Forums: Skydiving: Gear and Rigging:
Reserve stains from grommets and dye bleeding?

pchapman  (D 1014)

Sep 27, 2012, 4:45 PM
Post #1 of 3 (581 views)
Shortcut
Reserve stains from grommets and dye bleeding? Can't Post

Sometimes one sees a reserve that has some color staining, from dyes bleeding, or also discoloration from brass grommets against the reserve fabric.

What opinions are there on that?
I don't know of any specific problems with it, but the topic came up among a couple other rigger friends of mine. (Sure, any bad stain on a reserve is worth a tensile test.)

Is there any reason to expect any fabric issues from staining in contact with brass grommets? I'm not quite sure of the chemical process involved. Sometimes there's the greenish colour of a particular copper oxide, but I've also seen reddish stains.

Discoloration does crop up from time to time. I wonder if it happens to rigs in a very humid environment, not necessarily from getting the rig wet without a repack right away.

JohnSherman  (D 2105)

Sep 27, 2012, 9:39 PM
Post #2 of 3 (522 views)
Shortcut
Re: [pchapman] Reserve stains from grommets and dye bleeding? [In reply to] Can't Post

I would also reccommend a test for acid.

councilman24  (D 8631)

Sep 29, 2012, 9:36 AM
Post #3 of 3 (417 views)
Shortcut
Re: [pchapman] Reserve stains from grommets and dye bleeding? [In reply to] Can't Post

I work on many canopies with red bleed. Never were wet. Some Ravens and some rounds ALL seem to have bleed from red thread. Never has been an issue. I don't see much on canopies from grommets but have never found an issue.

Forums : Skydiving : Gear and Rigging

Search for (options)