Forums: Skydiving: Skydiving History & Trivia:
DB Cooper

First page Previous page 1 ... 1470 1471 1472 1473 1474 1475 1476 1477 1478 ... 2184 Next page Last page  View All

Farflung

Oct 14, 2012, 3:21 PM
Post #36826 of 54580 (30360 views)
Shortcut
Even More Maths And Stuff, Or Another Bud Light [In reply to] Can't Post

Here’s a bonus math problem for those that believe Flight 305 could have been off course for some unknown number of miles, but can’t figure any potential limits. It’s a brain teaser that could be used with great pedantic effect at work tomorrow, cuz chicks dig, guys who dig maths.

There was a series of goals which were on the ‘Red Bull Stratos’ list of things to accomplish:

1. Set a new altitude record for skydiving.

2. Achieve mach-plus in a freefall.

3. Break the freefall time record.

What we have here is the old equation about Good, Fast and Cheap….. pick two. You can’t have all three….. or do we?

So do the lines cross where achieving mach (going way fast) would eliminate the ability to break the longest freefall (which favors going wicked slower)? Were they ever separate and equally achievable goals from FL1200 (I made up the FL as they only go to three digits) to BFE, New Mexico (KROW Field Elevation 3,671)?

It’s so science-y!

RobertMBlevins

Oct 14, 2012, 3:28 PM
Post #36827 of 54580 (30357 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Farflung] Even More Maths And Stuff, Or Another Bud Light [In reply to] Can't Post

In reply to:
Here’s a bonus math problem for those that believe Flight 305 could have been off course for some unknown number of miles, but can’t figure any potential limits. It’s a brain teaser that could be used with great pedantic effect at work tomorrow, cuz chicks dig, guys who dig maths.

There was a series of goals which were on the ‘Red Bull Stratos’ list of things to accomplish:

1. Set a new altitude record for skydiving.

2. Achieve mach-plus in a freefall.

3. Break the freefall time record.

What we have here is the old equation about Good, Fast and Cheap….. pick two. You can’t have all three….. or do we?

So do the lines cross where achieving mach (going way fast) would eliminate the ability to break the longest freefall (which favors going wicked slower)? Were they ever separate and equally achievable goals from FL1200 (I made up the FL as they only go to three digits) to BFE, New Mexico (KROW Field Elevation 3,671)?

It’s so science-y!

#1 and #2=Yes

#3=No

Georger: Go whine to Red Bull. They're the ones who put up those speed numbers.

georger

Oct 14, 2012, 5:05 PM
Post #36828 of 54580 (30328 views)
Shortcut
Re: [RobertMBlevins] Even More Maths And Stuff, Or Another Bud Light [In reply to] Can't Post

HUH!?

Speed numbers?

RobertMBlevins

Oct 14, 2012, 5:48 PM
Post #36829 of 54580 (30324 views)
Shortcut
Re: [georger] Even More Maths And Stuff, Or Another Bud Light [In reply to] Can't Post

In reply to:

HUH!?

Speed numbers?
Well, since virtually every post where you comment on something I've said is an insult...I accidentally mixed up you and Farf. An understandable error, considering your history.

Farf: Go whine to Red Bull...etc. Cool

smokin99

Oct 14, 2012, 6:11 PM
Post #36830 of 54580 (30315 views)
Shortcut
Re: [RobertMBlevins] Even More Maths And Stuff, Or Another Bud Light [In reply to] Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

HUH!?

Speed numbers?

Well, since virtually every post where you comment on something I've said is an insult...I accidentally mixed up you and Farf. An understandable error, considering your history.

Blevins: Maybe you should go back to Red Bull, read the numbers, then re-read Farf's post and maybe you'll get what he means.

(This post was edited by smokin99 on Oct 14, 2012, 6:15 PM)

Robert99

Oct 14, 2012, 6:42 PM
Post #36831 of 54580 (30305 views)
Shortcut
Re: [smokin99] Even More Maths And Stuff, Or Another Bud Light [In reply to] Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
In reply to:

HUH!?

Speed numbers?

Blevins: Maybe you should go back to Red Bull, read the numbers, then re-read Farf's post and maybe you'll get what he means.
Blevins, Before you start accepting the "Mach plus" number from Red Bull as "Revealed Truth From On High", please answer a few simple questions to help alleviate my ignorance on the subject.

1. What is the definition of "Mach Number"?

2. What is the speed of sound in a vacuum?

3. What is the speed of sound in a "near vacuum"?

4. Is speed of sound "measured directly" or is it "calculated"?

5. What is the temperature in a vacuum?

6. What is the temperature in a "near vacuum"?

7. How is temperature in a vacuum or near vacuum determined?

8. Are factors such as "g" (the acceleration due gravity) and "R" (the universal gas constant) used either directly or indirectly in determining the speed of sound?

