Forums: General: Introductions and Greets:
Hello from Western NC

TDFbound

Oct 17, 2012, 12:04 PM
Post #1 of 6 (303 views)
Shortcut
Hello from Western NC Can't Post

Hey everybody, this is the beginning of my vertical adventures. I've done plenty of horizontal exploring and backpacking and camping and whatnot, but I've had the bug to go skydiving and base jumping for YEARS. I still hope to increase my skills and knowledge of climbing and mountaineering, but learning to skydive is much more affordable and attainable to me at this point in life.

I'm 26 years old, married for over 3 years, have a Rottweiler puppy and a corn snake, and am an avid bicycle rider/racer. I'm in the USMC Reserves, but I currently have paperwork floating around to send me to active duty. I'm a bit of a firearms fanatic, and enjoy some of the "survivalist" type stuff, but I'm not a nut job thinking the .gov is "out to get me."

Depending on when I get my orders to go active, I will try to do my AFF program at Skydive Carolina near Spartanburg, SC. If I get orders sooner than later, I'll end up around Jacksonville, NC before I get a chance to do it.

Anybody here live in the Upstate SC or Western NC areas? Maybe it would be nice to meet some folks around here that have already jumped out of planes and lived.

Side note: I read the forum rules and FAQ, but I still can't figure out how to create an avatar. I went to profile settings and found where I can create a signature, but there was no box for uploading a picture for an avatar or icon. Hints?

A

wolfriverjoe  (A 50013)

Oct 17, 2012, 2:23 PM
Post #2 of 6 (284 views)
Shortcut
Re: [TDFbound] Hello from Western NC [In reply to] Can't Post

In the "My profile" page, there should be an "add picture" button, upper left, next to the "Edit Profile" button. It's on the first page of your profile, it isn't on the "Edit" page.

Oh, yeah. Welcome. Have you jumped yet?

TDFbound

Oct 17, 2012, 2:51 PM
Post #3 of 6 (279 views)
Shortcut
Re: [wolfriverjoe] Hello from Western NC [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks for the picture help- I got what I wanted.

No, haven't jumped yet. Frown Can't decide what route to take- my wife kinda wants to do it with me, so I don't know if I should get us both tandem jumps, or have us both do the first AFF jump. She can't decide if she wants to do more than one jump, so I'm kinda torn between the two- I almost feel like paying for a tandem jump for me is a waste of money since I know I am going to do the AFF program. Any thoughts?

wolfriverjoe  (A 50013)

Oct 17, 2012, 3:14 PM
Post #4 of 6 (275 views)
Shortcut

It can't hurt. Some places require a tandem jump first. It gets the "Holy Shit I Just Jumped Out Of A Plane" sensory overload taken care of under controlled circumstances.
It's really common for the first jump to be more of an "experience" experience than a "learning" experience.
And you can learn a lot on a tandem jump if you get an instructor who is willing to teach you.
Many don't bother, because they know the "student" is a one-and-done deal. But if you make sure that they know you are going on to AFF, they can teach you quite a lot.

Or your wife could do a tandem and you do the FJC for AFF. You don't have to both do the same thing. You wouldn't be "with" her for the jump anyway, except maybe on the plane, which is possible to do even if you don't both do the same type of jump. That would require a good bit of planning, so I'd ask the DZ about it.

TDFbound

Oct 17, 2012, 3:43 PM
Post #5 of 6 (273 views)
Shortcut
Re: [wolfriverjoe] Hello from Western NC [In reply to] Can't Post

Gotcha- I'll see if we can do different jumps, then, with my wife on tandem and me starting the AFF. This just looks like such a fun thing to do! I've done plenty other things in life where I had those "WTF did I just get myself into?" moments, so I'm not at all worried about that feeling with this.

I've been reading around on here, and it seems like there are various ways to spend more time at a DZ and increase chances of learning and doing more jumps. Somebody mentioned packing tandem chutes for a small fee and using that to pay for jumps- is this something a beginner can be taught to do? I honestly think I'll be into jumping for the long haul, and it doesn't cost near as much as some other hobbies I have- I spent over $2000 recently on new guns and ammo and holsters... That would more than pay for completing a 7-jump AFF including gas money and food. However, if I could do something that would get me a bit of experience and reduce cost of jumps, I could jump more and progress faster.

Premier skymama  (D 26699)
Oct 18, 2012, 7:24 AM
Post #6 of 6 (244 views)
Shortcut

Welcome to the forums! Smile To answer your question about packing, you should talk to someone at your dz about that. There is probably someone in charge of the packing tent and the rotation of the packers and rigs that get dropped off. You don't want to step on anyone's toes by just going in and saying you'll do pack jobs.

Forums : General : Introductions and Greets

Search for (options)