Forums: Skydiving: Incidents:
Injury? - Ft. Dodge, IA - Sept 2012

Premier PhreeZone  (D License)
Sep 4, 2012, 12:31 PM
Post #1 of 16 (4768 views)
Shortcut
Injury? - Ft. Dodge, IA - Sept 2012 Can't Post

I have received a report of serious injury out at Couch Freaks early on in the boogie. All the details that were sent to me were that it was a high performance turn that ended with serious injuries. Does anyone have details of the incident?

Premier PhreeZone  (D License)
Sep 4, 2012, 1:38 PM
Post #2 of 16 (4649 views)
Shortcut
Re: [PhreeZone] Injury? - Ft. Dodge, IA - Sept 2012 [In reply to] Can't Post

I had someone message me that the jumper broke his C2 vertebra in 3 places and was still in the hospital.

Fast  (D 28237)

Sep 4, 2012, 3:23 PM
Post #3 of 16 (4539 views)
Shortcut

In reply to:
I have received a report of serious injury out at Couch Freaks early on in the boogie. All the details that were sent to me were that it was a high performance turn that ended with serious injuries. Does anyone have details of the incident?

I was there but in the air and didn't see it, general consensus from a couple people on the ground was as indicated in your post. Supposedly someone saw some CPR going on, then they hauled him off to the hospital. I am sure it helped that EMS was on scene basically right away as they patrol the grounds the entire time of the boogie.

linebckr83  (D 30571)

Sep 5, 2012, 9:25 AM
Post #4 of 16 (4018 views)
Shortcut

Yes 3 breaks in vertebra and cranial swelling. He is responsive but still heavily sedated. Vitals are improving and he has some involuntary small movements.

joeybee  (C 41107)

Sep 5, 2012, 1:09 PM
Post #5 of 16 (3883 views)
Shortcut

I was on the load and landed just before him. He hit about 30 yards to my right as we both faced into the wind / direction of landing. I was coiling my lines and heard a high pitched scream or sound, looked over and saw him hit near a friend I was jumping with. Got over there and dropped my rig, others were there and coming fast. He was prone and motionless. A women said that he wasn't breathing or not breathing well. I took C-spine and we log rolled him over. He had a open-faced camera helmet with a large chin cup with a cut-away cable. Fire arrived by golf cart. His main was cut-away and he seemed to be in respiratory arrest. His container removed and I cut away his helmet and someone removed it and his sunglasses. CPR was started with a BVM (Bag-Valve-Mask) with supplemental O2. Chest compressions were also done for awhile. His eyes were open but he was totally unresponsive. A king Airway was inserted and bagging continued. After a bit he started shallow breathing, so the women (1st responder bystander) on the bag assisted in adequate breathing. His clothes (Jumpsuit) was cut off, C-collar applied, then he was long-boarded with head blocks and straps, moved to the gurney and ambulance. He had small bleeding from the mouth, but otherwise no other injuries apparent. His skin color looked good the whole time. He never moved or seemed to wake up. That is all I know. Great team-work from bystanders (I'm a 21 year firefighter and EMT), Others also were trained and the Fire Dept was there right away with a couple of guys on a golf cart followed by a truck later.

linebckr83  (D 30571)

Sep 6, 2012, 8:29 AM
Post #6 of 16 (3557 views)
Shortcut
Re: [joeybee] Injury? - Ft. Dodge, IA - Sept 2012 [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks Joey and the others for everything you did for him. He's a close friend of mine and you very well saved his life.

rehmwa  (D 12816)

Sep 6, 2012, 9:07 AM
Post #7 of 16 (3523 views)
Shortcut

Wow, Joey - you had a busy boogie

joeybee  (C 41107)

Sep 7, 2012, 10:25 PM
Post #8 of 16 (3187 views)
Shortcut
Re: [rehmwa] Injury? - Ft. Dodge, IA - Sept 2012 [In reply to] Can't Post

Yup, I even got a ride in the golf cart back to my van about 24 hours later by those nice fi
In reply to:
refighters.

Skydivesg  (D 10938)

Sep 11, 2012, 4:24 PM
Post #9 of 16 (2772 views)
Shortcut
Re: [linebckr83] Injury? - Ft. Dodge, IA - Sept 2012 [In reply to] Can't Post

Wasn't this the same guy who got carted off to the hospital last year?

Someone said he is the one who got knocked silly in an in-air collision and had an AAD fire last year.

Is this true?

linebckr83  (D 30571)

Sep 11, 2012, 5:37 PM
Post #10 of 16 (2723 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Skydivesg] Injury? - Ft. Dodge, IA - Sept 2012 [In reply to] Can't Post

Yes same guy. He didn't have an AAD fire last year, he came to and pulled silver on his own.

obelixtim  (D 84)

Sep 12, 2012, 3:51 AM
Post #11 of 16 (2588 views)
Shortcut
Re: [linebckr83] Injury? - Ft. Dodge, IA - Sept 2012 [In reply to] Can't Post

Sounds like he's being followed around by a tall skinny guy in a black cloak carrying a scythe.

He hasn't caught up to him yet, so he needs to shake him off his tail, pronto.

chriswelker  (D 19678)

Sep 21, 2012, 10:11 AM
Post #12 of 16 (2205 views)
Shortcut

After 16 years of skydiving I know this.....3 things can happen on a skydive, 2 of them are not good. If you make bad decisions it can or may cost you your life. Souds like this man is very fortunate to be alive.

joeybee  (C 41107)

Aug 30, 2013, 2:48 PM
Post #13 of 16 (1373 views)
Shortcut
Re: [chriswelker] Injury? - Ft. Dodge, IA - Sept 2012 [In reply to] Can't Post

Well it has been about a year. I was thinking about this guy and wondering how well he recovered. Anyone know? Hopefully he is doing well. And everyone at Couch be careful and have fun./

stratostar  (Student)

Aug 30, 2013, 5:00 PM
Post #14 of 16 (1241 views)
Shortcut

I saw him in a restaurant few months back, did not get to talk but he was walking and all that just fine. I don't believe he is still jumping.

Krip  (Student)

Aug 30, 2013, 5:46 PM
Post #15 of 16 (1205 views)
Shortcut
Re: [stratostar] Injury? - Ft. Dodge, IA - Sept 2012 [In reply to] Can't Post

stratostr wrote:
I saw him in a restaurant few months back, did not get to talk but he was walking and all that just fine. I don't believe he is still jumping.

Hi SS

That is excellent news on both counts.

A very lucky man.

R.l.P.

FB1609  (C 1409)

Aug 30, 2013, 8:14 PM
Post #16 of 16 (1030 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Krip] Injury? - Ft. Dodge, IA - Sept 2012 [In reply to] Can't Post

Great job by all!

Forums : Skydiving : Incidents

Search for (options)