Forums: Archive: 2013-2015 USPA BOD Elections:
2012 Election Candidate Statements

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

MikeTJumps  (D 5957)

Aug 27, 2012, 1:08 AM
Post #1 of 37 (2866 views)
Shortcut
2012 Election Candidate Statements Can't Post

For the record, here is what I have submitted to the USPA for my 2012 Election Biography.

"As the co-author of Parachuting, The Skydiver's Handbook (the leading introductory text for skydivers) and as an Instructor Examiner (non-current) in our sport, I have had the unique opportunity and privilege of working in our sport for over thirty years. I have also been a jump pilot for Cessna operations as well as co-pilot of Twin Otters and DC-3s. I continue to be heavily involved in BOD meetings (almost continuously since 1997) as an advisor to the Safety and Training Committee. I have had the opportunity to contribute to the shaping of our sport's doctrine and recommendations. I am also the Parachute Industry Associationĺs designated representative to the USPAĺs BOD. While my obligations to the Civil Air Patrol as a squadron commander in Houston, TX have precluded my ability to maintain current ratings, my love and support for our sport is unending. I also serve as an expert witness on legal cases to defend those who do right and admonish those who do wrong in our sport. I have defended the USPA, dropzones and instructors in various cases over the past twelve years. I hope to be able to be a voting member of the BOD by being elected by you. Thank you for your consideration."

stratostar  (Student)

Aug 27, 2012, 5:08 AM
Post #2 of 37 (2782 views)
Shortcut
Re: [MikeTJumps] 2012 Election Candidate Statements [In reply to] Can't Post

All fluff and no issues. I'm not interested in hearing all about your past inflammatory text removed by slotperfect, I want to know what your plan is moving forward if your elected.

Let's start here,

1. Pending airport access and PLA's issue
2. USPA funded Demo team
3. medicals for TI's other then Class 3.

And 4. With all your history and hanging around all the old BOD, many of whom have proven their best interest was in the "good old boy's" club loyalty then it was to the memberships as a whole, why should anyone believe your not a card carrying member who should have our vote?

(This post was edited by slotperfect on Aug 27, 2012, 7:58 AM)

chuckakers  (D 10855)

Aug 27, 2012, 5:17 AM
Post #3 of 37 (2768 views)
Shortcut
Re: [stratostar] 2012 Election Candidate Statements [In reply to] Can't Post

In reply to:
I'm not interested in hearing all about your past quoted inflammatory text removed by slotperfect, side.....

Tough room.

(This post was edited by slotperfect on Aug 27, 2012, 7:58 AM)

chuckakers  (D 10855)

Aug 27, 2012, 5:18 AM
Post #4 of 37 (2767 views)
Shortcut

What are you running for - Regional or National?

MikeTJumps  (D 5957)

Aug 27, 2012, 7:51 AM
Post #5 of 37 (2721 views)
Shortcut
Re: [chuckakers] 2012 Election Candidate Statements [In reply to] Can't Post

National and yes, lots of slander in here.

Premier slotperfect  (D 13014)

Aug 27, 2012, 7:59 AM
Post #6 of 37 (2707 views)
Shortcut

stratostar - please use some tact in your feedback.

davelepka  (D 21448)

Aug 27, 2012, 8:03 AM
Post #7 of 37 (2701 views)
Shortcut

Quote:
lots of slander in here.

I don't exactly see it, but you might look at it that way. The only 'statement' about you was that you used to hang out with BOD members, which may be incorrect. The rest were questions as to your intentions if elected.

In either case, I think it's a valid point that your history is only half of the story. It does demonstrate your experience and dedication to the sport, but it says nothing about your intentions if you should be elected.

Can you address issues 1 through 3 as lsited above? While you're at it, how about your position with regards to canopy control courses or canopy size/type regulation?

SEREJumper  (D 29555)

Aug 27, 2012, 8:19 AM
Post #8 of 37 (2691 views)
Shortcut

Mike,

I hope you are not surprised by the reactions of some on here and I do not know you. But really, looking at your candidate statement, you have not been very active in the sport.

