Forums: Skydiving: General Skydiving Discussions:
Anyone think the Stratos cgi video was done better than the real thing?

Poll: Who else thinks the cgi video was done better than the real thing?
CGI Video was better 5 / 36%
Real video was done better 9 / 64%
14 total votes

shibu  (C 42074)

Oct 16, 2012, 5:03 AM
Post #1 of 11 (1001 views)
Shortcut
Anyone think the Stratos cgi video was done better than the real thing? Can't Post

I'm not taking anything away from the actual jump. It was a great achievement. But with 35 camera angles capturing the jump, I was surprised that most of the videos I saw were not as clear or as entertaining as alot of regular jump videos I have seen.

I have a renewed respect for all of the video guys out there.

Too bad there wasn't room in the capsule for a video guy. Wink

CGI Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VCqnQq86fkY

Real Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FHtvDA0W34I

(This post was edited by shibu on Oct 16, 2012, 9:52 AM)

mjosparky  (D 5476)

Oct 16, 2012, 3:01 PM
Post #2 of 11 (811 views)
Shortcut
Re: [shibu] Anyone think the Stratos cgi video was done better than the real thing? [In reply to] Can't Post

In reply to:
I'm not taking anything away from the actual jump. It was a great achievement. But with 35 camera angles capturing the jump, I was surprised that most of the videos I saw were not as clear or as entertaining as alot of regular jump videos I have seen.

I have a renewed respect for all of the video guys out there.

Too bad there wasn't room in the capsule for a video guy. Wink

CGI Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VCqnQq86fkY

Real Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FHtvDA0W34I

You do know that most of the first video was computer generated spliced in with staged shots?

Sparky

Shredex

Oct 16, 2012, 3:50 PM
Post #3 of 11 (793 views)
Shortcut
Re: [shibu] Anyone think the Stratos cgi video was done better than the real thing? [In reply to] Can't Post

The real footy will be done better once they release the final version. They will probably be selling a DVD with tons of footage.

propblast

Oct 16, 2012, 4:05 PM
Post #4 of 11 (784 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Shredex] Anyone think the Stratos cgi video was done better than the real thing? [In reply to] Can't Post

I was lucky in that my computer didn't lock up during his jump. When he left the platform, that initial drop was awesome! Much better than the CGI.

(This post was edited by propblast on Oct 16, 2012, 4:07 PM)

Premier Remster  (C License)

Oct 16, 2012, 4:22 PM
Post #5 of 11 (762 views)
Shortcut
Re: [propblast] Anyone think the Stratos cgi video was done better than the real thing? [In reply to] Can't Post

Quote:
Much better than the CGI.

For goodness fucking sake's. It was fucking real. That's how much fucking better than CGI it was. It was fucking real.

Kids these days and their xbox's.

CSpenceFLY  (D 25252)

Oct 16, 2012, 5:16 PM
Post #6 of 11 (744 views)
Shortcut

So you are asking which is better, real or fake.

CrazyCrazyCrazy

shibu  (C 42074)

Oct 17, 2012, 4:21 AM
Post #7 of 11 (685 views)
Shortcut
Re: [CSpenceFLY] Anyone think the Stratos cgi video was done better than the real thing? [In reply to] Can't Post

In reply to:
So you are asking which is better, real or fake.

CrazyCrazyCrazy

Ok. Clearly I stand corrected.

But just to be clear, I was just asking about which finished video looked better. I guess they did have alot more time to finish off the cgi.

Most of the real video left alot to be desired for me. Most of the freefall had pretty poor resolution.

I suppose I was hoping for more high res clips from cameras mounted on him.

mr2mk1g  (C 103449)

Oct 17, 2012, 5:18 AM
Post #8 of 11 (681 views)
Shortcut

Of course the product looks "better" in some ways. With CGI there are literally infinate camera angles (including physically impossible ones) and months if not years to produce the video.

The other one is from 35 cameras on a jump that happened 3 days ago where they're saving all the good shots for the documentary released later this year and hell, it's not like they could get Norman Kent to fly outside camera.

What did you want him to do - turn points as he hit mach 1.2? (In fact, he looked to be doing some of the fastest style inverts/rotations I've ever seen - maybe he should hit nationals this year?) That always used to be shot with ground-to-air too - dya think they'll accept video submissions? Laugh

propblast

Oct 17, 2012, 9:09 AM
Post #9 of 11 (635 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Remster] Anyone think the Stratos cgi video was done better than the real thing? [In reply to] Can't Post

In reply to:
Quote:
Much better than the CGI.

For goodness fucking sake's. It was fucking real. That's how much fucking better than CGI it was. It was fucking real.

Kids these days and their xbox's.

Kind of my point...

shibu  (C 42074)

Oct 22, 2012, 3:32 AM
Post #10 of 11 (520 views)
Shortcut
Re: [mr2mk1g] Anyone think the Stratos cgi video was done better than the real thing? [In reply to] Can't Post

In reply to:
Of course the product looks "better" in some ways....

The other one is from 35 cameras on a jump that happened 3 days ago where they're saving all the good shots for the documentary released later this year...

That makes sense. I look forward to the documentary.

In reply to:
and hell, it's not like they could get Norman Kent to fly outside camera.

I guess that's what I was hoping for. Video that approaches the clarity & resolution that I see on sub 15k ft dives. I've seen some really clear videos from people with chest mounted cameras. I really want to see some of these clips in the documentary. I have also seen some pretty crappy video on HALO jumps on youtube. Is that from condensation on the camera lens? I'm sure the Redbulll team took this into account.
What did you want him to do - turn points as he hit mach 1.2? Laugh
No. just clearer / closer footage of what he did.

mjosparky  (D 5476)

Oct 22, 2012, 9:12 PM
Post #11 of 11 (438 views)
Shortcut

In reply to:
I've seen some really clear videos from people with chest mounted cameras.

Belly cameras are usually used on loads with other people on the dive. On a solo there is nothing to see 25+ miles up. Any time you go high, 30K+, everything changes. Wink

Sparky

Forums : Skydiving : General Skydiving Discussions

Search for (options)