Forums: Archive: 2013-2015 USPA BOD Elections:
Buzz Fink National Director Candidate Statement

buzzfink  (D 13652)

Sep 9, 2012, 10:19 PM
Post #1 of 7 (1246 views)
Shortcut
Buzz Fink National Director Candidate Statement Can't Post

Well, I see Mike posted his candidate statement and is getting all kinds of flack. So I decided I will too. Why should Mike be the only one attacked. :)

I will also clarify that not only do I oppose a USPA Demo Team, I also contacted USPA President Jay Stokes, USPA Executive Director Ed Scott and Director of Competition Jim Hayhurst and conveyed my opposition to this and explained why. I also committed to assist in other ways to fund the US Parachute Teams without competing with our members.

Enjoy.

V/R

Alan "Buzz" Fink

I am running for national Director because I believe I can bring a fresh approach to the running of our organization. First, I believe USPA should work hard to keep skydivers skydiving. This means closely watching legislative actions and taking action in the interest of all skydivers, including working closely with the FAA. Second, membership dues should be kept low and not raised unless absolutely necessary. Third, I believe we can do a much better job at raising funds for our US Teams. Win or lose, I pledge to raise at least $10,000 for the US Parachute Team Trust fund, which will be designated 50% to go into the trust fund and 50% to be spent on the current years teams. I believe we can fully fund these teams going into the future without burdening the membership though increased dues.
If you agree with what you have read, I ask for your vote. If you disagree with what you read, than vote for the candidates that do represent your beliefs. Either way, please vote.

(This post was edited by buzzfink on Sep 9, 2012, 10:21 PM)

Ron

Sep 10, 2012, 12:05 PM
Post #2 of 7 (1170 views)
Shortcut
Re: [buzzfink] Buzz Fink National Director Candidate Statement [In reply to] Can't Post

Where do you stand on removing the FAA medical for Tandem Instructors?

buzzfink  (D 13652)

Sep 10, 2012, 9:09 PM
Post #3 of 7 (1124 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Ron] Buzz Fink National Director Candidate Statement [In reply to] Can't Post

In reply to:
Where do you stand on removing the FAA medical for Tandem Instructors?

I remember when I got my Tandem rating (have done just over 1,000 Tandems) and I was required to get an FAA Class 3 medical OR EQUIVALENT. I took the class three requirements to my local Chiropractor and he completed many of our Instructors medicals. He did the excat same testing and produced the exact same results.

For me, I need to see the rationale as to why an FAA Class 3 medical is required, and why an equivalent would not be sufficient. If there is a reason for this requirement, and there is an easier and cheaper way for Instructors to meet this requirement, than we have an obligation to simplify and reduce the cost of the requirement when possible.

V/R

Buzz

airtwardo  (D License)

Sep 15, 2012, 4:34 PM
Post #4 of 7 (997 views)
Shortcut
Re: [buzzfink] Buzz Fink National Director Candidate Statement [In reply to] Can't Post

I will also clarify that not only do I oppose a USPA Demo Team, I also contacted USPA President Jay Stokes, USPA Executive Director Ed Scott and Director of Competition Jim Hayhurst and conveyed my opposition to this and explained why. I also committed to assist in other ways to fund the US Parachute Teams without competing with our members.

In reply to:

I with you there Buzz! Cool

rondoman  (D 16357)

Sep 19, 2012, 9:25 PM
Post #5 of 7 (884 views)
Shortcut

I have known Buzz for more than 20 years now, and although I jump at his dz and use his airplanes for my demos, I can (with relative objectivity) say that I know few other people as committed to supporting skydivers and the skydiving community as Buzz Fink. He cares, so he invests the time and thought required to support skydiving. Yes, he's a close friend. But, you don't spend 20+ years knowing someone without getting to know what they are really about. He's the real deal, and his researched and objective point of view about what's good for skydiving is right on.

rmarshall234  (D 18793)

Sep 24, 2012, 7:27 AM
Post #6 of 7 (794 views)
Shortcut
Re: [rondoman] Buzz Fink National Director Candidate Statement [In reply to] Can't Post

I'd like to (publicly) throw my support to Buzz Fink as well. Having worked for him in the early years and now watching him operate from afar for the past dozen or so, I can comfortably say he has done as much to promote the sport of skydiving - and safety in particular - as anyone around. His record at SDSD supports it.

When it was an extremely unpopular thing to do (and he took plenty of heat for it) he required jumpers to have a cypress. Now it's become the norm. Whenever Judy or I had a special airplane/load/equipment/personnel request and it didn't conflict with the business at-hand, he made it happen. He's created a thriving skydiving "fun zone" out of virtually nothing at the east end of Otay Lakes. And, I believe he has the demeanor to work well with everyone involved to represent our sport in a professional way.

He sucks at ping-pong and pool, but that's a different story.

airtwardo  (D License)

Sep 24, 2012, 1:10 PM
Post #7 of 7 (769 views)
Shortcut
Re: [rmarshall234] Buzz Fink National Director Candidate Statement [In reply to] Can't Post

~ I was a SDAPC instructor back in the 'Mooomaaa Daze' and then watched as Buzz Fink turned the place into a REAL drop-zone.

I think Mr. Fink works both hard & smart, has a real understanding of where we are with the sport, the problems we face and a true grasp on how to approach the things we need to do as an organization.

From what I know of him, there's no hidden agenda or ulterior motives regarding his candidacy for national director.

For those not familiar with Buzz, he has proven leadership skills, business savvy and unquestionably an impressive history of success both in AND outside the world of Skydiving.

There is and always has been a genuine interest on his part in making skydiving safe, accessible & rewarding for everyone involved ~ and doing that fairly with an eye on the overall 'big picture'

BTW~ ...that's the way it SHOULD be, I'm not sure that's always the case currently at headquarters.

I respect his accomplishments and opinions, I have no reservation offering my vote.

The sport is constantly changing and evolving, I see Buzz as someone not only aware of that on every level...but also one who's passionate and progressive enough to pursue changes from within that need to be addressed, and truthfully have been for some time.

I constantly hear grumblings of dissatisfaction regarding current leadership, good ole boy politics and status quo...if ya think 'new blood' might be a good thing this election ~ and who doesn't?

~Here it is. Cool

Forums : Archive : 2013-2015 USPA BOD Elections

Search for (options)