Quote:
While my obligations to the Civil Air Patrol as a squadron commander in Houston, TX have precluded my ability to maintain current ratings, my love and support for our sport is unending.

I was also involved in CAP, so I know how much time that involves. Personally, I think our BOD needs a more active representative. I still love CAP, its a great organization, but I'm keeping a distance since I know I wouldn't be able to balance the two activities and give them both the time and energy they deserve.

robinheid  (D 5533)

Aug 27, 2012, 9:25 AM
Post #9 of 37 (2654 views)
Shortcut

In reply to:
National and yes, lots of slander in here.

Libel, Mike. Slander is verbal, libel is written.

And when you're running for public office, the legal threshold for either is much higher than for a private citizen, so you might want to just grin and bear it because, as another poster said, ain't nothing here that reaches the libel threshold.

On the other hand, I'm seeing a lot of stuff here that reminds me of the observation made by veteran jumper/innovator/BOD member Madden Works: "Skydivers not only eat their young but their old too."

Can't recall that we've ever met, but the fact that you go to all the BOD meetings for years on end, amplified by the fact the PIA makes you its BOD representative, plus your very current experience in the US GA environment via CAP, speaks volumes to me about not only your commitment to but your understanding of issues relevant to parachutists in this country.

Whether that makes you a good choice for the BOD is a different question, but it seems to me that a lot of the recent hoo-hah about you is a direct result of the adage that if you're not stepping on somebody's toes, you're not going anywhere.

Cool

MikeTJumps  (D 5957)

Aug 27, 2012, 11:03 AM
Post #10 of 37 (2614 views)
Shortcut

I strongly support all airport access issues. There is a lot of discussion about the proposed Parachute Landing Area issues and the time for putting in viewpoints to the FAA is rapidly approaching its termination. The proposal they have promoted is very restrictive to many existing operations and needs to be adjusted with common sense.

As to funding a Demo Team, I think their impetus is to put a really professional team in the mix for airshows which unfortunately did have quite a few mishaps these past few years with some injuries to both skydivers and spectators. I'm a bit wishy-washy on this but I can see their viewpoint.

Medicals for Tandem Instructors, I think they should be required. Unfortunately, with a past (unfortunate) record and/or multiple DWIs, a person may not be eligible for an FAA medical certificate. Several possibilities were brought to the table but none of them passed muster with the existing BOD members. This is one of those things that the FAA may be involved in as tandem incidents continue to increase.

My hope is to be able to represent the common everyday jumper and rating holder, not the team jumper or the DZ owner. I want to bring some sense to the discussions as I have tried to do these past many years.

MikeTJumps  (D 5957)

Aug 27, 2012, 11:07 AM
Post #11 of 37 (2611 views)
Shortcut
Re: [robinheid] 2012 Election Candidate Statements [In reply to] Can't Post

I stand corrected!

I look forward to the day we do meet and make a jump together. I will get back into jumping next year as I will be losing my permanent job sometime in the summer due to the company that I currently work for moving from the Houston, TX area to Phoenix, AZ. I'll have some fun time then!

chuckakers  (D 10855)

Aug 27, 2012, 11:59 AM
Post #12 of 37 (2583 views)
Shortcut

In reply to:
As to funding a Demo Team, I think their impetus is to put a really professional team in the mix for airshows which unfortunately did have quite a few mishaps these past few years with some injuries to both skydivers and spectators. I'm a bit wishy-washy on this but I can see their viewpoint.

I'm calling BS on this one, MT.

USPA hasn't made any public statements that I know of saying the motive behind the demo team had anything to do with mishaps on the part of other teams, and if that was a motive that's bogus too. The addition of a USPA "professional" team would do nothing to make other teams safer or reduce "mishaps", unless the logic is that every demo the USPA team does is a demo that another team won't botch. If that's the case, then this team was indeed intended to compete with existing teams, and USPA insisted that was not the case. In fact, they even tried to tell us that the team wouldn't even bid on jumps currently being done by other teams.

