Forums: Skydiving Disciplines: Swooping and Canopy Control:
Lead packaging for weight belts?

SRI85  (D License)

Aug 21, 2012, 6:18 PM
Post #1 of 15 (1405 views)
Shortcut
Lead packaging for weight belts? Can't Post

I need a weight belt. There is a couple available at my local gear store with out weights. I picked up a 25lb bag of shotgun lead, as this seemed a lot cheaper then paying for weights from a skydive store. I just need something to package it with, within the belt itself.

Also are the weight belts typically used by RW flyers suitable to carry 25lbs? maybe i need 2?

Thanks for the help.

voilsb  (D 30581)

Aug 21, 2012, 8:40 PM
Post #2 of 15 (1387 views)
Shortcut
Re: [SRI85] Lead packaging for weight belts? [In reply to] Can't Post

I make mine by putting 1, 2, or 3 lb of shot in a plastic sandwich baggie, then putting it inside some cordura I sew into the piece of weight. Be sure to make your cordura holders a little bigger than you think, because even in the baggies the shot likes to move around and make it a pain to sew.

BTW, if you're not already decent with a sewing maching, you might wanna have your rigger make the weights for you. They're remarkably harder than you might expect.

DiverMike  (C 40024)

Aug 22, 2012, 7:55 AM
Post #3 of 15 (1348 views)
Shortcut
Re: [voilsb] Lead packaging for weight belts? [In reply to] Can't Post

Nylon stockings or hosiery works better than plastic sandwich bags.

Fast  (D 28237)

Aug 22, 2012, 1:23 PM
Post #4 of 15 (1323 views)
Shortcut

Tubular nylon webbing works well for making the weights cause you only have to sew the ends and it's perfectly round when it's filled up.

Sew one end off, flip it inside out, fill with lead (in a baggie if you want) then sew the other end shut. Comes in consistent sizes. so all the weights feel the same.

(This post was edited by Fast on Aug 22, 2012, 1:24 PM)

SRI85  (D License)

Aug 22, 2012, 2:27 PM
Post #5 of 15 (1310 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Fast] Lead packaging for weight belts? [In reply to] Can't Post

In reply to:
Tubular nylon webbing works well for making the weights cause you only have to sew the ends and it's perfectly round when it's filled up.

Sew one end off, flip it inside out, fill with lead (in a baggie if you want) then sew the other end shut. Comes in consistent sizes. so all the weights feel the same.

Thanks, I like this idea, can you recommend a place to buy these from? and size i should get? is it something i can get at a local fabric store?

indyz  (D 28525)

Aug 22, 2012, 3:24 PM
Post #6 of 15 (1306 views)
Shortcut

I use 2" climb-spec tubular webbing. Most stores that sell climbing gear will carry it, or you can find it online at REI.

freeflyn  (D License)

Aug 22, 2012, 3:46 PM
Post #7 of 15 (1293 views)
Shortcut

You can purchase scuba weight, that is pre-packed mesh bags. The nice thing about using it is scuba weight belts are TSA-approved for carry on. It is usually available in 1, 2.5, 3, and 5lb bags.

danornan  (D 11308)

Sep 5, 2012, 4:55 PM
Post #8 of 15 (1181 views)
Shortcut
Re: [freeflyn] Lead packaging for weight belts? [In reply to] Can't Post

In reply to:
You can purchase scuba weight, that is pre-packed mesh bags. The nice thing about using it is scuba weight belts are TSA-approved for carry on. It is usually available in 1, 2.5, 3, and 5lb bags.

That is what I use and I just wear it up to the TSA inspection when I fly. TSA generally asks if I'm going diving.

Premier ianmdrennan  (D 25821)
Sep 5, 2012, 7:07 PM
Post #9 of 15 (1164 views)
Shortcut
Re: [danornan] Lead packaging for weight belts? [In reply to] Can't Post

I do the same. I've only ever had an issue with it 1 time.

SRI85  (D License)

Sep 5, 2012, 7:13 PM
Post #10 of 15 (1157 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ianmdrennan] Lead packaging for weight belts? [In reply to] Can't Post

so my new question is, is there any way to wear 25lbs comfortably?

danornan  (D 11308)

Sep 5, 2012, 7:52 PM
Post #11 of 15 (1149 views)
Shortcut

Sure, I do it all the time and as soon as you leave the airplane, you don't even feel them! :-)

Sometimes mix it up and wear some of the lead in a vest.

(This post was edited by danornan on Sep 5, 2012, 7:53 PM)

Premier ianmdrennan  (D 25821)
Sep 5, 2012, 8:22 PM
Post #12 of 15 (1140 views)
Shortcut

I use a regular diving belt. It's cheaper, and just fine to wear around the waist. Mine only holds 20 pounds though, any more and you probably need a proper skydiving weight belt.

Ian

mchamp  (D 32129)

Sep 6, 2012, 7:16 AM
Post #13 of 15 (1095 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ianmdrennan] Lead packaging for weight belts? [In reply to] Can't Post

I purchase a DeepSeed Deluxe Weightbelt.......super comfy and exceptionally well built. Only problem I have was that I could only max it out at 12lbs. While for now is more than enough, but for future competition I'll need as much as I can get without having to use 2 weight belts.

Smaller lead shot vs size = more weight per pouch correct? Might just have too large size of lead shot as well.

edit to add: Found out best ratio is to mix and match different sizes for highest density. Any mathematics wiz like to please calculate that for me? Smile

(This post was edited by mchamp on Sep 6, 2012, 9:35 AM)

DiverMike  (C 40024)

Sep 6, 2012, 9:20 AM
Post #14 of 15 (1075 views)
Shortcut
Re: [mchamp] Lead packaging for weight belts? [In reply to] Can't Post

In reply to:
Found out best ratio is to mix and match different sizes for highest density. Any mathematics wiz like to please calculate that for me?

The air volume between packed spheres will always reduce when the radii of the spheres shorten, so smaller is always better.

Not that it answers any part of your question, but the greatest volume that uniformly sized spheres can occupy is pi / 3 * sqrt(2) or approximately .74048 or 74% of the available space

SRI85  (D License)

Sep 6, 2012, 6:50 PM
Post #15 of 15 (1023 views)
Shortcut

This is what i ended up with. 7 pouches of lead equaling 25 pounds.

(This post was edited by SRI85 on Sep 6, 2012, 7:23 PM)
Attachments: photo.JPG (118 KB)

Forums : Skydiving Disciplines : Swooping and Canopy Control

Search for (options)