Forums: Skydiving: Gear and Rigging:
Altitrack digital altimeter fails on the way up to altitude

vanessalh  (D 33301)

Oct 14, 2012, 8:55 PM
Post #1 of 6 (685 views)
Shortcut
Altitrack digital altimeter fails on the way up to altitude Can't Post

Hey,

I was wondering whether anyone has had this happen to them before.

I had a pretty concerning thing happen today with my altitrack altimeter.
I've put about 40 jumps on it, and noticed today that it wasn't recording any of my jumps. I turned it off and on again in the hope that this would fix it and then got on the next load.

On the way up to altitude it fritzed out, and reset itself multiple times to 0. This was pretty concerning for me, since I had to rely on others in my formation for break off altitude and eyeball my landing pattern.

Is this a sign of a defective unit? I'm a little afraid to jump again with it and have contacted the manufacturer.

I was comfortable jumping because I was with a formation (and have budding skills in eyeballing altitude), but would have been quite worried if I was solo.

Premier NWFlyer  (D 29960)

Oct 14, 2012, 9:04 PM
Post #2 of 6 (671 views)
Shortcut
Re: [vanessalh] Altitrack digital altimeter fails on the way up to altitude [In reply to] Can't Post

Check the battery level. If the batteries are fine, you likely have a defective unit. L&B provides fantastic service - just follow the instructions on their web site to send it back and you'll get a repaired (or possibly brand-new) unit soon. Cool

CarpeDiem3  (D License)

Oct 15, 2012, 9:04 AM
Post #3 of 6 (564 views)
Shortcut
Re: [vanessalh] Altitrack digital altimeter fails on the way up to altitude [In reply to] Can't Post

Buy a mechanical altimeter that does not depend upon batteries to function properly.

waveoff5500  (D 32087)

Oct 15, 2012, 9:07 AM
Post #4 of 6 (560 views)
Shortcut
Re: [CarpeDiem3] Altitrack digital altimeter fails on the way up to altitude [In reply to] Can't Post

lol my digital alti died in freefall this weekend. i watched it turn off as i turned to track. Tongue

phoenixlpr  (D 3049)

Oct 15, 2012, 9:12 AM
Post #5 of 6 (552 views)
Shortcut
Re: [CarpeDiem3] Altitrack digital altimeter fails on the way up to altitude [In reply to] Can't Post

In reply to:
Buy a mechanical altimeter that does not depend upon batteries to function properly.

Another good reason not to buy as the first altimeter, but when you are ready to safely land without a working altimeter.

Shredex

Oct 15, 2012, 3:15 PM
Post #6 of 6 (504 views)
Shortcut

I jump with a bag of potato chips. I squeeze the bag to know what altitude I'm at.

Forums : Skydiving : Gear and Rigging

Search for (options)