Are you saying that was a motive and USPA just hasn't publicly said so? Are you assuming it was? Do you have information that wasn't released to the general membership?

IMO, the USPA demo team is a perfect example of the head shed going off in directions that it was never intended to go.

Since you are running for the board, why don't you give your take on it?

matthewcline  (D 21585)

Aug 27, 2012, 12:01 PM
Post #13 of 37 (2585 views)
Shortcut

In reply to:
I strongly support all airport access issues. There is a lot of discussion about the proposed Parachute Landing Area issues and the time for putting in viewpoints to the FAA is rapidly approaching its termination. The proposal they have promoted is very restrictive to many existing operations and needs to be adjusted with common sense.

Medicals for Tandem Instructors, I think they should be required. Unfortunately, with a past (unfortunate) record and/or multiple DWIs, a person may not be eligible for an FAA medical certificate. Several possibilities were brought to the table but none of them passed muster with the existing BOD members. This is one of those things that the FAA may be involved in as tandem incidents continue to increase.

My hope is to be able to represent the common everyday jumper and rating holder, not the team jumper or the DZ owner. I want to bring some sense to the discussions as I have tried to do these past many years.

The Demo Team as presented was not what you wrote here. As presented it would be no better than the semi pro Teams they wished to compete against. The potential for more harm than good was prevalent.

Chucks Reply is far better than mine.

Matt

(This post was edited by matthewcline on Aug 27, 2012, 12:03 PM)

stratostar  (Student)

Aug 27, 2012, 12:26 PM
Post #14 of 37 (2571 views)
Shortcut
Re: [matthewcline] 2012 Election Candidate Statements [In reply to] Can't Post

Quote:
The proposal they have promoted is very restrictive to many existing operations and needs to be adjusted with common sense.

What do you bring to the table and what are your ideas to deal the FAA on this or as you say "be adjusted with common sense".

Quote:
with a past (unfortunate) record and/or multiple DWIs, a person may not be eligible for an FAA medical certificate.

So your saying that you support the granting a waver to a life long drunk who has had his DL revoked for life by the state of Ohio, due to all his DUI's, like 15 of them or so. In order for him to conduct tandem jumps..... Oh wait, I thought everyone was all bent out of shape about DUI's and yet a life long and I might add, highly recorded life long drunks can get a pass.....

See how that shit don't pass the smell test here. Also what professional demo teams have had major screw up's this season where people got hurt?

What is your take on the 9 or 10 or 12 airplanes the industry has had crash this season due to lack of fuel. And with all the education out there on flying without fuel and how that don't work out to well, how do you propose to help end this spike in AC incidents, after all the hoopla over the NTSB report and all that.

matthewcline  (D 21585)

Aug 27, 2012, 12:39 PM
Post #15 of 37 (2555 views)
Shortcut

(wrong guy)

Matt

stratostar  (Student)

Aug 27, 2012, 2:08 PM
Post #16 of 37 (2522 views)
Shortcut
Re: [matthewcline] 2012 Election Candidate Statements [In reply to] Can't Post

Last in line..Wink

MikeTJumps  (D 5957)

Aug 27, 2012, 8:22 PM
Post #18 of 37 (2454 views)
Shortcut

No, I don't support having a TI rating for a person with multiple DUIs. I think a TI needs to be very professional and have a clean record or one that has been proven to be reliable. Multiple DUIs...no way. One mistake, okay. Two is questionable but three and he or she is out in my book!

Other questions....I can't answer them right now. I'm exhausted from being flight delayed from the PIA meeting. I need some sleep.

MikeTJumps  (D 5957)

Aug 28, 2012, 10:14 AM
Post #19 of 37 (2407 views)
Shortcut

Chuck,
You are correct in that nothing has been publicly stated but I suspect that there will be statements in the USPA's secretary's minutes as to what their intent was. I was there for part of the discussion but not for all of it.

