Forums: Archive: 2013-2015 USPA BOD Elections:
Gary Peek and Joe Jackson, RD for Central Region....

WatchYourStep  (D License)

Oct 14, 2012, 10:26 AM
Post #1 of 10 (1412 views)
Shortcut
Gary Peek and Joe Jackson, RD for Central Region.... Can't Post

Gary and Joe-

It looks like Jen has put her thoughts on the interwebz for viewing. Would either of you be willing to post your goals for the upcoming year if you were elected for the position of RD?

xoxo

PS: I always think having more than 1 candidate is great! Gives the people choices. Thanks to all 3 for running.

skydived19006  (D 19006)

Oct 15, 2012, 8:13 AM
Post #2 of 10 (1302 views)
Shortcut
Re: [WatchYourStep] Gary Peek and Joe Jackson, RD for Central Region.... [In reply to] Can't Post

http://www.wavlist.com/...fx/014/cricket-1.wav

http://www.idiotsavant.com/ftp/sounds/bueller.wav

That's likely unfair at this point, this thread has only been up for one day.

Edit to make clicky.

(This post was edited by skydived19006 on Oct 15, 2012, 8:14 AM)

airtwardo  (D License)

Oct 15, 2012, 10:39 AM
Post #3 of 10 (1269 views)
Shortcut
Re: [skydived19006] Gary Peek and Joe Jackson, RD for Central Region.... [In reply to] Can't Post

Edit to make clicky.

Yeah...A bit unfair at this point, especially considering the relationship you have with the other candidate in the region.

Instead of an edit makin' it clicky - if ya think it might be unfair...pull it? Wink

skydived19006  (D 19006)

Oct 15, 2012, 1:42 PM
Post #4 of 10 (1242 views)
Shortcut
Re: [airtwardo] Gary Peek and Joe Jackson, RD for Central Region.... [In reply to] Can't Post

In reply to:

Edit to make clicky.

Yeah...A bit unfair at this point, especially considering the relationship you have with the other candidate in the region.

Wink
Hey Jim,
My friendship with Jen Sharp has nothing to do with the lack of response to date from Gary or Joe.

I have nothing bad to say about Gary Peek at all. I think that he's served the region well. Gary has always been very responsive, and will often give me a call in response to something I post here. If Gary Peek is reelected, we'll be well served.

I did get a chance to talk to Joe. He was making the rounds of the region's DZs, and stopped in for a bit one afternoon. Through the course of our conversation, I asked him what his platform/agenda was. His response was "I'm for the skydiver." I pressed a bit for more, but "I"m for the skydiver." was all he had.

Jen did take the initiative to step up and post her platform/agenda knowing very well that there were two or three people who would respond with "hard hitting questions." I'd like to see the other two candidates have the same chance.

airtwardo  (D License)

Oct 15, 2012, 2:55 PM
Post #5 of 10 (1226 views)
Shortcut
Re: [skydived19006] Gary Peek and Joe Jackson, RD for Central Region.... [In reply to] Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

Edit to make clicky.

Wink

Hey Jim,
My friendship with Jen Sharp has nothing to do with the lack of response to date from Gary or Joe.

I have nothing bad to say about Gary Peek at all. I think that he's served the region well. Gary has always been very responsive, and will often give me a call in response to something I post here. If Gary Peek is reelected, we'll be well served.

I did get a chance to talk to Joe. He was making the rounds of the region's DZs, and stopped in for a bit one afternoon. Through the course of our conversation, I asked him what his platform/agenda was. His response was "I'm for the skydiver." I pressed a bit for more, but "I"m for the skydiver." was all he had.

Jen did take the initiative to step up and post her platform/agenda knowing very well that there were two or three people who would respond with "hard hitting questions." I'd like to see the other two candidates have the same chance.

I get that... 'Watchyourstep' (who is Jens DZ manager IIRC) asking for a statement is one thing, but inferring that a lack of immediate response with 'crickets' seems a bit intentionally sarcastic in a negative way. . .which you even kinda admit.

It's not my conference so I don't have a dog in the fight, I just think ALL the candidates should be left to address the issues if & how they see fit, & not put in a bad light as if they were intentionally ignoring something.

I doubt either of them has even seen this thread to date...who knows, maybe Peek has been too busy handling actual CCD duties to respond.

OTOH, the 'I'm for the skydiver' line IS pretty weak, your commenting to that effect from your 1st hand conversation is helpful...it's factual from my point of view because I trust what you say.

IMO what's not helpful is the type of political campaign strategy that condones the 'so & so didn't say this, so he means that' type of thing.

No you didn't do that directly, but kinda headed to that slippery slope...I say we vote on candidates for what they say not what they don't... Wink

Personally...I dunno if 'I' would be in a big hurry to answer a thread started by an opposing candidate's DZ manager, bumped with semi-sarcastic clickies from one of her friends & associates.

