Forums: General: Introductions and Greets:
Philadelphia Area

AMB22

Sep 23, 2012, 7:09 PM
Post #1 of 7 (411 views)
Shortcut
Philadelphia Area Can't Post

Hey -

I'm planning to take an AFF course in the next few months and get licensed. I'm in the Philly, PA area. Ultimate goal would be to work up to a wingsuit but for now, I just want to learn the basis, etc.

Does it matter where I take the AFF course? Do I get the same license no matter what? Is there any value to going to one of the best dropzones for the course or is the nearest dropzone sufficient?

Thanks!

FlyingPortagee  (A 64429)

Sep 23, 2012, 7:32 PM
Post #2 of 7 (398 views)
Shortcut
Re: [AMB22] Philadelphia Area [In reply to] Can't Post

The license is a USPA license, same anywhere in the U.S.. It would be better for you if you could get somewhere with a wind tunnel. Tunnel time is very helpful. Welcome ! It's sooo freakin fuuuuuun.

LuckyMcSwervy  (B 32709)

Sep 24, 2012, 3:23 PM
Post #3 of 7 (376 views)
Shortcut

Hit up Cross Keys!! CoolCoolCool

Premier skymama  (D 26699)
Sep 24, 2012, 5:58 PM
Post #4 of 7 (371 views)
Shortcut

Welcome to the forums! Smile Check out the link at the top of the page for dropzone reviews near you. I would suggest driving to your closest dz's and hang out for awhile; the vibe of one place might suit you more than another.

philly51  (D 25269)

Sep 27, 2012, 11:38 AM
Post #5 of 7 (355 views)
Shortcut

The closest dz is Cross Keys (Freefall Adventure). I live in NE Philly and it's 26 miles door to door.
Get there soon as although they're open all year, you might find it somewhat difficult to do AFF in the cold weather.

AMB22

Oct 4, 2012, 2:56 PM
Post #6 of 7 (315 views)
Shortcut
Re: [philly51] Philadelphia Area [In reply to] Can't Post

So it doesn't matter where I get the license? At this point I want to get the license and then visit some dropzones and see what I like most.

Is there any advantage to going to one of the premier dropzones in the US? Seems like a lot of people go to AZ or Ohio.

philly51  (D 25269)

Oct 4, 2012, 3:05 PM
Post #7 of 7 (314 views)
Shortcut

You can get the license at any dropzone and through
any type of student program. Static line, IAD, AFF or tandem progression.
The license is good anywhere in the US.
The main reason head out to Florida, Arizona, California etc. is for the warmer weather.
Like I said, Cross Keys is open all year, but it does get chillier in the winter.

Forums : General : Introductions and Greets

Search for (options)