Forums: Skydiving: Gear and Rigging:
Suunto X10 GPS/Altimeter Watch Reviews?

contract

Oct 14, 2012, 10:40 PM
Post #1 of 3 (948 views)
Shortcut
Suunto X10 GPS/Altimeter Watch Reviews? Can't Post

I coincidentally need both a GPS and a new altimeter at this time and saw the Suunto X10 GPS / Alti watch... I've never used a watch altimeter before and I was hoping to get some feedback about how effective it is as an alti and GPS and how comfortable / reliable / durable it is. Thanks in advance!

dragon2  (D 101989)

Oct 15, 2012, 9:23 AM
Post #2 of 3 (886 views)
Shortcut
Re: [contract] Suunto X10 GPS/Altimeter Watch Reviews? [In reply to] Can't Post

A quick recap from the big number of threads on here about suunto watches:

- even though these watches are not made for freefall and suunto does not recommend them for freefall, if you're a experienced jumper (think tandem master here) then you will probably be ok with a suunto alti watch.
- the numbers are (much) smaller than on a real skydiving alti, you usually get 4. So it will show 8560 ft in freefall instead of a big 8.5 on a real digital skydiving alti.
- it will have a bit more lag in freefall than a real skydiving alti (it isn't made to refresh that fast, and it couldn't because otherwise the numbers would flash by too fast to read)
- it is very easy to push a button so it won't show you altitude but pressure or some other menu item instead. I've seen one or two models with a lock but most don't seem to have this function.
- keep an eye on the battery, this goes for any digital alti
- I seem to remember that an alti watch isn't allowed on all dzs but can't remember where I've heard that or which dzs. YMMV.

All in all, I've owed 2 suuntos and I've sold the first and keep the 2nd for a regular watch. I jump a neptune instead. Even though i rarely look at my alti as I fly camera, the small display still bugs me. It's harder to read and also reflects more light it seems. So, not for me.

dragon2  (D 101989)

Oct 15, 2012, 9:27 AM
Post #3 of 3 (884 views)
Shortcut
Re: [contract] Suunto X10 GPS/Altimeter Watch Reviews? [In reply to] Can't Post

As for the gps part, I jumped a gps suunto (xlander?) a couple times but no lock inside the plane, so worthless for spotting. It also had trouble in a forest, so again, not so good even for "regular" purposes.

If you want a gps that works inside an airplane and out and you can wear as a watch, I'd recommend the garmin foretrex 401 (there's also a new version announced that might be suitable)

Forums : Skydiving : Gear and Rigging

Search for (options)