Whats missing in these photos? Angelic
Attachments: 1.jpg (69.5 KB)
  2.jpg (61.1 KB)

Premier PhreeZone  (D License)
Jul 21, 2012, 7:23 AM
Post #2 of 100 (5898 views)
Shortcut
Re: [f1freak] Whats missing? [In reply to] Can't Post

Looks like someone is counting on his main opening with out issue...

Divalent  (C 40494)

Jul 21, 2012, 7:26 AM
Post #3 of 100 (5895 views)
Shortcut

I don't know, but is that guy behind him in the plane holding a machine gun? Shocked

Premier DSE  (D 29060)

Jul 21, 2012, 7:51 AM
Post #4 of 100 (5877 views)
Shortcut
Re: [PhreeZone] Whats missing? [In reply to] Can't Post

There are some DZ's that allow jumpers to have non-accessible reserve and cutaway handles. Unzip the zipper and reach in there.
As one DZO commented "It's less of a challenge than flipping open a pair of Capewells."

matthewcline  (D 21585)

Jul 21, 2012, 8:37 AM
Post #5 of 100 (5853 views)
Shortcut
Re: [DSE] Whats missing? [In reply to] Can't Post

In reply to:
There are some DZ's that allow jumpers to have non-accessible reserve and cutaway handles. Unzip the zipper and reach in there.
As one DZO commented "It's less of a challenge than flipping open a pair of Capewells."

Seems a bit risky, since we have seen some pretty high speed mals that made it difficult to reach handles.

Matt

Premier skybytch  (D License)

Jul 21, 2012, 8:46 AM
Post #6 of 100 (5849 views)
Shortcut
Re: [matthewcline] Whats missing? [In reply to] Can't Post

In reply to:
Seems a bit risky, since we have seen some pretty high speed mals that made it difficult to reach handles.

Mad skillz.

tsisson  (D 19283)

Jul 21, 2012, 8:59 AM
Post #7 of 100 (5843 views)
Shortcut
Re: [skybytch] Whats missing? [In reply to] Can't Post

Style points folks...it's all about style points. Safety third...

ixlr82  (C 33491)

Jul 21, 2012, 9:52 AM
Post #8 of 100 (5815 views)
Shortcut

Well, I wouldn't do it, but then, I'm not Jeb Corliss.

nickfrey

Jul 21, 2012, 10:05 AM
Post #9 of 100 (5811 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Divalent] Whats missing? [In reply to] Can't Post

In reply to:
I don't know, but is that guy behind him in the plane holding a machine gun? Shocked

Looks like a radio to me...

mjosparky  (D 5476)

Jul 21, 2012, 12:42 PM
Post #10 of 100 (5767 views)
Shortcut

In reply to:

Not the sharpest tool in the box.

Sparky

5.samadhi

Jul 21, 2012, 2:46 PM
Post #11 of 100 (5730 views)
Shortcut
Re: [mjosparky] Whats missing? [In reply to] Can't Post

I would want to test out pretty much the exact setup I was going to fly if I were going to be kicking balloons in y wingsuit Shocked

Premier Remster  (C License)

Jul 21, 2012, 5:53 PM
Post #12 of 100 (5668 views)
Shortcut

In reply to:
In reply to:

Mad skillz.

U just jealous.

3mpire  (C 39657)

Jul 22, 2012, 12:32 AM
Post #13 of 100 (5597 views)
Shortcut

i'm pretty sure he's missing a few gopros. I couldn't see any in the first shot and only one in the second.

he has so much real-estate to work with there, especially since he doesn't have handles visible so there's even MORE room for gopros.

tsisson  (D 19283)

Jul 22, 2012, 5:25 AM
Post #14 of 100 (5541 views)
Shortcut
Re: [3mpire] Whats missing? [In reply to] Can't Post

"There's something on the wing!"

Complacency is our gremlin...

chuckakers  (D 10855)

Jul 22, 2012, 8:13 AM
Post #15 of 100 (5479 views)
Shortcut

In reply to:

That's one of the stupidest things I've ever heard (and it apparently never occurred to that DZO that there's a reason we don't jump capewells any more).

It may be easy to unzip a jumpsuit under routine conditions, but it may be very difficult or even impossible under a malfunction that might be flinging the jumper around like a rag doll or one that is spinning so rapidly that it's tough to even reach up with an arm.

Beyond that, cutaway and reserve handles are EMERGENCY handles. The vast majority of the time, they are needed at the worst possible moment - the bottom of the skydive when the jumper is under the greatest amount of stress and has the least amount of time to take action.

It makes ZERO sense to intentionally create a condition under which those handles are more difficult or time-consuming to use.

