Forums: Skydiving: Gear and Rigging:
GoPro Hero2 Remote LED

Chris-Ottawa  (A License)

Oct 5, 2012, 3:33 PM
Post #1 of 9 (2151 views)
Shortcut
GoPro Hero2 Remote LED Can't Post

Hey everyone,

Just thought I'd share something I've been using all summer since I re-worked it a little after the first season.

So, first of all, yes, I'm one of those guys who's using 2 GoPro's for video/stills. It's actually saved my ass once already. I had a nasty hard opening, tore the tape on my slider, and I'm certain if I had a full DSLR and CX100 type setup, I would have walked away in much more pain, or maybe worse. I'm not going to respond to any comments about the fact that I use 2 GoPro's regardless. (I have a picture to prove it as the GoPro took a still as the slammer happened and the image is all distorted, plus it's on video http://www.youtube.com/...=channel&list=UL).

Anyways, I made this in the spring and just reworked it yesterday for next season. Essentially, it's the 3D housing, the cameras are in one button mode, and one automatically films upside down. We've all seen that before. From there, I attached the accessory port to a resistor and an LED and it's been working great with it popped out the bottom. This is simply to allow me to see if the camera is on or off while wearing my helmet in any daylight condition.

Let me know what you think. If you're slightly inclined to do it yourself, I can post a diagram I made and provide some basic instructions.

Enjoy, but please excuse my boring assed narration.

GoPro Hero2 Remote LED inside a 3D case
http://www.youtube.com/...kNo&feature=plcp

(This post was edited by Chris-Ottawa on Oct 5, 2012, 3:37 PM)

TEB6363  (D 16363)

Oct 5, 2012, 5:43 PM
Post #2 of 9 (2102 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Chris-Ottawa] GoPro Hero2 Remote LED [In reply to] Can't Post

I have a similar setup. Keeps me from having to ask if the camers is on (1-button mode) and getting all those "GoPro Looks" on the videoTongue
Attachments: DSCN3593sm.jpg (57.8 KB)
  DSCN3598sm.jpg (67.8 KB)

strop45  (D 957)

Oct 5, 2012, 6:30 PM
Post #3 of 9 (2083 views)
Shortcut
Re: [TEB6363] GoPro Hero2 Remote LED [In reply to] Can't Post

Great work, another option is to use the wireless remote which shows GoPro screen on your wrist. I've used it sucessfully.

Pacific

Oct 5, 2012, 6:50 PM
Post #4 of 9 (2073 views)
Shortcut

Finally! Now people can stop asking me, "Am I blinking?"

dima39  (D 177246)

Oct 5, 2012, 7:50 PM
Post #5 of 9 (2055 views)
Shortcut

In reply to:
Let me know what you think. If you're slightly inclined to do it yourself, I can post a diagram I made and provide some basic instructions.

Yes, i'm interesting in this DIY.
What parts are you used for it?

jzzsxm  (B License)

Oct 6, 2012, 2:26 PM
Post #6 of 9 (1934 views)
Shortcut

"Gee, I wonder if this has ever been done with the Phantom X?"

HEY! SWEET!

TEB6363  (D 16363)

Oct 6, 2012, 6:08 PM
Post #7 of 9 (1900 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jzzsxm] GoPro Hero2 Remote LED [In reply to] Can't Post

I have to make a couple more and see it it works OK on the stock "Telly Tubby" helmet moutnTongue

Squeak  (E 1313)

Oct 6, 2012, 10:27 PM
Post #8 of 9 (1877 views)
Shortcut

In reply to:
I have a similar setup. Keeps me from having to ask if the camers is on (1-button mode) and getting all those "GoPro Looks" on the videoTongue
want to elaborate on how you set it up please?

TEB6363  (D 16363)

Oct 7, 2012, 11:10 PM
Post #9 of 9 (1780 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Squeak] GoPro Hero2 Remote LED [In reply to] Can't Post

It's wired for the LED to come on when the camera is on. Now, for that to be a "positive" indication; you have to set the camera up in one-button mode. So, when you turn on the camera, it is shooting video.

If you have the standard buttons set, the LED will tell you the camera is on (because it is), but you still may not be recording, or you could still be in photo mode.

So, the one-button mode is the way this LED confirms you are filming.

This is a Go-pro 30-pin male plug (kit), the LED is wired with a resistor, the power is picked up off pin #24 and the ground is off pin #9.

Forums : Skydiving : Gear and Rigging

Search for (options)