9. Are any of the factors used in determining the speed of sound a function of altitude, temperature, or any other physical parameter that was encountered in today's jump?

I look forward to your detailed answers.

Robert99

RobertMBlevins

Oct 14, 2012, 6:50 PM
Post #36832 of 54580 (30303 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Robert99] Even More Maths And Stuff, Or Another Bud Light [In reply to] Can't Post

Robert99: Already been to school, and you aren't my teacher. If you have a different velocity or whatever, just say so. Sure, I'll buy it.

How about this: He jumped from REALLY REALLY high and landed somewhere in the New Mexico desert without killing himself. On the way down, he was probably going REALLY FRIGGIN' FAST. (*laughs*)

Edit: Link to the last 14 minutes of the jump at YouTube. Maybe if you bounce a radar beam off Felix's image in the video, you can determine his exact speed. You never know.

You guys kill me sometimes, you really do.

*Goes back to Sunday Night Football*

(This post was edited by RobertMBlevins on Oct 14, 2012, 6:59 PM)

Robert99

Oct 14, 2012, 7:08 PM
Post #36834 of 54580 (30285 views)
Shortcut

In reply to:
Robert99: Already been to school, and you aren't my teacher. If you have a different velocity or whatever, just say so. Sure, I'll buy it.

How about this: He jumped from REALLY REALLY high and landed somewhere in the New Mexico desert without killing himself. On the way down, he was probably going REALLY FRIGGIN' FAST. (*laughs*)

Edit: Link to the last 14 minutes of the jump at YouTube. Maybe if you bounce a radar beam off Felix's image in the video, you can determine his exact speed. You never know.

Blevins, What the heck? You claim to be a teacher of writing or whatever to the children of Auburn, or at least those that find their way to the Auburn theater.

Now a genuine student seeking knowledge (meaning me) has been flipped off by you. I AM disappointed.

Robert99

Robert99

Oct 14, 2012, 7:19 PM
Post #36835 of 54580 (30507 views)
Shortcut
Re: [skyjack71] Finger Prints [In reply to] Can't Post

In reply to:
Since you guys seem to want to waste time repeating things that have already been discussed and investigated to death - go ahead.

Jo, I am shocked by your statement! If you know of a single person on this thread who does that, report them to Quade and ask thay they be permanently banned! I'm sure that any number of others on this thread will also support you on that.

Robert99

mrshutter45

Oct 14, 2012, 7:20 PM
Post #36836 of 54580 (30506 views)
Shortcut

Jo, I don't understand how you can't understand the FBI has over 25 sets of his prints! just because Ohio didn't know what he did in
Texas doesn't change the fact of the prints being sent to the FBI. (Ohio/ Texas are examples)

"The prints were forwarded to the FBI just like all of the other 26 arrests under his various alias names."

they could have missed 50 as I mentioned before, the bottom line is they have his prints.

also as I mentioned, the picture of Duane in 1968 is not very convincing of him being Cooper IMHO

another hurdle to get over is the fact of him always wearing glasses, almost all of your pictures shows him wearing glasses.

mrshutter45

Oct 14, 2012, 7:31 PM
Post #36838 of 54580 (30499 views)
Shortcut

I understand! got it, you ask people to look at your comments and when they disagree you don't want to talk about....

no problem!

smokin99

Oct 14, 2012, 7:43 PM
Post #36841 of 54580 (30507 views)
Shortcut

Quote:

Lol...Blevins, you probably wouldn't be catching any grief if you had just said this in the first place?

Quote:

No one needs to bounce a radar beam...The way I figure if the mission team didn't get his exact speed, then in some ways, this experiment is all for naught. But that's not the point. I'm reasonably sure they got it right.

Here's what kills me...you just put stuff out there without checking or really even reading the facts and then you shrug it off like it's no big deal when someone calls you on it.
And if it's not a big deal -- why post it in the first place or respond when someone points out that what you posted was inaccurate?

Hell even on terra firma a difference of a mere 5 miles/hr in speed can increase a fine anywhere from $250,00 - $500.00. Maybe more if past offenses. My point being -- Accuracy is indeed relative to this mission. Smile

(This post was edited by smokin99 on Oct 14, 2012, 7:46 PM)

Robert99

Oct 14, 2012, 7:47 PM
Post #36842 of 54580 (30503 views)
Shortcut

In reply to:
In reply to:
I understand! got it, you ask people to look at your comments and when they disagree you don't want to talk about....

no problem!