I have mixed feelings about it. I think several teams should be designated as professional demonstration teams representing the USPA at airshows., not just one. Airshows get lots of publicity. The REMAX team of Al Saylor's is one of the good ones that I know of. I've flown his aircraft and jumped on a demo of his in the past. He does a good job.

chuckakers  (D 10855)

Aug 28, 2012, 10:53 AM
Post #21 of 37 (2398 views)
Shortcut

In reply to:
Chuck,
You are correct in that nothing has been publicly stated but I suspect that there will be statements in the USPA's secretary's minutes as to what their intent was. I was there for part of the discussion but not for all of it.

I have mixed feelings about it. I think several teams should be designated as professional demonstration teams representing the USPA at airshows., not just one. Airshows get lots of publicity. The REMAX team of Al Saylor's is one of the good ones that I know of. I've flown his aircraft and jumped on a demo of his in the past. He does a good job.

Just to make completely sure that I'm getting this right, you are telling me that one of the motives behind USPA wanting to start "their own" demo team was indeed because of a few mishaps by existing teams?

And moreover, why should there be ANY teams representing USPA at ANY demos?

Again, we are going places USPA isn't chartered to go. Aside from possibly the Knights, airshow patrons couldn't give a rats ass where a demo team comes from or who they are. Having a team with USPA patches on their jumpsuits won't do any more to promote the sport than a team without said patches, so my next question is exactly what do you believe we have to gain by deploying a USPA team that isn't being gained from the existing efforts of existing teams?

robinheid  (D 5533)

Aug 28, 2012, 12:17 PM
Post #22 of 37 (2371 views)
Shortcut

In reply to:
In reply to:
Chuck,

Just to make completely sure that I'm getting this right, you are telling me that one of the motives behind USPA wanting to start "their own" demo team was indeed because of a few mishaps by existing teams?

And moreover, why should there be ANY teams representing USPA at ANY demos?

Again, we are going places USPA isn't chartered to go. Aside from possibly the Knights, airshow patrons couldn't give a rats ass where a demo team comes from or who they are. Having a team with USPA patches on their jumpsuits won't do any more to promote the sport than a team without said patches, so my next question is exactly what do you believe we have to gain by deploying a USPA team that isn't being gained from the existing efforts of existing teams?

+1

And not only is there nothing to be gained, there is a great deal that could be lost through the associated liability in the event that a "USPA" demo team mucks up a demo -- regardless of whether it's an "official" USPA team or a "designated" USPA team.

There are always going to be muckups at demos --even the APT has had its moments over the years -- and for USPA to get into this business in any way shape or form is brain dead on its face and would make the Skyride fiasco look like chump change.

And when you take into account the way in which it will steal business from its own members, it's really a recipe for a first-class clusterfink -- and along with the wingsuit rating nonsense is just one more solution in search of a problem that will actually create problems where there are none.

Cool

pms07  (D 7571)

Aug 28, 2012, 7:21 PM
Post #25 of 37 (2279 views)
Shortcut

Mike,
Many members, including me, want USPA to stay out of the demo business. There are potential conflicts of interest and other issues with that proposal...and I don't recall anyone ever proposing that mishaps with other teams was part of the rationale. Recommend you get that issue straight.

Not answering questions from anonymous troll-like posters is entirely reasonable. But, expect an infrequent communication like that if you are elected. At least that was my experience on the Board...

Meanwhile, explaining your currency circumstances is advisable. For me, a candidate not having recent jumps in no way disqualifies them and there are several outstanding past BoD members that did not jump for many years because of injuries or other reasons. I could name at least 3 I've voted for multiple times.

At the same time, when I mark the ballot of a candidate that has not jumped for years I want to know why...and I might question something like "I've been too busy for 4 years". I don't know or have comments on your circumstances other than what I've seen in this forum...but I think a more expansive explanation might be in your interests.

Some in this forum are likely unaware that you are a long time USPA activist and have put significant effort into supporting USPA...including working with the BoD, all at your own expense I assume. I admire that and think it's great to have another candidate with a track record of contributing to the sport.

Pat

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Archive : 2013-2015 USPA BOD Elections

Search for (options)