When patches certified status and proclaimed skill

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

patworks  (D 1813)

Oct 11, 2012, 7:12 PM
Post #1 of 38 (5566 views)
Shortcut
When patches certified status and proclaimed skill Can't Post

When patches certified status and proclaimed skill

The attached picture will ignite memories.....
Attachments: Works'Patches1 (S).jpg (185 KB)

jonstark  (D 8298)

Oct 11, 2012, 7:31 PM
Post #2 of 38 (5496 views)
Shortcut
Re: [patworks] When patches certified status and proclaimed skill [In reply to] Can't Post

Imagine my confusion when asked to jump with a girl wearing a "World Team" jumpsuit replete with the requisite patches. She told me it would be her "First hooked up 6-way exit." Hmmm... I think to myself. Now how'd she get so good and never do a six way exit? Tunnel rat? Turns out she had bought the suit and filled it out very nicely but sure didn't have the skills or experience the patches suggested she might possess. Rubbed me wrong in a way I guess but it probably shouldn't have. Lighten up Francis.

jon

oldwomanc6

Oct 11, 2012, 8:13 PM
Post #3 of 38 (5480 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jonstark] When patches certified status and proclaimed skill [In reply to] Can't Post

I've got only seven of the patches that Pat showed (plus a few not on camera, but I'm sure he has), and holy crap, I would never consider wearing a patch that I did NOT earn.

bozo  (D 10154)

Oct 12, 2012, 6:22 PM
Post #4 of 38 (5387 views)
Shortcut
Re: [patworks] When patches certified status and proclaimed skill [In reply to] Can't Post

I see an Outlaw patch....are you an outlaw ?

Bozo Outlaw #81

jimmytavino  (A 3914)

Oct 12, 2012, 6:38 PM
Post #5 of 38 (5381 views)
Shortcut

Nice!!! i remember the PCA patch and i like how you teamed it up with the uspa patch which matched it,,,(triangles)..
the nscr is a favorite too.. i have always loved the colors and the design... I was lucky enough to earn my SCR in 1976 and so received a red white and blue "bicentennial" SCR patch..SmileCool. great memories. Thanks for sharing..
jmy

andrewhilton  (D 32371)

Oct 12, 2012, 8:49 PM
Post #6 of 38 (5363 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jimmytavino] When patches certified status and proclaimed skill [In reply to] Can't Post

Nice!

We've been collecting pictures of skydiving patches for the BPA Archive which will be a long time coming, so here's some more to add to Pat's -

http://www.flickr.com/...s/72157622910628577/

D22369  (D 22369)

Oct 12, 2012, 9:34 PM
Post #7 of 38 (5352 views)
Shortcut

Hey Pat what is the skydiver under the rainbow canopy on the far left of the pic for? our old dzo had that one and I never even thought to ask... Unsure

Roy

BIGUN  (D 23385)

Oct 13, 2012, 7:00 AM
Post #8 of 38 (5327 views)
Shortcut

Pat

Thank you for sharing.

Additional Trivia... When I built Bill Newell's first website circa 2001; you were in one of only two teams at the time to have accomplished the USA award. To date, only four teams have qualified for the same.

mjosparky  (D 5476)

Oct 13, 2012, 2:11 PM
Post #9 of 38 (5295 views)
Shortcut
Re: [oldwomanc6] When patches certified status and proclaimed skill [In reply to] Can't Post

In reply to:
I've got only seven of the patches that Pat showed (plus a few not on camera, but I'm sure he has), and holy crap, I would never consider wearing a patch that I did NOT earn.

Have you got one of these?

Sparky

http://i397.photobucket.com/...diving/Patches42.jpg

patworks  (D 1813)

Oct 13, 2012, 2:55 PM
Post #10 of 38 (5288 views)
Shortcut
Re: [BIGUN] When patches certified status and proclaimed skill [In reply to] Can't Post

Bigun Anvil Bro 2
Yes the USA STARCREST Award is way tough unless you know both freefly and 4-way belly RW. Damn few skydivers can pull it off on a 60' delay.

It is called the "Universal Skydiver Award" Founded in '82, it didn't get accomplished 'til 20 + years later.

Pat USA2

Thank you for your good work on the Starcrest site!!!

BIGUN  (D 23385)

Oct 13, 2012, 4:30 PM
Post #11 of 38 (5268 views)
Shortcut

Thank you.

It was an honor and a privilege.

And kudos goes to Roger Ramjet for picking up the project and taking it to the next level.

oldwomanc6

Oct 13, 2012, 8:17 PM
Post #12 of 38 (5243 views)
Shortcut
Re: [mjosparky] When patches certified status and proclaimed skill [In reply to] Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

Sparky

Nope Frown I'd already gone to Japan and Hawaii by that time. I have seen it before, but never understood the horse.