For Heaven Sake - you all are acting alike a bunch of teenages.
Read my post I made in reply to Robt's statement
!

Jo, Have you been appointed our Den Mother? I didn't get the memo.

Robert99

Farflung

Oct 14, 2012, 7:54 PM
Post #36843 of 54580 (30499 views)
Shortcut
Tweet: Ask Mr. Science! [In reply to] Can't Post

Mr. Science, I’m hopelessly lost when it comes to calculating speeds and women. Could you teach me how to be faster with both? Sincerely, Un-functionally Literate.

Of course Mr. Science can help you Un-func. But something tells Mr. Science that you have underestimated exactly how much help you would need with women, and Mr. Science can’t change time, physics or someone who showers with, drinks and excretes ‘girl repellant’ out of every syllable uttered. But Mr. Science can help you with things like calculating speeds.

You may use km/h or mph depending on the model of Segway you ride. Since Mr. Science is a heterosexual, he must convert speed measurements to MPH. I’ll begin by reading the ‘Red Bull’ site which is predominantly in English. There is a reference to 1.24 mach at roughly 1,342.8 km/h which converts to a chick magnety 832.5 MPH (Manly Perfect He-man). Anyone could convert these values with access to the internet and any free time, which some struggle with because they can’t chew gum, watch TV and get things right the first time. Mr. Science can parallel process many things and keep those skills honed, which others can only bitch and complain about. Mr. Science understands their envy.

Now that the speed is known in MPH, one could ‘back in’ the values from a table of altitudes. Mr. Science found one that goes to 60,000 feet which lists the speed of sound at 659.8 MPH. Oh nooooooooo! Mr. Science made a mistake because that speed doesn’t match…. Psych… Mr. Science is simply amusing himself with others ignorance and inadequacies, which manifest in puffing as a form of failed overcompensation. For the 659.8 must be multiplied by the mach value, which results in 818 miles per hour for 1.24 mach at 60,000 feet. That’s a solution which is within 2% of the ‘Red Bull’ numbers, and close enough for ‘private sector’ work.

Mr. Science has been more than happy to explain in detail, something which more than likely makes little sense to the ‘Twitter’ generation, who have clearly mastered technology, rather than be its bitch.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=putQn89TQzc

Remember, whenever you need an honest, humble and accurate answer, you can always; Ask Mr. Science!
Attachments: Mr Science.jpg (140 KB)

smokin99

Oct 14, 2012, 8:47 PM
Post #36845 of 54580 (30472 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Farflung] Tweet: Ask Mr. Science! [In reply to] Can't Post

One last post about the jump.

Whatever the final results are certified to be...It was pretty awesome (and i mean that literally) Wink

I get the heebie jeebies everytime I watch it at the part before he steps off. Looked like way too much stuff to snag his suit on. And the part where he was tumbling/spinning was tense.

Some random tweets:

That awkward moment when you realize an energy drink has a better space program than your nation.

It is clear that Felix dude is not a cat. We cats have way more sense than that.

FUN FACT: The capsule has a special compartment to accommodate Felix Baumgartner's enormous balls.

Mission accomplished! Smile

georger

Oct 14, 2012, 9:01 PM
Post #36846 of 54580 (30464 views)
Shortcut
Re: [smokin99] Tweet: Ask Mr. Science! [In reply to] Can't Post

In reply to:
One last post about the jump.

Whatever the final results are certified to be...It was pretty awesome (and i mean that literally) Wink

! Smile

agree. any idea if the chute opened automatically
at some altitude? at what velocity?

Farflung

Oct 14, 2012, 9:08 PM
Post #36847 of 54580 (30459 views)
Shortcut
Re: [smokin99] Tweet: Ask Mr. Science! [In reply to] Can't Post

Couldn’t agree more smokin99; having some caffeine and taurine (read: speed) laced soft drink, pimp slap NASA is astonishing. Being able to watch an aerospace record being broken, live, in my boxer shorts, only adds to the irony of how far the pendulum must swing in the other direction. Like twitter, Lisa Nowak and the DBC thread.

Amazon  (D License)

Oct 14, 2012, 10:02 PM
Post #36848 of 54580 (30447 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Farflung] Maths And Stuff [In reply to] Can't Post

Sly http://www.dropzone.com/...t;postatt_id=135741;

RobertMBlevins

Oct 14, 2012, 11:08 PM
Post #36849 of 54580 (30438 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Amazon] Maths And Stuff [In reply to] Can't Post

From Juan Carlos Riorca's article for the Associated Press:

Quote:
'ROSWELL — Officials say that Felix Baumgartner has become the first skydiver to break the speed of sound.

