Forums: Skydiving: Gear and Rigging:
White Helmet

dmcculloch  (D 5380)

Aug 20, 2012, 2:51 PM
Post #1 of 9 (904 views)
Shortcut
White Helmet Can't Post

Hey guys.

Im thinking of updating my Benny when my next bonus comes in and was looking at the Tonfly 3x. Looking at the colour schemes the one that really stands out is the white one.

So was wondering if anyone who has a white helmet could let me know if they get dirty way faster than darker helmets and loose there appeal. Would you go for a white helmet again after owning one. My jumpsuit has a fair bit of white and that get dirty even without bitting the dust.

Cheers

dthames  (B 37674)

Aug 20, 2012, 3:03 PM
Post #2 of 9 (891 views)
Shortcut
Re: [dmcculloch] White Helmet [In reply to] Can't Post

I have a white Benny. I selected white, thinking it might be cooler. I have no issues with it being dirty, but I don't land on my head either.

It is easy to see white, against the green/brown background.

airtwardo  (D License)

Aug 20, 2012, 3:05 PM
Post #3 of 9 (890 views)
Shortcut

White helmets are all I've worn for 37 years in the sport, keep it clean and waxed...white-out fixes the scratches! Wink

dmcculloch  (D 5380)

Aug 22, 2012, 3:22 AM
Post #4 of 9 (712 views)
Shortcut

Thanks guys. The idea of a white helmet seems to have the same issues as with a white jumpsuit.

By waxed, is there a certain polish/wax you can get for them.?

Now just gotta wait for the bonus :) or my car sale. lol

airtwardo  (D License)

Aug 22, 2012, 6:06 PM
Post #5 of 9 (620 views)
Shortcut

In reply to:
Thanks guys. The idea of a white helmet seems to have the same issues as with a white jumpsuit.

By waxed, is there a certain polish/wax you can get for them.?

Now just gotta wait for the bonus :) or my car sale. lol

Yeah I use Turtle Wax...'cause it makes me fall slower. Angelic

And RainX on my sunglasses so I don't need to wipe 'em off when swooping the pond. Cool

JohnRich  (D License)

Aug 22, 2012, 6:52 PM
Post #6 of 9 (606 views)
Shortcut

That's just asking for trouble. Have you ever seen one of those novelty radiometers?
Link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crookes_radiometer

When solar particles hit that white helmet they'll be reflected off the surface, and then Newton's third law of motion comes into play, which says that for every action there is an equal and opposite reaction. So all those solar particles bouncing off your white helmet will send you into an out of control spin. The only way to stop it will be to pop off your helmet to save yourself. Even worse, if you get into a formation with someone who has a black helmet, then his helmet will absorb the solar particles, while yours is reflecting them. And then you'll spin even faster, just like that radiometer.

Have you ever wondered why Twardowski is always spinning towards the ground under canopy making spirals with smoke? It's that damned white helmet of his.

I wouldn't advise it...

(This post was edited by JohnRich on Aug 22, 2012, 6:54 PM)

airtwardo  (D License)

Aug 22, 2012, 7:29 PM
Post #7 of 9 (594 views)
Shortcut
Re: [JohnRich] White Helmet [In reply to] Can't Post

In reply to:
That's just asking for trouble. Have you ever seen one of those novelty radiometers?
Link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crookes_radiometer

When solar particles hit that white helmet they'll be reflected off the surface, and then Newton's third law of motion comes into play, which says that for every action there is an equal and opposite reaction. So all those solar particles bouncing off your white helmet will send you into an out of control spin. The only way to stop it will be to pop off your helmet to save yourself. Even worse, if you get into a formation with someone who has a black helmet, then his helmet will absorb the solar particles, while yours is reflecting them. And then you'll spin even faster, just like that radiometer.

Have you ever wondered why Twardowski is always spinning towards the ground under canopy making spirals with smoke? It's that damned white helmet of his.

I wouldn't advise it...

LaughLaughLaugh

Hey...the GOOD GUYS always wear white hats in the cowboy movies! BlushAngelic

TitaniumLegs  (D 19246)

Aug 22, 2012, 10:11 PM
Post #8 of 9 (573 views)
Shortcut
Re: [JohnRich] White Helmet [In reply to] Can't Post

Easy solution: Cover both helmets with tinfoil. Keeps the government mind control off your back at least for the skydive.

airtwardo  (D License)

Aug 22, 2012, 10:26 PM
Post #9 of 9 (569 views)
Shortcut
Re: [TitaniumLegs] White Helmet [In reply to] Can't Post

In reply to:
Easy solution: Cover both helmets with tinfoil. Keeps the government mind control off your back at least for the skydive.

Yeah and throw a little sour cream & bacon bits in your mouth so when yer baking your head like a potato, the zombies will get a special taste treat when you land!

Forums : Skydiving : Gear and Rigging

Search for (options)