Forums: Skydiving: Gear and Rigging:
Higher wingload = greater chance of line twists?

-SK-  (A License)

Oct 12, 2012, 3:59 PM
Post #1 of 12 (1708 views)
Shortcut
Higher wingload = greater chance of line twists? Can't Post

I thought I heard this somewhere but am not sure; will I have a greater chance of line twists during an opening with less-than-ideal body position, on a smaller canopy? Assuming make/model is the same.

FrancoR

Oct 12, 2012, 4:52 PM
Post #2 of 12 (1649 views)
Shortcut
Re: [-SK-] Higher wingload = greater chance of line twists? [In reply to] Can't Post

yes.
Less mass means there is less energy required to get something to twist.
Smaller canopy means higher wingloading, higher wingloading means more speed. If one side of your canopy opens a little faster on opening than the other it will start moving forward faster leaving the other one behind --> Twist.
I am sure there are more technical reasons and i am sure you know there are ohter downsides associated with a higher wingloading.

Joellercoaster  (D 105792)

Oct 13, 2012, 10:35 AM
Post #3 of 12 (1517 views)
Shortcut
Re: [FrancoR] Higher wingload = greater chance of line twists? [In reply to] Can't Post

...and then, now that you have twists, whatever it was going to do, it's now doing harder.

If that is diving with you on your back, whirling in circles, then it's now doing that a lot quicker too!

Rover  (D 241)

Oct 13, 2012, 12:42 PM
Post #4 of 12 (1482 views)
Shortcut
Re: [-SK-] Higher wingload = greater chance of line twists? [In reply to] Can't Post

High performance canopy will give you a high performance malfunction.

demon4o7  (B License)

Oct 13, 2012, 5:04 PM
Post #5 of 12 (1433 views)
Shortcut
Re: [FrancoR] Higher wingload = greater chance of line twists? [In reply to] Can't Post

Is this true even if the canopy isn't elliptical? Ie hornet 190 openings compared to a hornet 150

Shredex

Oct 13, 2012, 6:17 PM
Post #6 of 12 (1412 views)
Shortcut

Higher wingload = greater chance of death

-SK-  (A License)

Oct 13, 2012, 7:26 PM
Post #7 of 12 (1385 views)
Shortcut

I suspected as much... my landings have always been spot on but my openings haven't been the best; have had a lot of line twists and off-headings. As much as I would like to downsize, I have come to the realization I need to sort out my opening issues first.

DrewEckhardt  (D 28461)

Oct 13, 2012, 7:29 PM
Post #8 of 12 (1383 views)
Shortcut
Re: [demon4o7] Higher wingload = greater chance of line twists? [In reply to] Can't Post

In reply to:
Is this true even if the canopy isn't elliptical? Ie hornet 190 openings compared to a hornet 150

1. Yes. Smaller canopies are more sensitive to control input (intended or otherwise) and more likely to end up turning if you have line twists.

2. All modern canopies are elliptical to varying degrees.

Premier DSE  (D 29060)

Oct 14, 2012, 11:55 AM
Post #9 of 12 (1302 views)
Shortcut

In reply to:
I suspected as much... my landings have always been spot on but my openings haven't been the best; have had a lot of line twists and off-headings. As much as I would like to downsize, I have come to the realization I need to sort out my opening issues first.

This goes into the top-ten of sensible things ever said on this website.

Willi91  (E 369)

Oct 17, 2012, 6:31 AM
Post #10 of 12 (1134 views)
Shortcut
Re: [DSE] Higher wingload = greater chance of line twists? [In reply to] Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

This goes into the top-ten of sensible things ever said on this website.

Agreed!
I applaud this attitude towards downsiszing Smile

Premier billvon  (D 16479)
Oct 18, 2012, 11:13 AM
Post #11 of 12 (1035 views)
Shortcut

Literally? No, all canopies line twist about the same in my experience.

However, line twists on a highly loaded canopy are a much bigger deal since they are sometimes not recoverable.

Premier ianmdrennan  (D 25821)
Oct 22, 2012, 2:16 PM
Post #12 of 12 (933 views)
Shortcut
Re: [billvon] Higher wingload = greater chance of line twists? [In reply to] Can't Post

I agree with Bill.

Even then, I've had linetwists under my 67 a few times now loaded at 3.3 and had zero issues. Of course IF it spins it's going to go wild but I find a lot of pilots freak out when they see linetwists and just start kicking making the problem way worse. A lot of that has to do with the fear introduced about line twists in recent years.

In my experience just chilling out and staying symmetrical during the ENTIRE opening sequence is key, regardless of linetwists. Then get gently start to get out of them.

(This post was edited by ianmdrennan on Oct 22, 2012, 2:16 PM)

Forums : Skydiving : Gear and Rigging

Search for (options)