Forums: Skydiving: Gear and Rigging:
Pilot chute attachment point

treiparinti

Sep 18, 2012, 10:14 PM
Post #1 of 10 (1263 views)
Shortcut
Pilot chute attachment point Can't Post

Hello,
I just purchased a F111 kill line pilot chute from ebay, and from the pictures I didn't realise that the part that should connect to the canopy has no tension bridle. So to be more clear, the pilot chute bridle ends exactly in the point that you have to secure it inside the bag, leaving a one end loose kill line that has a loop at the very end. So i thought that the kill line directly should be the connection point to the canopy. Is that safe? Did anyone saw similar PC? The seller told me that the PC is manufactured by jumpshack, allthought there's no label. I mailed them, but no answer 'till now.

Beatnik  (D 1051)

Sep 19, 2012, 3:45 AM
Post #2 of 10 (1198 views)
Shortcut
Re: [treiparinti] Pilot chute attachment point [In reply to] Can't Post

With out seeing any photos it is hard to say exactly what you have. But it does sound like a Jumpshack pilot chute. With theirs the pilot chute is sewn down to the bag leaving only a kill line to go through a grommet. However, there is another piece of tape. limiting line, that is also sewn to the inside of the bag that is connected to the canopy with the kill line.

There are two things that get connected to the canopy and it sounds like if you are going to use this pilot chute you will have to get a small amount of sewing done. I can take a picture sometime of what I tried to describe above but I don't really want to pull out a packjob to do it.

treiparinti

Sep 19, 2012, 7:27 AM
Post #3 of 10 (1103 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Beatnik] Pilot chute attachment point [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi,
I attached 3 pics - one is made outside the bag, near the stopper, second just inside the bag (I used a soft link from aerodyne for locking the bridle inside the bag), and the 3rd is the only way i figured it out to connect the PC to the canopy, using just the kill line directly.
Don't know if it's clear from the pictures.
Thanks,
Silviu
Attachments: Outside bag.JPG (79.1 KB)
  Inside bag.JPG (67.6 KB)
  Canopy connection.JPG (74.2 KB)

RIGGER  (D 7933)

Sep 19, 2012, 7:57 AM
Post #4 of 10 (1087 views)
Shortcut

Smile Hi

The limited tape is missing & it is a must otherwise you might lose the main p/c & D bag if the kill line spectra line will fail.

The limiter tape in all the different ways it came by the mfg. have the aim to back up the kill if the spectra failed & you still have your p/c & D bag attached to your PCA.

Go to a rigger & fix that.

Cheers

JohnSherman  (D 2105)

Sep 19, 2012, 8:24 AM
Post #5 of 10 (1072 views)
Shortcut

Quote:
The seller told me that the PC is manufactured by jumpshack, allthought there's no label. I mailed them, but no answer 'till now.

Doesn't look like one of our bags. Ours are configured the same but with the "Bag Retainer Line" sewn to the inside of the bag. This piece seems to be missing on yours.

John

treiparinti

Sep 19, 2012, 8:26 AM
Post #6 of 10 (1069 views)
Shortcut
Re: [JohnSherman] Pilot chute attachment point [In reply to] Can't Post

The bag is difrent manufacturer. It's made by aerodyne.
I bought the PC alone, without the bag.

normiss  (D 28356)

Sep 19, 2012, 8:44 AM
Post #7 of 10 (1047 views)
Shortcut

Part of the reasons why I bought a complete one, a Crazer, to replace the sewn-in type that Sunpath insists on.
Crazy

treiparinti

Sep 19, 2012, 8:54 AM
Post #8 of 10 (1041 views)
Shortcut
Re: [JohnSherman] Pilot chute attachment point [In reply to] Can't Post

In reply to:
Quote:
The seller told me that the PC is manufactured by jumpshack, allthought there's no label. I mailed them, but no answer 'till now.

Doesn't look like one of our bags. Ours are configured the same but with the "Bag Retainer Line" sewn to the inside of the bag. This piece seems to be missing on yours.

John
Hi John,
Can you tell me please the lenght of the "Bag retainer line"that you are talking about from the place that is sewn to the bag to the end that is connected to the canopy, and also the place that the tape is sewn on the bag?
Thanks,

Deyan  (D 322)

Sep 19, 2012, 10:38 AM
Post #9 of 10 (1002 views)
Shortcut

In reply to:
Can you tell me please the lenght of the "Bag retainer line"

The length will be different for different sizes PC. It shouldn't be shorter than the PC inners !

Take care.

P.S. I'm also waiting for John's respond. Maybe they have "one size fits all", bag retainer lines.

riggerrob  (D 14840)

Sep 19, 2012, 10:55 AM
Post #10 of 10 (991 views)
Shortcut

In reply to:
... "Bag Retainer Line" sewn to the inside of the bag. This piece seems to be missing on yours.

John
Hi John,
Can you tell me please the length of the "Bag retainer line"that you are talking about from the place that is sewn to the bag to the end that is connected to the canopy, and also the place that the tape is sewn on the bag?
Thanks,

A replacement "Bag retainer Line" can be made of suspension line or tape. The length is about the same as the length of the radial tapes on your pilot-chute: long enough to collapse the pilot-chute, but not so long that the handle gets sucked into the top end of the bridle.
Connect one end of the "bag retainer line" to the ring on top of the canopy and connect the other end to the Maillon Rapide Link, just inside the d-bag.

Any competent FAA Senior Rigger should be able to manufacture and install a replacement "Bag Retainer Line."

Forums : Skydiving : Gear and Rigging

Search for (options)