Can you clue me in? Smile

mjosparky  (D 5476)

Oct 14, 2012, 3:34 PM
Post #13 of 38 (5191 views)
Shortcut
Re: [oldwomanc6] When patches certified status and proclaimed skill [In reply to] Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
In reply to:

Sparky

Nope Frown I'd already gone to Japan and Hawaii by that time. I have seen it before, but never understood the horse.

Can you clue me in? Smile

Its the brand EFS on a horses ass. My ex-wife made them up back when we were still married.

Sparky

stratostar  (Student)

Oct 14, 2012, 5:03 PM
Post #14 of 38 (5176 views)
Shortcut

Speaking of patches, some asshole ripped off my AFF instructor patch and AFF instructor bar that goes over the top, the old as ones... anyone got an extra they would like to part with for $$$?

CazmoDee  (A 51915)

Oct 14, 2012, 5:52 PM
Post #15 of 38 (5165 views)
Shortcut
Re: [stratostar] When patches certified status and proclaimed skill [In reply to] Can't Post

Like these....Wink
Attachments: photo.JPG (293 KB)

stratostar  (Student)

Oct 14, 2012, 6:15 PM
Post #16 of 38 (5155 views)
Shortcut
Re: [CazmoDee] When patches certified status and proclaimed skill [In reply to] Can't Post

No, got that I patch and the bar above for I, my AFF like this, but the old one in blue with the instructor bar for on top also in blue.

http://www.dropzone.com/...tail_page.cgi?ID=710

airtwardo  (D License)

Oct 14, 2012, 6:52 PM
Post #17 of 38 (5144 views)
Shortcut
Re: [bozo] When patches certified status and proclaimed skill [In reply to] Can't Post

In reply to:
I see an Outlaw patch....are you an outlaw ?

Bozo Outlaw #81

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VqomZQMZQCQ Sly

oldwomanc6

Oct 14, 2012, 9:04 PM
Post #18 of 38 (5132 views)
Shortcut

Just curious, Pat, but do you recall what your WSCR# is?

patworks  (D 1813)

Oct 14, 2012, 10:55 PM
Post #19 of 38 (5119 views)
Shortcut

Yep, I'm both Outlaw and WSCR... Through a Glass Darkly my WSCR jump is crystal clear. Janner, Sally, Wendy, Betty won the WSCR 4-way at Pope Valley in 1977. Afterwards the ladies made an 8-way and allowed me to follow them out. ...a beautiful crystal-clear day in a spotless sky etched the sun's bright images on my brain. As my body descended and entered the star, that brilliance reflected in the faces of happy ladies. Pretty people; lovely jump.

mjosparky  (D 5476)

Oct 15, 2012, 10:56 PM
Post #20 of 38 (5050 views)
Shortcut

In reply to:
Yep, I'm both Outlaw and WSCR... Through a Glass Darkly my WSCR jump is crystal clear. Janner, Sally, Wendy, Betty won the WSCR 4-way at Pope Valley in 1977. Afterwards the ladies made an 8-way and allowed me to follow them out. ...a beautiful crystal-clear day in a spotless sky etched the sun's bright images on my brain. As my body descended and entered the star, that brilliance reflected in the faces of happy ladies. Pretty people; lovely jump.

You are still the master of works.Cool

Sparky

oldwomanc6

Oct 16, 2012, 6:17 AM
Post #21 of 38 (5030 views)
Shortcut

What a great memory Smile

airtwardo  (D License)

Oct 16, 2012, 10:29 AM
Post #22 of 38 (4988 views)
Shortcut

In reply to:

Cool ~ Thanks for taking us along! ~ Cool

kkeenan  (D 22164)

Oct 18, 2012, 6:43 AM
Post #23 of 38 (4883 views)
Shortcut

Glad to see Doc's Galveston Skydivers patch prominently displayed.

Amazon  (D License)

Oct 18, 2012, 12:16 PM
Post #24 of 38 (4866 views)
Shortcut
Re: [airtwardo] When patches certified status and proclaimed skill [In reply to] Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

Cool ~ Thanks for taking us along! ~ Cool

I alwas thought of patches on a jumpsuit.. as a display of someones inability to land a parachute properly...

Oh you meant EMBROIDERED patches....Angelic

CarpeDiem3  (D License)

Oct 18, 2012, 3:06 PM
Post #25 of 38 (4844 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Amazon] When patches certified status and proclaimed skill [In reply to] Can't Post

In reply to:
I alwas thought of patches on a jumpsuit.. as a display of someones inability to land a parachute properly...

Oh you meant EMBROIDERED patches....Angelic

Well, even the embroidered patches were often used to cover up holes in the jumpsuits where someone had been dragged too much.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Skydiving : Skydiving History & Trivia

Search for (options)