At a news conference, Brian Utley of the International Federation of Sports Aviation said Baumgartner reached a maximum speed of 833.9 mph during his jump Sunday over the New Mexico desert.

That amounts to Mach 1.24, which is faster than the speed of sound. No one has ever reached that speed wearing only a high-tech suit...'

MeyerLouie

Oct 14, 2012, 11:28 PM
Post #36850 of 54580 (30435 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Farflung] Weber Review [In reply to] Can't Post

In reply to:
RobertMBlevins comments without the use of data or thinking one (1) step downstream about his review with:

“1) Weber may have claimed on his deathbed that he was Dan Cooper, but there are no other witnesses to that alleged statement.”

And that’s exactly one witness more than RobertMBlevins had regarding Dan Cooper comics, Captain Scott talking to Cooper and Bernie breaking into a home and stealing a logbook.

RobertMBlevins ignores an oft repeated and genuine piece of evidence with:

“2) Weber cannot be linked to any verifiable parachute experience. And no one in a sane state of mind would attempt leaping out the back of a moving 727 without at least some prior experience.”

For the ‘Nth’ time, MARTIN MCNALLY JUMPED FROM A 727 WITHOUT ANY EXPERIENCE. He hijacked the most planes, had the most money and NO experience. Never had even touched a parachute before, but please, keep ignoring this evidence and history in your battle of wills.

RobertMBlevins obliquely infers:

“3) None of the stews or witnesses have even HINTED that Weber could be the hijacker from pictures.”

Gee is this some, oh gosh, you know, umm…, have I mentioned this before, a Stewardess said Kenny was the closest she had seen before, but Tina and Alice didn’t say squat, but I just left that out of my question, because I’m passive aggressive like that, and then form a leading statement, even though I deny any such activity statement? Yes.

He then continues like a runaway freight train with:

“4) The physical evidence, if any, is lost or otherwise unaccounted for.”

Like his fingerprints and DNA?

RobertMBlevins adds a non-sequitur to a non-sequitur with:

“5) The witness who said handwriting in a Cooper book was Weber's has retracted her story, or refuses to confirm.”

And if the handwriting in the Cooper book is Duane’s that would prove that he read a book on Cooper after the event, thus damning him to have done what? All it proves is there are many delusionals willing to reinforce the quality of this research with a random 50cc squirt of intellectual diarrhea.

RobertMBlevins continues to steer with the use of another non-sequitur:

“6) Weber cannot be positively placed in the NW United States at the time of the hijacking.”

If a person’s fingerprints or DNA matches the samples in FBI evidence, BUT can’t be placed in the NW United States they are exonerated? This only makes sense on this thread.

RobertMBlevins tweaks the nose of Captain Obvious with:

“7) None of Weber's ex-wives or other family members have offered definitive evidence leading to the possibility Weber was the hijacker.”

Neither has anyone else since ‘definitive evidence’ would lead to an investigation by the FBI, then the ‘definitive evidence’ would be used in a court of law to convict the hijacker.

Occam experiences forced ‘manlove’ with:

“8) Occam's Razor might suggest that with so many previous arrests and the extensive hunt for the hijacker, that Weber would have been discovered reletively quickly.”

Occam screams that an employee of the airline would be identified relatively quickly as well.

RobertMBlevins peers deep into a pool of irony by stating:

“9) Weber's occasional behaviors, (if true) such as tossing a bag off a bridge and taking his wife on a NW trip and dropping hints...might suggest he was living a fantasy and secretly wanted to be Cooper. Most of his life he was a loser. Maybe he wanted to be a winner, and used his wife to further those ends. If this is true, it only shows he was selfish and sentenced her to a life of endless hunting for a truth that was never there.”

Much the way Lyle said he never believed that Kenny was Cooper, but sparked some brain dead investigation which defied every statistic known to science, by ‘proving’ Kenny was coincidentally Cooper.

Captain Obvious hasn’t left the building with:

“10) The FBI did an obviously thorough investigation and may have discovered the same things.”

If Kenny isn’t Cooper, then perhaps, it’s someone else.
------------------------------------------------------------
Blevins, I think Jo has pretty much shot down all of your arguments against her theory and premises. When I look at your KC=DBC theory, I have to ask, "where's the beef?" What proof have you offered? Zip. Don't think you have any room to criticize anybody else's lack of proof. That's pretty arrogant, Grand Miestro Peepee. Go practice your guitar now.

First page Previous page 1 ... 1470 1471 1472 1473 1474 1475 1476 1477 1478 ... 2184 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Skydiving : Skydiving History & Trivia

Search for (options)