Fatality - Dahlem Germany - 10 October 2012

urlauber

Oct 10, 2012, 10:27 AM
Post #1 of 17 (6145 views)
Shortcut
Fatality - Dahlem Germany - 10 October 2012 Can't Post

http://www.wz-newsline.de/...e-toedlich-1.1122634

Translated by Google:

Dahlem. Wednesday around 14.13 clock has occurred on the airfield Dahlemer Binz an accident with fatal consequences. A man had jumped in a group of 6-7 parachuting from an airplane. His parachute did not open or partially located.

The man struck at high speed on a meadow near the kart track. Rescue workers tried to resuscitate the man, which failed, however. The person died before the place her severe injuries. The identity of the person has not yet been determined. The operation of the aerodrome was obtained during the accident upright. The cause of the accident is the subject of further investigations.

(This post was edited by PhreeZone on Jan 22, 2014, 11:10 AM)

skydiverton2  (D License)

Oct 10, 2012, 10:51 AM
Post #2 of 17 (6063 views)
Shortcut
Re: [urlauber] Fatality - Dahlem Germany [In reply to] Can't Post

http://www.ksta.de/...188880,20563538.html

This appears to be more accurate. Use google translate to translate.

pchapman  (D 1014)

Oct 10, 2012, 11:44 AM
Post #3 of 17 (5972 views)
Shortcut
Re: [skydiverton2] Fatality - Dahlem Germany [In reply to] Can't Post

Brief paraphrase of key points from the article:

43 yrs old, thousands of jumps, 20 years in the sport

Jumped from a Porter at 4000m. Went into some sort of spin on opening; canopy not entirely or not properly open. Not known why he didn't jettison the main and use his reserve.

juan  (C 2480)

Oct 11, 2012, 1:18 PM
Post #4 of 17 (5204 views)
Shortcut
Re: [pchapman] Fatality - Dahlem Germany [In reply to] Can't Post

Sad news, I knew him from Cuba, fly free brother...

skebenga  (D 519)

Oct 14, 2012, 1:41 PM
Post #5 of 17 (4542 views)
Shortcut
Re: [pchapman] Fatality - Dahlem Germany [In reply to] Can't Post

Any more info on this incident? Gear, etc. When someone of that experience is unable to deal with an issue, it does raise a number of questions. There have been a few similar type fatal incidents over the years, often with vague conclusions.

speedy

Oct 15, 2012, 1:38 AM
Post #6 of 17 (4275 views)
Shortcut
Re: [skebenga] Fatality - Dahlem Germany [In reply to] Can't Post

This is only 3rd hand information.

The jumper was doing video and had a GoPro mounted on his helmet. Somehow during deployment it appears the lines from his main became entangled with the camera. After this no attempt was made to rectify the problem ( possible broken neck?).

skebenga  (D 519)

Oct 15, 2012, 1:53 AM
Post #7 of 17 (4262 views)
Shortcut
Re: [speedy] Fatality - Dahlem Germany [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks for the info.

FB1609  (C 1409)

Oct 15, 2012, 10:08 AM
Post #8 of 17 (3972 views)
Shortcut
Re: [skebenga] Fatality - Dahlem Germany [In reply to] Can't Post

Those cameras have to be mounted safely. Don't use the standard helmet mount on it's own, you have to customize it so no lines can catch anywhere.

mstlaurent  (C 3321)

Oct 15, 2012, 12:14 PM
Post #9 of 17 (3862 views)
Shortcut

This potential problem was ironically described in another thread three days before the accident:

Gopro-make it safer :
http://www.dropzone.com/...rum.cgi?post=4384415

Unsure

likearock  (D 24640)

Oct 22, 2012, 5:22 AM
Post #10 of 17 (3169 views)
Shortcut

In reply to:
This is only 3rd hand information.

The jumper was doing video and had a GoPro mounted on his helmet. Somehow during deployment it appears the lines from his main became entangled with the camera. After this no attempt was made to rectify the problem ( possible broken neck?).