But hey that's just me...again, not my region so far be for ME to question stuff like 'USPA central conference' FB pages started by a candidate and not by a current seat holder. What do I know?! Blush

(This post was edited by airtwardo on Oct 15, 2012, 4:49 PM)

Oct 16, 2012, 8:01 AM
Post #6 of 10 (1170 views)
Shortcut
Re: [airtwardo] Gary Peek and Joe Jackson, RD for Central Region.... [In reply to] Can't Post

Twardo-

Have you ever met Martin? He'd put the same thing up for Jen if she was asked a question on here and didn't respond. It's just the type of guy he is with super dry humor. I love it Martin, don't change.

I am the GM at SDK, but that doesn't change what my original question was. I just want to know what Gary and Joe plan to do if elected, Wes had some great questions that he asked Jen, and I'd love to hear where they stand on things. I like Jen, but I'll vote however I see fit, if Gary or Joe have a better platform than that's who gets my vote and nobody would ever be the wiser.

I don't know Joe from Adam so I'd really enjoy hearing his thoughts. He may not even post on dz.com, but we all know Gary does, and I don't mind that it takes him some time to respond, not everyone lives on here.

Quote:
I just think ALL the candidates should be left to address the issues if & how they see fit, & not put in a bad light as if they were intentionally ignoring something.

I agree and disagree with you. Again I don't know if Joe posts on here, so if he doesn't respond here I don't put him in a bad light. I think he risks not gaining potential voters, but that's his choice.

However I think where we may differ is..."All the candidates should be left to address the issues if and how they see fit." That I disagree with. WE are the constituency, they ARE running for a position. IF they want to secure my vote they need to address the issues, if not I can't make an educated decision. People talk all the time about voter apathy, but without the candidates putting information out there, how can you vote?

I think that it's the responsibility of a candidate to take every avenue available to them to reach their group of people. I think that is what Jen was trying to do on Facebook, the group is called "USPA Central Region". It's open to everyone and is to encourage communication between people in this region. It has almost 100 members which isn't a lot, but it's a start. Heck Rook posted in there asking questions and Rich posted in there introducing himself to people who may not know him.

Adaptation is critical. Jen never is really on dz.com, but logged in to post her platform, trying to communicate with people she may not reach on facebook. Rich took advantage and used facebook to reach a group who may not be on here. THAT'S AWESOME!

Discussion is important....

xoxo

airtwardo  (D License)

Oct 16, 2012, 9:40 AM
Post #7 of 10 (1148 views)
Shortcut
Re: [WatchYourStep] Gary Peek and Joe Jackson, RD for Central Region.... [In reply to] Can't Post

Jeremy~

I've never met Martin in person, from what I know of him both on here and through friends I have that do know him...I have nothing but respect for him.

If my comment was taken offensively by him I apologize, it wasn't meant that way.

To address your comments;

I truly feel that - All the candidates should be left to address the issues if and how they see fit.

Social media is but one avenue. It's a convenient one certainly but not everyone is adept at using them equally, doesn't mean they are less of a candidate.

I don't think not being on Dizzydot or FB makes their platform any less important.

Are they missing an easy opportunity...maybe.

Then again, as we've all seen on threads here sometimes comments are taken way out of context. Inferences made that are incorrect. Time, energy & bandwidth wasted on inconsequential banter that only confuses simple issues.

Sometimes that's done with intent making any cohesive conversation frustrating and counterproductive. I'm not saying that's what's happening here, but in the same light it's why I don't think less of someone forgoing such engagements.

So like I said in a post above, asking for a statement is one thing, trying to goad one is another, and that's what I was addressing.

I'm not in the central conference so though I watch all BOD seats with interest I have no stake either way...it just struck me as odd that after both you & Martin lobbed questions to Jen in the other thread you'd begin another like this one.

From the cheap-seats it kinda looked like a set-up, like a somewhat planned strategic 'political' move...I guess if someone not 'connected' to the other candidate had started this thread I wouldn't be wondering.

Maybe I'm just a cynical, cranky ole fart.

If I'm off the mark and reading too much into it then again my sincerest apologies.

Oct 16, 2012, 9:44 AM
Post #8 of 10 (1146 views)
Shortcut

In reply to:
If I'm off the mark and reading too much into it then again my sincerest apologies.

You are off the mark,everyone on here is a little cynical but no need to apologize....it is just the internet.

xoxo

airtwardo  (D License)

Oct 16, 2012, 9:48 AM
Post #9 of 10 (1144 views)
Shortcut

In reply to:
In reply to:

You are off the mark,everyone on here is a little cynical but no need to apologize....it is just the internet.

xoxo

Good enough. Cool

It's a bitch to get old...Wink

Krip  (Student)

Oct 16, 2012, 4:26 PM
Post #10 of 10 (1102 views)
Shortcut

In reply to:
In reply to:
In reply to:

xoxo

Good enough. Cool

It's a bitch to get old...Wink

Hi

OLD is contagiousWink Most folks can't avoid it.

Not getting OLD is what it isPirate

Excuse me while I take my napSmile

R.

Forums : Archive : 2013-2015 USPA BOD Elections

Search for (options)