Forums: Skydiving: Gear and Rigging:
I can't find a list of canopies and their pack volumes, do you guys think you could help me out?

jzzsxm  (A License)

Jul 27, 2012, 5:11 PM
Post #1 of 15 (1067 views)
Shortcut
I can't find a list of canopies and their pack volumes, do you guys think you could help me out? Can't Post

I grabbed a Wings stock rig for 40% off (W14, they say it fits a PD 190 but I've heard Wings pack a bit tight) and am about to start looking for used (so hopefully they pack a little smaller) canopies.

I know different varieties of canopies pack smaller or larger even if they have the same square footage but an aggregated summary of which packs bigger/smaller than which doesn't seem to exist.

Any insight? Anybody with a W14 that has direct experience with this? Anything in your experience is helpful, I'm reading everything I can to get a better sense of things.

Thanks guys!!!

Premier likestojump  (D License)

Jul 27, 2012, 5:29 PM
Post #2 of 15 (1049 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jzzsxm] I can't find a list of canopies and their pack volumes, do you guys think you could help me out? [In reply to] Can't Post

in my experience (four different W14's). A 190ZP would be rather tight, but not impossible. A 190 hybrid (Silhouette, Pulse) or F111 would be very nice.

I would recommend (in this order) :

Hybrid 190 (like a Silhouette or Pulse)
a 7 cell 190 (like a Spectre or Triathlon)
a well used 190 9 cell ZP
I would definitely stay away from dacron lined 190 canopies (Strictly due to the pack volume. Dacron lines in themselves are nice)

jzzsxm  (A License)

Jul 27, 2012, 5:42 PM
Post #3 of 15 (1047 views)
Shortcut
Re: [likestojump] I can't find a list of canopies and their pack volumes, do you guys think you could help me out? [In reply to] Can't Post

Awesome! That's super useful, thanks a ton

SkyPiggie  (D License)

Jul 27, 2012, 6:36 PM
Post #4 of 15 (1018 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jzzsxm] I can't find a list of canopies and their pack volumes, do you guys think you could help me out? [In reply to] Can't Post

In reply to:
I know different varieties of canopies pack smaller or larger even if they have the same square footage but an aggregated summary of which packs bigger/smaller than which doesn't seem to exist.

Check the back of a Para-Gear catalog where exactly such a chart exists.

jzzsxm  (A License)

Jul 27, 2012, 7:02 PM
Post #5 of 15 (1007 views)
Shortcut
Re: [SkyPiggie] I can't find a list of canopies and their pack volumes, do you guys think you could help me out? [In reply to] Can't Post

Not seeing it in the back of the 2012-2013 one, is it hiding elsewhere?

theonlyski  (D License)

Jul 27, 2012, 7:44 PM
Post #6 of 15 (999 views)
Shortcut

In reply to:

*looks at the 12-13 catalog*

Hmm, sumbitch, sure isn't there!

This should help:
http://www.paragear.com/...ecs/canopysizing.PDF

jzzsxm  (A License)

Jul 27, 2012, 7:54 PM
Post #7 of 15 (995 views)
Shortcut
Re: [theonlyski] I can't find a list of canopies and their pack volumes, do you guys think you could help me out? [In reply to] Can't Post

WOW!

Alright, call off the dogs, this is exactly what I was looking for (at least upon a cursory glance it is).

The wings-specific info was also very very much appreciated.

Thanks everyone!

Freeflaw  (C License)

Jul 27, 2012, 8:47 PM
Post #8 of 15 (980 views)
Shortcut

i stuffed anything from a 266 FOX to a 150 Storm into my 190 Sabre2 fitted Wings. That's the beauty of a closing loop that is anchored to the reserve tray. But I would advise against doing what I did.

strife

Jul 27, 2012, 8:59 PM
Post #9 of 15 (975 views)
Shortcut

I got this from aerodyne on the pilot zpx as an fyi

Pilot 188= 393cu.in
Pilot 168= 379cu.in

parachutist  (D 25468)

Jul 27, 2012, 9:06 PM
Post #10 of 15 (971 views)
Shortcut

Here's some good info about canopy volumes from Rigging Innovations/PIA:
http://www.rigginginnovations.com/...0Canopy%20Volume.pdf

Chris

JohnRich  (D License)

Jul 28, 2012, 7:18 AM
Post #11 of 15 (919 views)
Shortcut

In reply to:

Page 259 of the 10-11 catalog.

theonlyski  (D License)

Jul 28, 2012, 3:53 PM
Post #12 of 15 (881 views)
Shortcut
Re: [JohnRich] I can't find a list of canopies and their pack volumes, do you guys think you could help me out? [In reply to] Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

Page 259 of the 10-11 catalog.

Doesn't really help if he doesn't have a 2 year old catalog. Tongue

hokierower  (B 36150)

Jul 29, 2012, 5:30 PM
Post #13 of 15 (821 views)
Shortcut
Re: [theonlyski] I can't find a list of canopies and their pack volumes, do you guys think you could help me out? [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm a little late to this but I have a Wings W14. I've had 3 canopies in it:

Spectre 190 - Very Tight Fit
Spectre 170 - Snug Fit
Sabre2 150 - Fits Well

jurgencamps  (D License)

Jul 30, 2012, 3:35 AM
Post #14 of 15 (784 views)
Shortcut

http://www.pia.com/...-104CanopyVolume.pdf

gowlerk  (C 3196)

Jul 30, 2012, 7:37 AM
Post #15 of 15 (765 views)
Shortcut

I have assembled two W14s this year. Both with pdr176 and new Sabre 2 190s. The manufacturer recommends this combo, but I found that the 190 was a tighter fit than I would recommend. Not for safety reasons, it's just that this setup is usually for new jumpers with limited packing experience. This is a hard way to learn. Of course on the other hand it makes moving down one size an easy move.

We have a few people with this combo here, and all of them are pretty happy with it.

Ken

Forums : Skydiving : Gear and Rigging

Search for (options)