Forums: Skydiving: Gear and Rigging:
Will skydiving riggers inspect BASE rigs?

rss_v

Aug 25, 2012, 6:50 AM
Post #1 of 8 (1252 views)
Shortcut
Will skydiving riggers inspect BASE rigs? Can't Post

As in the title. Will a DZ inspect BASE rigs normally or might he stay well away from them?

I know, I should ask my local rigger. And I will when I see him :D

obelixtim  (D 84)

Aug 25, 2012, 9:24 AM
Post #2 of 8 (1194 views)
Shortcut
Re: [rss_v] Will skydiving riggers inspect BASE rigs? [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't see why not. Most of the components are similar, and a good rigger can pick up any obvious flaws or problems. There can be a wide variety of skydiving rigs which a rigger will come across sooner or later.

As a rigger I've inspected and packed hang glider rigs, pilot and glider rigs, microlight rigs, and even the harnesses they use at the local bungy site, not to mention a few parasailing rigs.

Even set up and tested an emergency system for the "Rack" where one of the local helicopter operators started taking punters for joy rides underneath the chopper, until the NZCAA took him to court to shut him down, they failed, but the legal costs effectively put him out of business.

Base rigs are really not that much different to any other rig.

councilman24  (D 8631)

Aug 25, 2012, 9:48 AM
Post #3 of 8 (1177 views)
Shortcut

Some riggers may not want whatever legal exposure it may add. Others are dealer or makers of BASE gear. I'm more than happy to offer opinion/service on materials and components I'm familiar with. Some aerial sports use materials I'm not familiar with. I've been asked to work on Para-sails but didn't' have a source for the materials at the time.

As with all rigging, the rigger always has the ability to say no.

GLIDEANGLE  (D 30292)

Aug 25, 2012, 10:27 AM
Post #4 of 8 (1165 views)
Shortcut

I would guess that riggers who jump BASE would be most likely to be of help to you.

riggerrob  (D 14840)

Aug 25, 2012, 11:47 AM
Post #5 of 8 (1131 views)
Shortcut

My last BASE jump was 29 years ago, but I will cheerfully inspect BASE gear and do simple repairs. Just don't ask for a signature!
Hah!
Hah!

Iago  (D License)

Aug 28, 2012, 10:11 PM
Post #6 of 8 (731 views)
Shortcut

They'll probably inspect it for physical problems, but in BASE you pack your own shit.

JohnSherman  (D 2105)

Aug 29, 2012, 7:56 AM
Post #7 of 8 (672 views)
Shortcut

A good rigger should be happy to apply his skills to inspect and pack your BASE rig, (for a fee) but they can't Certify it as it is usually not TSO'ed (Some are TSO'ed and they can be sealed and certified)

pchapman  (D 1014)

Aug 29, 2012, 9:09 AM
Post #8 of 8 (649 views)
Shortcut

As a rigger I don't mind. But keep in mind what the rigger is familiar with or not.

Fixing some stitching on a BASE container may be the same as on a skydiving container. Patching a BASE canopy may be the same as patching a skydiving canopy. But if the rigger doesn't know a particular container's design, or BASE design in general, he's not going to know the subtleties of a rig. Give him a BASE rig from a few years back to evaluate and he may have no clue about specific design features, whether a feature is now considered old fashioned in the industry, acceptable, or top of the line.

Forums : Skydiving : Gear and Rigging

Search for (options)