Forums: Skydiving: Gear and Rigging:
First helmet

Mentosfresh  (B 38608)

Oct 12, 2012, 8:26 PM
Post #1 of 4 (1120 views)
Shortcut
First helmet Can't Post

I'm brand new to the sport, just finished AFF. I'm looking for a first helmet. I've been eyeing the RAWA RW full face. What do you guys think of this as a first helmet?

councilman24  (D 8631)

Oct 13, 2012, 7:06 AM
Post #2 of 4 (1053 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Mentosfresh] First helmet [In reply to] Can't Post

Until your an experienced skydiver, and even then, I recommend a Protec. It's not cool but it does allow your full range of vision, allows you to hear unimpeded, provides as much or more protection than any other 'skydiving' helmet, and is cheap.

It's important to be able to see well, especially when your learning and can't necessarily anticipate what's going to happen. It's always important when jumping with less experienced jumpers that may be unpredictable. Being able to look above you easily, see oncoming freefall traffic AND canopy traffic are important. Almost all full face helmets limit your field of vision and sometimes you head motion.

It's important to be able to hear commands in the airplane, from the pilot and other jumpers, to hear warnings under canopy, to hear the wind speed as you learn to fly your canopy,

Any audible device can be mounted to a Protec with the help of someone experienced in doing it.

Most of the 'skydiving' helmets offer little protection. In some cases they make things worse. If carbon fiber helmets break the leave razor sharp edges that can slice open your head.

Also depending on care full face helmets can fog. Are your ready to handle that?

And they're only about $40.Wink But you won't be cool.Crazy

Advantages of full face? Warmth, decreased noise, somewhat easier mounting of audibles.

I've been looking for a full face that I like for 10 years and still haven't found one.

dthames  (B 37674)

Oct 13, 2012, 7:27 AM
Post #3 of 4 (1051 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Mentosfresh] First helmet [In reply to] Can't Post

The Benny is also a low cost option with good range of vision.

http://www.skysystemsusa.com/portfolio/benny/

scottd818  (C 41314)

Oct 13, 2012, 8:33 AM
Post #4 of 4 (1034 views)
Shortcut
Re: [dthames] First helmet [In reply to] Can't Post

buy a protech or benny. spend your money on jumps for now then when u have atleast 50 jumps consider a full face. and when you do get there look into the cookie g3

Forums : Skydiving : Gear and Rigging

Search for (options)