Forums: Skydiving: Safety and Training:
I'm stupid, but YOU can learn from it.

Maxx  (D 9594)

Aug 6, 2012, 1:47 PM
Post #1 of 18 (2748 views)
Shortcut
I'm stupid, but YOU can learn from it. Can't Post

On my last skydiving trip I did a stupid thing, which could have led to a serious problem..
I am sharing this, so maybe someone can learn from this and prevent this from happening.
http://www.youtube.com/...q49x5bxOKLY&hd=1

If you have a problem with your main canopy, try to fix it first, before you think about other things, like stowing your slider Tongue

I reviewed this video and found a lot iof mistakes from my side. Let's see how many you can find Wink

I learned a lot from DZ.com, so I just wanted to add this to the knowledge base.

Nothing happened, except an outlanding because of that..

(This post was edited by Maxx on Aug 6, 2012, 1:48 PM)

JohnRich  (D License)

Aug 6, 2012, 3:39 PM
Post #2 of 18 (2620 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Maxx] I'm stupid, but YOU can learn from it. [In reply to] Can't Post

Oh boy, an arm-chair critic opportunity. People in this forum LOVE this stuff.

Where the heck did your slider go? I saw grommets, and it didn't look like a removable slider...

Do you have a third riser for your brake line?

(This post was edited by JohnRich on Aug 6, 2012, 3:41 PM)

Premier billvon  (D 16479)
Aug 6, 2012, 4:46 PM
Post #3 of 18 (2555 views)
Shortcut

My 2 cents -

I'd stow that excess brake line! Loose brake line has a habit of looping around toggles, kill lines, other risers etc.

theonlyski  (D License)

Aug 6, 2012, 7:32 PM
Post #4 of 18 (2450 views)
Shortcut
Re: [billvon] I'm stupid, but YOU can learn from it. [In reply to] Can't Post

In reply to:
My 2 cents -

I'd stow that excess brake line! Loose brake line has a habit of looping around toggles, kill lines, other risers etc.

I'd also suggest SETTING both brakes. Tongue

mjosparky  (D 5476)

Aug 7, 2012, 1:21 AM
Post #5 of 18 (2299 views)
Shortcut
Re: [theonlyski] I'm stupid, but YOU can learn from it. [In reply to] Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
My 2 cents -

I think he cleaned it off with his hand during deployment.

Sparky

Maxx  (D 9594)

Aug 7, 2012, 2:23 AM
Post #6 of 18 (2281 views)
Shortcut
Re: [JohnRich] I'm stupid, but YOU can learn from it. [In reply to] Can't Post

In reply to:
Oh boy, an arm-chair critic opportunity. People in this forum LOVE this stuff.

I know Wink
In reply to:
Where the heck did your slider go? I saw grommets, and it didn't look like a removable slider...

I pulled it behind my head. Not good in this situation..

In reply to:
Do you have a third riser for your brake line?

Yes, it's called triple riser, a relict from the past.. I don't know if many people still use this.

Maxx  (D 9594)

Aug 7, 2012, 2:32 AM
Post #7 of 18 (2277 views)
Shortcut

In reply to:
My 2 cents -

I usually do this, but in this case it somehow came loose or I pulled it out while (unnecessarily) grabbing the risers.. I am extra cautious now while stowing the excess.

Maxx  (D 9594)

Aug 7, 2012, 2:37 AM
Post #8 of 18 (2275 views)
Shortcut
Re: [theonlyski] I'm stupid, but YOU can learn from it. [In reply to] Can't Post

In reply to:

Good point! Tongue
Took us a while to figure that out.. At first we thought it was a brake fire. Nope. The brake was never set. Why? Most probably a packing error from my side..

potatoman  (Student)

Aug 7, 2012, 4:17 AM
Post #9 of 18 (2235 views)
Shortcut

1. seems left brake was not stowed.
2. Steering the canopy while doing the slider, not good.
3. The grip of the right toggle, seems like your hand went through the access brake line....too quick on the draw.
lastly, a lot of people do not advise gripping the risers while still inflating. I have heard of hands getting stuck in line twists, altis lost etc. If your hands get stuck, you are ....

