Post

I know this jumper fairly well. This was not his first night jump. I cannot speak to this specific jump as i was at home but he normally jumps a bonehead camera style helmet and occasionally has a contour on it. Im not sure on his total jump numbers but he is a regular and makes a number of jumps every weekend. I can speak to the winds aloft comments and i can tell you that in our location they are nearly useless. The closest facility is pueblo and that is roughly 30 miles away and they do not have the mountains to contend with that we do. It is not abnormal for Pueblo to report uppers out of the north while our airport will be clearly out of the west. They plane the up jumpers use does not have a gps to aid in determining winds alot and i highly doubt even the most experienced jump pilots can figure it out at night with out one.

On a side note as everyone knows how well Bandito (Bob P) and i get along i would like to point out that another Colorado dz crashed their king air 3 weeks ago and not one post or incident ever showed up but when one of skips jumpers who was appropriately rated for the jump has a rough landing and he cant wait to post about it.

Only Colorado

JohnMitchell  (D 6462)

Oct 21, 2012, 7:17 AM
Post #12 of 16 (1456 views)
Shortcut
Re: [RM1] Night Jump Injury - High Sky Adventures - Canon City Colorado [In reply to] Can't Post

In reply to:
i would like to point out that another Colorado dz crashed their king air 3 weeks ago and not one post or incident ever showed up
Sounds like you guys have a bad case of DZ politics going around.

Post away. Smile

chuckakers  (D 10855)

Oct 22, 2012, 5:18 AM
Post #15 of 16 (1053 views)
Shortcut

In reply to:
The winds on the surface weren't bad at all, 5-7 mph maybe. However, up at 8000 feet (where they were jumping from) the winds were quite strong, probably over 30 mph. That's fall in colorado for you....

That's actually fairly common in many areas.

vincemoore88  (D 32404)

Oct 22, 2012, 11:40 AM
Post #16 of 16 (877 views)
Shortcut
Re: [chuckakers] Night Jump Injury - High Sky Adventures - Canon City Colorado [In reply to] Can't Post

Any word on the jumpers injuries?

Forums : Skydiving : Incidents

Search for (options)