Forums: Community: Skydivers with Disabilities:
Bad back

music321

Oct 19, 2012, 6:38 PM
Post #1 of 7 (1062 views)
Shortcut
Bad back Can't Post

I was nailed by a drunk driver years ago. I'm in my 30s with the back of an 80 year old. I'd like to skydive, but have heard that under ideal circumstances, one hits the ground with the force of jumping from 10 feet above the ground without a chute. Is this true? If this is the case, I don't think that my back could take it. any thoughts? Thanks.

OneJumpWally  (A License)

Oct 19, 2012, 6:58 PM
Post #2 of 7 (1046 views)
Shortcut
Re: [music321] Bad back [In reply to] Can't Post

go for it . fly a LARGE canopy. with the right wind, training and canopy you can land like a feather.

AviationTD  (A License)

Oct 20, 2012, 3:53 AM
Post #3 of 7 (1027 views)
Shortcut

That is not true, but it can happen if you make a mistake. With the right training, you can land like a angel.Angelic

Premier wmw999  (D 6296)

Oct 20, 2012, 5:59 AM
Post #4 of 7 (1023 views)
Shortcut
Re: [AviationTD] Bad back [In reply to] Can't Post

Quote:
With the right training
and choice of canopy. By choosing carefully, you introduce a whole lot more certainty. You can land any canopy lightly in the right conditions -- a big enough canopy, chosen for soft landings rather than other characteristics, will give you a better likelihood of landing really softly even if conditions aren't perfect.

There are no guarantees -- anyone can get caught by a rogue wind gust, dust devil, or last-minute traffic issue, but with training and canopy choice you can reduce the likelihood a whole bunch. There are people with thousands of jumps who have never been injured, really.

Wendy P.

jackwallace  (Student)

Oct 20, 2012, 9:27 AM
Post #5 of 7 (1019 views)
Shortcut

Don't do it.
Choices here: Jumpin- hard openig, paralysis. Terminal reserve opening, paralysis. Hard landing, paralysis. Twisted landing, paralysis.

Not jumping, A little less fun.

music321

Oct 20, 2012, 12:51 PM
Post #6 of 7 (1012 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jackwallace] Bad back [In reply to] Can't Post

thanks for all of the replies. at this point, i'm leaning away from doing it, and might go for a hot air balloon ride instead.

adagen

Oct 22, 2012, 5:46 AM
Post #7 of 7 (965 views)
Shortcut

If you want the sensation of freefall, you could try going to a wind tunnel. That removes the hard opening / hard landing problems.

Forums : Community : Skydivers with Disabilities

Search for (options)