Forums: Skydiving: Skydiving History & Trivia:
First parachute patent anniversary today 11october

piisfish

Oct 11, 2012, 7:17 AM
Post #1 of 6 (691 views)
Shortcut
First parachute patent anniversary today 11october Can't Post

today is the anniversary of the first patent on parachutes. And no, it was NOT Twardo Laugh

Jeanne Labrosse, Jacques-Andr Garnerin's wife-to-be, patented in his name his parachute, 210 years ago Shocked
http://en.wikipedia.org/...%A9-Jacques_Garnerin

DanDanInc  (Student)

Oct 11, 2012, 8:07 AM
Post #2 of 6 (670 views)
Shortcut
Re: [piisfish] First parachute patent anniversary today 11october [In reply to] Can't Post

That's wicked cool.

piisfish

Oct 11, 2012, 8:10 AM
Post #3 of 6 (666 views)
Shortcut
Re: [DanDanInc] First parachute patent anniversary today 11october [In reply to] Can't Post

and this drawing is part of the patent Smile

Niki1  (D 3103)

Oct 11, 2012, 8:46 AM
Post #4 of 6 (659 views)
Shortcut
Re: [piisfish] First parachute patent anniversary today 11october [In reply to] Can't Post

In reply to:
and this drawing is part of the patent Smile

A 23 ft. canvas canopy supported a man and a wicker basket large enough to contain the man. I don't think this would pass the TSO requirement of less than 25 ft. per second. Smile I'm thinking that he didn't do any tests with a weight in the basket because every ascent was a spectacle to be watched by a crowd. But he knew it would work because he had given it a lot of thought. He was right.

SkydiveJack  (D 6486)

Oct 12, 2012, 1:54 PM
Post #5 of 6 (591 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Niki1] First parachute patent anniversary today 11october [In reply to] Can't Post

It's interesting that Figure 1 shows 16 pannels in the top down veiw and that Figure 3 sems to show 26 individual pannels in the side/open view.

I guess these aren't precise engineering drawings!
;-)

oldwomanc6

Oct 12, 2012, 8:00 PM
Post #6 of 6 (568 views)
Shortcut
Re: [SkydiveJack] First parachute patent anniversary today 11october [In reply to] Can't Post

In reply to:
It's interesting that Figure 1 shows 16 pannels in the top down veiw and that Figure 3 sems to show 26 individual pannels in the side/open view.

I guess these aren't precise engineering drawings!
;-)

Back then, those might have been as precise as it got! Tongue

Forums : Skydiving : Skydiving History & Trivia

Search for (options)