Forums: Community: Skydivers with Disabilities:
Deaf - radio assistance

Babyrosey

Aug 27, 2012, 5:12 PM
Post #1 of 7 (1216 views)
Shortcut
Deaf - radio assistance Can't Post

I am looking forward to start my AFF course, but I've heard that there will be radio assistance but I am 100% deaf!

At my DZ, I've spoken to them, they said it is not a problem, they will use hand signal, but I am still nervous if that goes wrong as well. I am not sure if he meant hand signal at dropzone, because I wouldn't be able to see that far and I am worried if I couldn't find the dropzone. I know I worry too much.

I am hoping that someone done this before and could explain me how this works, or any better ways to do this? Please.

PiLFy  (A License)

Aug 27, 2012, 5:40 PM
Post #2 of 7 (1204 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Babyrosey] Deaf - radio assistance [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi,
There's a search function in the upper right hand corner of the screens. Deaf + AFF yielded this:

http://www.dropzone.com/...p;sb=score&mh=25

Enjoy your AFF.

BillyVance  (D 18895)

Aug 27, 2012, 11:48 PM
Post #3 of 7 (1184 views)
Shortcut

I'm deaf and have been jumping since 1993. My instructor used brightly painted orange paddles for directional turns and flares. I never used a radio. What he did is make sure I knew the layout of the area using a photo of the ground from way up, either taken from a plane or from satellite photos, so that from where I was, I could recognize landmarks and ground features to determine where the DZ is. And from there, I could pinpoint where he was supposed to be holding his paddles from 4500 feet.

Babyrosey

Aug 28, 2012, 12:07 AM
Post #4 of 7 (1181 views)
Shortcut
Re: [BillyVance] Deaf - radio assistance [In reply to] Can't Post

So there is no problem with that? everything goes perfectly well?

Fast  (D 28237)

Aug 28, 2012, 7:55 AM
Post #5 of 7 (1167 views)
Shortcut

In reply to:
So there is no problem with that? everything goes perfectly well?

We taught a few people 3 years ago (a whole class of 4 that were deaf) using the same system. Hand signals with paddles from the ground. It's what they used to use for everyone back in the day before radios were small enough and dropzones could afford fancy electronics.

You just need to be sure to study the map of the area very well.

Good luck and have a lot of fun!!!! Smile

juggalo  (D License)

May 2, 2014, 9:09 AM
Post #6 of 7 (362 views)
Shortcut

Years ago early 80's we had some deaf jumpers and did really intense canopy training along with the colored paddles to guide them and they all landed fine. Also knew a dz that never used radios for students and only had 1 miss the lz over a 4-5 year period.
Also our DZO rigged up a servo from a remote control plane that controlled a indicator that mounted like a chest altimeter. It would move left or right to signal a turn then go back to center to stop. When they got close to landing we used the paddles to signal the flare.
Hope this helps!
Good luck

Lukasz_Se  (A License)

May 2, 2014, 10:09 AM
Post #7 of 7 (344 views)
Shortcut

On my drop zone we didn't get radio assistance on our AFF jumps, most people still landed ok even on their first jumps :) With good ground training I don't think radios are really necessary, unless the landing area where you want to do your Aff is small or there are no safe places for landing out. Have fun!

Forums : Community : Skydivers with Disabilities

Search for (options)