Anyhow, my stupid thing for the last weekend....
I jumped a cessna, with the little handles at the door, and held on to that. Broke my left hand ring finger as I exitted, my finger got stuck in the little V part of the handle. 6weeks lesson.

Maxx  (D 9594)

Aug 7, 2012, 4:40 AM
Post #10 of 18 (2216 views)
Shortcut
Re: [potatoman] I'm stupid, but YOU can learn from it. [In reply to] Can't Post

In reply to:
I jumped a cessna, with the little handles at the door, and held on to that. Broke my left hand ring finger as I exitted, my finger got stuck in the little V part of the handle. 6weeks lesson.

OUCH! Pirate

Another thing I noticed in my video.. When your left brake isn't set, your canopy will most likely spin to the left on opening, while when it's flying it will slowly turn right. Weird, but logical when you think about it..

mchamp  (D 32129)

Aug 7, 2012, 4:41 AM
Post #11 of 18 (2215 views)
Shortcut

What DZ is that and what country?! Amazing scenery.

theonlyski  (D License)

Aug 7, 2012, 5:17 AM
Post #12 of 18 (2187 views)
Shortcut

In reply to:
Another thing I noticed in my video.. When your left brake isn't set, your canopy will most likely spin to the left on opening, while when it's flying it will slowly turn right. Weird, but logical when you think about it..

Wanna explain to the class why that is? (I know, just rather you tell itWink)

Maxx  (D 9594)

Aug 7, 2012, 6:27 AM
Post #13 of 18 (2131 views)
Shortcut
Re: [mchamp] I'm stupid, but YOU can learn from it. [In reply to] Can't Post

In reply to:
What DZ is that and what country?! Amazing scenery.

Yes, it's truly amazing there! One of the most beautiful places in Germany. It's over the Island Sylt, in the very north, near Denmark.

potatoman  (Student)

Aug 8, 2012, 2:11 AM
Post #14 of 18 (1908 views)
Shortcut

Please spill the beans.....I don't know why it would spin in the opposite direction.

fcajump  (D 15598)

Aug 8, 2012, 6:55 AM
Post #15 of 18 (1854 views)
Shortcut
Re: [potatoman] I'm stupid, but YOU can learn from it. [In reply to] Can't Post

In reply to:

Owww... but you might have gotten off easy... buddy of mine jumped with a guy that did that while wearing his ring... left the ring, finger and all controlling tendons with the plane. Convinced me to leave the ring on the ground and watch my hands as well as my handles.

JW

potatoman  (Student)

Aug 8, 2012, 7:07 AM
Post #16 of 18 (1845 views)
Shortcut
Re: [fcajump] I'm stupid, but YOU can learn from it. [In reply to] Can't Post

Lucky me then. I know of two cases, where a thumb and a finger got lost on a snag point at the door.

Don't stick your finger where it will not come out...hahaha

elias123  (D 108)

Aug 8, 2012, 9:19 AM
Post #17 of 18 (1808 views)
Shortcut

In reply to:

I've asked this to one of my former teammates on numerous occasions over the years. He has risers that don't have tuck tabs to stow away excess brake line. I've read about several incidents on this issue (some of them fatal) here on dizzy, and I keep telling him this. Despite my well-meant advice and despite the fact that tuck tabs are something that his rigger (Also my rigger) will gladly install for free, he still hasn't/refuses to install them.

Nightingale  (B 26984)

Aug 8, 2012, 3:10 PM
Post #18 of 18 (1671 views)
Shortcut
Re: [elias123] I'm stupid, but YOU can learn from it. [In reply to] Can't Post

I had a loop of brakeline come loose once (toggle remained stowed) and somehow managed to reach through the loop of brake line to release the brake. I pulled the brake through the loop and tied a knot around the riser! Put my canopy in an instant spin.

I pulled down on the other toggle to level things out and managed to get the knot untied with 100 feet left til my hard deck. Otherwise, I'd have chopped it, because while I could kind of steer it, I couldn't flare it evenly for landing, so I wouldn't have, at under 30 jumps, called it a landable canopy.

Forums : Skydiving : Safety and Training

Search for (options)