Forums: Skydiving: Gear and Rigging:
Noob Question

shibu  (B 37474)

Jul 22, 2012, 6:33 AM
Post #1 of 10 (1146 views)
Shortcut
Noob Question Can't Post

On my first tandem, the camera man had a plate on his helmet with a 35mm (film camera) on one side and a large camcorder on the other (I think it took full sized VHS tapes).

Cameras have gotten alot smaller since then.

Why is it that the cameras aren't mounted inside the helmets (like audibles)? It seems like the large mounting surface on some of the flat top camera helmets would offer enough room to put a small camera inside of it.

Just seems like it would be safer to have everything exposed as little as possible.

BIGUN  (D 23385)

Jul 22, 2012, 7:11 AM
Post #2 of 10 (1123 views)
Shortcut
Re: [shibu] Noob Question [In reply to] Can't Post

If you mean like the NVertigo-X and the MXV (below it)... Then, yes, there are several side-mount helmets to choose from. There are those who (as in your case) have been vidiots for a verrrrrry long time and what they have works for them AND there is no reason to buy new at this time. Given that a camera rig, helmet, etc. can be north of a grand.. That's a lot of ramen noodles for the poor bloke who makes a living at doing video.

shibu  (B 37474)

Jul 22, 2012, 7:34 AM
Post #3 of 10 (1113 views)
Shortcut
Re: [BIGUN] Noob Question [In reply to] Can't Post

Point taken re the cash. Although it is not cheap for students, I have always felt instructors & camera men are underpaid for what they do.

But what I meant was why can't you take a helmet like the Camera Pro (from Exit Composites) http://www.square1.com/.../p443.asp#NVertigo-X
and mount a small camera INSIDE the helmet so it is fully enclosed.

Just a note, my cam man was not a v idiot... it is just that my 1st tandem was in ~1992.

councilman24  (D 8631)

Jul 22, 2012, 8:20 AM
Post #4 of 10 (1093 views)
Shortcut

You mean like this? http://www.actionhelmetcameras.com/.../ff3-freefly-helmet/

Old idea.

Lots of camera jumpers change cameras more often helmets. The various external mount systems offer much more versatility.

The first inside the helmet camera helmet was in the 90's.Wink

Premier Remster  (C License)

Jul 22, 2012, 9:41 AM
Post #5 of 10 (1071 views)
Shortcut

Most pro (and amateurs) videots jump digital cameras now that record the video on an a solida state drive. The high quality cameras are still too large to fit inside normal helmets: you'd still have a side or top box sticking out. There are lens that can be plugged into a input port of camera, but these lens capture analog video (unless there's a new one out there)

riggerrob  (D 14840)

Jul 22, 2012, 1:15 PM
Post #6 of 10 (1008 views)
Shortcut

Agreed!
Ever since Robin Sutherland died from a snagged camera late 1980s) I have only jumped with enclosed cameras.
Currently I jump a Sidewinder that 90 percent encloses my Sony video camera.
As to why more cameramen don't enclose their cameras ... basically, we do not kill enogh to keep the risk in the news, so that younger cameramen believe that line snags are not a risk. The primary change over the years has been the trend towards smaller cameras, which present SMALLER snag points.

shibu  (B 37474)

Jul 24, 2012, 6:32 AM
Post #7 of 10 (852 views)
Shortcut
Re: [councilman24] Noob Question [In reply to] Can't Post

In reply to:
http://www.actionhelmetcameras.com/.../ff3-freefly-helmet/

Old idea.

Lots of camera jumpers change cameras more often helmets. Wink

That explains it. Thanks.

shibu  (B 37474)

Jul 24, 2012, 6:34 AM
Post #8 of 10 (851 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Remster] Noob Question [In reply to] Can't Post

In reply to:
Most pro (and amateurs) videots jump digital cameras now that record the video on an a solida state drive. The high quality cameras are still too large to fit inside normal helmets: you'd still have a side or top box sticking out. There are lens that can be plugged into a input port of camera, but these lens capture analog video (unless there's a new one out there)

I knew the quality of those cameras were lower but I didn't realized they were analog.
I guess as technology changes, we will start to see tiny HD cameras that can fit into a helmet.

(This post was edited by shibu on Jul 24, 2012, 6:35 AM)

Premier Remster  (C License)

Jul 24, 2012, 7:41 AM
Post #9 of 10 (821 views)
Shortcut

In reply to:
In reply to:

I knew the quality of those cameras were lower but I didn't realized they were analog.
I guess as technology changes, we will start to see tiny HD cameras that can fit into a helmet.

HD is not the only thing that matters.

theonlyski  (D License)

Jul 24, 2012, 8:06 AM
Post #10 of 10 (808 views)
Shortcut

It wouldn't be unreasonable to figure out how to carve space for some go-pro HD cameras inside something like maybe a FTP, I just don't see it happening.

The quality wouldn't be the same as the CX and DSLR, though the go-pro's are getting pretty good these days, I still don't see myself replacing my gear for them.

(This post was edited by theonlyski on Jul 24, 2012, 8:09 AM)

Forums : Skydiving : Gear and Rigging

Search for (options)