Could someone from this DZ confirm or reject that this is a case of a GoPro entanglement? With so many skydivers wearing GoPros, that issue would be of significant interest. And if it is the case of an entanglement, then:

- What was the type of helmet worn? Did it have a quick-release?
- How was the camera mounted (top, front, etc.)?
- What model GoPro?
- What was the main parachute and what kinds of lines?

Please don't ask us to wait for the "official report" on this one.

FB1609  (C 1409)

Oct 22, 2012, 2:22 PM
Post #11 of 17 (2910 views)
Shortcut
Re: [likearock] Fatality - Dahlem Germany [In reply to] Can't Post

Although that information may be relevant, not really. If you use a Gopro, make sure it's mounted safe enough that you feel 100% confident in your own mind. That's really all that matters. A cutaway system is not !00% reliable, best is to make it so nothing can catch period, as we used to with the old SLR cameras.

mjosparky  (D 5476)

Oct 22, 2012, 11:16 PM
Post #12 of 17 (2735 views)
Shortcut
Re: [FB1609] Fatality - Dahlem Germany [In reply to] Can't Post

In reply to:
If you use a Gopro, make sure it's mounted safe enough that you feel 100% confident in your own mind. That's really all that matters.

I've lost count of how many jumpers were confident in “their own mind”, right up to impact. Any time you add another layer of complexity to your gear increases you chances for problems.

Sparky

speedy

Oct 22, 2012, 11:47 PM
Post #13 of 17 (2718 views)
Shortcut
Re: [mjosparky] Fatality - Dahlem Germany [In reply to] Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
If you use a Gopro, make sure it's mounted safe enough that you feel 100% confident in your own mind. That's really all that matters.

I've lost count of how many jumpers were confident in “their own mind”, right up to impact. Any time you add another layer of complexity to your gear increases you chances for problems.

Sparky

+10

If you are jumping camera and are 100% sure it can't get entangled, my tip would be to stop jumping camera.

FB1609  (C 1409)

Oct 23, 2012, 6:04 AM
Post #14 of 17 (2588 views)
Shortcut

So you guys are saying make sure you're not 100% confident in your camera setup then?????

speedy

Oct 23, 2012, 6:51 AM
Post #15 of 17 (2541 views)
Shortcut

I am saying I am not 100% sure that something won't go wrong with my camera setup. This means that something may go wrong and I should be ready to deal with the problem.
The camera adds to the complexity of the skydive and is an additional source of where things can go wrong. There are things you can do to help you cope with such eventualities. For example, I very rarely take my camera with me on fun/RW jumps. When I am doing outside video for formation jumps or tandems I am generally pulling much higher which gives me more time to deal with problems arising from the camera setup.

Are you 100% confident with your main? If you are, why have a reserve?

michalm21  (Student)

Oct 23, 2012, 8:23 AM
Post #16 of 17 (2484 views)
Shortcut

In reply to:
So you guys are saying make sure you're not 100% confident in your camera setup then?????

No, I think they are saying that even though you think the setup is 100% safe, it does not mean it is actually true and that entanglement risks may still exist.

tikl68  (C 35249)

Jan 29, 2013, 10:53 PM
Post #17 of 17 (1961 views)
Shortcut
Re: [michalm21] Fatality - Dahlem Germany [In reply to] Can't Post

I agree. That being said something should be said for stability during deployment,especially if i am wearing my camera whether it is outside video,inside video or on a CRW jump.I try to relax @ deployment time. i have seen some interesting deployment habits from both students and experienced jumpers in my 25 years and 1300 jumps as a coach and LO.I still give a legit wave off,ck airspace deploy (yes i put my left hand in front of me)and go back to basic old BOX.And yes i sort of expect s**t to go bad on every jump.Same applies on my B.A.S.E jumps.

BSBD

Forums : Skydiving : Incidents

Search for (options)