Forums: Archive: 2013-2015 USPA BOD Elections:
Write ins not "in good standing"

matthewcline  (D 21585)

Sep 21, 2012, 9:41 AM
Post #1 of 11 (1142 views)
Shortcut
Write ins not "in good standing" Can't Post

So what is the BOD's actions, if a write in should win, but it is known by the BOD the Write in is a Chronic BSR breaker, FAA Violator and has been admonished by the RD and other BOD members for their actions, which have been not too good for the sport of skydiving?

Matt

Premier NWFlyer  (D 29960)

Sep 21, 2012, 10:08 AM
Post #2 of 11 (1116 views)
Shortcut
Re: [matthewcline] Write ins not "in good standing" [In reply to] Can't Post

Hmm... looking at the governance manual, the qualifications to be a candidate at first seem pretty clear. The governance manual doesn't specify that the qualifications differ for a "on-ballot" candidate vs. a write-in candidate.

Quote:
3-1.3 CANDIDATE QUALIFICATIONS
A. For consideration as a potential candidate for election to the board, a USPA member must be:
1. a regular member of USPA in good standing maintaining current membership from January 1 of the year prior to the election year
2. 18 years of age as of June 1 of the election year
B. Regional director candidates must reside in the USPA region for which they seek election.
C. No current employees of USPA are eligible for consideration as candidates and may not serve on
the board.

Of course, I can't find anywhere where the term "good standing" is defined, so does it mean any member who is current on their dues and does not have a suspended or revoked membership (or license? or rating?) Or does "good standing" also include that you haven't been censured by the Executive Committee or the Board? If so, what are the time limits of that (if someone censured me back in 1998, is it a black mark on my permanent record or does it have a certain time limit?).

The governance manual also outlines disciplinary procedures in a separate section.

Quote:
SECTION 6: DISCIPLINARY ACTION
A. Any individual member may be censured, suspended or expelled by the USPA Executive Committee, with such action subject to review by the BOD, for causes including but not limited to transgression of basic ethical principles of USPA as detailed in the Constitution, By-Laws, and policies of USPA. If requested, the individual shall be granted a hearing before the BOD at its next scheduled meeting. Notice in writing shall be given the individual at least 30 days in advance. A majority vote of the BOD shall decide any action on the matter.

Section 1.6 also goes into excruciating detail about the process that a Regional Director would use to discipline a member and to escalate to the Executive Committee as necessary.

But it's not clear to me whether the RD has to actually take the step of referring the disciplinary action to the EC to make a decision about suspending or revoking membership for the member to no longer be considered "in good standing."

Premier skybytch  (D License)

Sep 22, 2012, 5:59 AM
Post #3 of 11 (1055 views)
Shortcut

Same as the BOD's actions regarding someone they appointed who busts FAR's. Absolutely nothing.

matthewcline  (D 21585)

Sep 22, 2012, 8:59 AM
Post #4 of 11 (1044 views)
Shortcut
Re: [skybytch] Write ins not "in good standing" [In reply to] Can't Post

I was drawing the same conclusion, given no one on the BOD has taken up the question either.Unsure

Matt

MakeItHappen

Sep 22, 2012, 10:06 AM
Post #5 of 11 (1034 views)
Shortcut

In reply to:
So what is the BOD's actions, if a write in should win, but it is known by the BOD the Write in is a Chronic BSR breaker, FAA Violator and has been admonished by the RD and other BOD members for their actions, which have been not too good for the sport of skydiving?

Matt

If there have been no formal disciplinary actions against the person, then the person is considered to be in good standing.

BTW, the new version of RNOR does define the meaning of 'good standing' in a footnote on page 6.
(too long for me to type it out)

Usually, persons with that type of reputation will not get elected, but there's always a first time.

(This post was edited by MakeItHappen on Sep 22, 2012, 10:06 AM)

matthewcline  (D 21585)

Sep 22, 2012, 12:00 PM
Post #6 of 11 (1026 views)
Shortcut
Re: [MakeItHappen] Write ins not "in good standing" [In reply to] Can't Post

It is this time, unless the BOD acts.
I wont hold my breath though.

I will just leave USPA again, as will many on the region.

Matt

AggieDave  (D License)

Sep 22, 2012, 7:17 PM
Post #7 of 11 (997 views)
Shortcut

Quote:

I'm taking a break from the sport and I thought about keeping my membership up. Then I remembered all the bullshit over the past few years, between the unwillingness to discipline those who do our sport harm, or the willingness to spend membership money on pet projects (the demo team for example) and I decided to not give them any more of my money until I HAVE to when I jump again.

Krip  (Student)

Sep 23, 2012, 8:27 AM
Post #8 of 11 (960 views)
Shortcut
Re: [AggieDave] Write ins not "in good standing" [In reply to] Can't Post

In reply to:
Quote:

I'm taking a break from the sport and I thought about keeping my membership up. Then I remembered all the bullshit over the past few years, between the unwillingness to discipline those who do our sport harm, or the willingness to spend membership money on pet projects (the demo team for example) and I decided to not give them any more of my money until I HAVE to when I jump again.

Hi AD

I did the same thing yr's ago during the rec.days when we found out about the GM program. THE USPA brand was stolen and every DZ was a GM (dues were minimal)

Every GMDZ allowed hook turns, and USPA is what it is.

BTW Watch the time line on your cypres if your going to be off line for a few yr's. It could turn into a worthless paperweight by the time your ready to jump back in.

R

DougH  (D License)

Sep 25, 2012, 10:06 AM
Post #9 of 11 (870 views)
Shortcut
Re: [NWFlyer] Write ins not "in good standing" [In reply to] Can't Post

In reply to:
The governance manual also outlines disciplinary procedures in a separate section.

Quote:
A. Any individual member may be censured, suspended or expelled by the USPA Executive Committee, with such action subject to review by the BOD, for causes including but not limited to transgression of basic ethical principles of USPA as detailed in the Constitution, By-Laws, and policies of USPA. If requested, the individual shall be granted a hearing before the BOD at its next scheduled meeting. Notice in writing shall be given the individual at least 30 days in advance. A majority vote of the BOD shall decide any action on the matter.

How does the Executive Committee document that an individual was given "written notice" at least 30 days in advance.

MakeItHappen

Sep 25, 2012, 1:10 PM
Post #10 of 11 (847 views)
Shortcut
Re: [DougH] Write ins not "in good standing" [In reply to] Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

Quote:

How does the Executive Committee document that an individual was given "written notice" at least 30 days in advance.

The USPA Secretary crafts a letter detailing the issues involved and then sends it to the person via registered/certified mail with receipt confirmation.

johnjds  (D 5703)

Sep 25, 2012, 11:05 PM
Post #11 of 11 (812 views)
Shortcut

I have spent quite a few years on the bod. I never seen a write candidate who won rejected.

Forums : Archive : 2013-2015 USPA BOD Elections

Search for (options)