5.samadhi

Jul 22, 2012, 1:05 PM
Post #16 of 100 (5417 views)
Shortcut
Re: [chuckakers] Whats missing? [In reply to] Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

That's one of the stupidest things I've ever heard (and it apparently never occurred to that DZO that there's a reason we don't jump capewells any more).

It may be easy to unzip a jumpsuit under routine conditions, but it may be very difficult or even impossible under a malfunction that might be flinging the jumper around like a rag doll or one that is spinning so rapidly that it's tough to even reach up with an arm.

Beyond that, cutaway and reserve handles are EMERGENCY handles. The vast majority of the time, they are needed at the worst possible moment - the bottom of the skydive when the jumper is under the greatest amount of stress and has the least amount of time to take action.

It makes ZERO sense to intentionally create a condition under which those handles are more difficult or time-consuming to use.
well in this particular case the wingsuit will probably only be jumped by the pilot testing it out before it is brought into a base environment...the 'lifespan' of the suit will be shortlived as a skydiving suit (there are MUCH better options for flocking than apache haha!).

i suppose there's something to be said for not hacking up your suit to have easy access to handles if it will never be flown out of a plane again after that month?

Premier NWFlyer  (D License)

Jul 22, 2012, 2:40 PM
Post #17 of 100 (5374 views)
Shortcut
Re: [5.samadhi] Whats missing? [In reply to] Can't Post

In reply to:
well in this particular case the wingsuit will probably only be jumped by the pilot testing it out before it is brought into a base environment...the 'lifespan' of the suit will be shortlived as a skydiving suit (there are MUCH better options for flocking than apache haha!).

i suppose there's something to be said for not hacking up your suit to have easy access to handles if it will never be flown out of a plane again after that month?

Your logic sounds remarkably like that of the teenagers who think they can't possibly get pregnant because they only had sex one time. Unimpressed

5.samadhi

Jul 22, 2012, 4:08 PM
Post #18 of 100 (5344 views)
Shortcut
Re: [NWFlyer] Whats missing? [In reply to] Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

Your logic sounds remarkably like that of the teenagers who think they can't possibly get pregnant because they only had sex one time. Unimpressed
Its pretty accepted in risk theory that exposure time to risk is a relevant factor to consider when making decisions.

Would you, using your example, say a teenager that engages in sexual intercourse one time carries as much risk as a teenager that engages in sexual intercourse ten times?

Of course you can go in without being able to get your handle in time on the FIRST JUMP you do with the reserve under your zipper. But pointing that out is just being pedantic Unimpressed

(This post was edited by 5.samadhi on Jul 22, 2012, 4:12 PM)

moggybean  (C License)

Jul 22, 2012, 6:05 PM
Post #19 of 100 (5294 views)
Shortcut

So to paraphrase you in another thread:

"Why would you want your hobby to be a ticking time bomb (sooner or later kind of thing)."

Are you going to heed your own advise or not. It makes absolutely no sense on any jump. Fine it is one of the names in the sport, but what kind of example is that setting to those who are up and coming?

5.samadhi

Jul 22, 2012, 7:02 PM
Post #20 of 100 (5264 views)
Shortcut
Re: [moggybean] Whats missing? [In reply to] Can't Post

In reply to:

"Why would you want your hobby to be a ticking time bomb (sooner or later kind of thing)."

Are you going to heed your own advise or not. It makes absolutely no sense on any jump. Fine it is one of the names in the sport, but what kind of example is that setting to those who are up and coming?
whatcha talkin bout willis???

I am just disagreeing with NWflyer and pointing out her lack of reasonable thinking because it is so fun to disagree with somebody who will no matter what you say disagree with you.

theonlyski  (D License)

Jul 22, 2012, 7:48 PM
Post #21 of 100 (5249 views)
Shortcut

In reply to:
I am just disagreeing with NWflyer and pointing out her lack of reasonable thinking because it is so fun to disagree with somebody who will no matter what you say disagree with you.

nu uh!

As for your argument, it only takes once for that main to not open properly and it could very likely be a death sentence.

(This post was edited by theonlyski on Jul 22, 2012, 8:05 PM)

sundevil777  (D License)

Jul 22, 2012, 8:00 PM
Post #22 of 100 (5239 views)
Shortcut

It is sorta funny that the Tony website says that the Apache is to be a base wingsuit only, they don't recommend modifications to allow access to a normal rig's handles, but their website shows pics of it with a Mirage skydiving rig.

http://www.tonywingsuits.com/apache.html

Premier NWFlyer  (D License)

Jul 22, 2012, 8:15 PM
Post #23 of 100 (5226 views)
Shortcut

In reply to:
In reply to:

whatcha talkin bout willis???

Not sure I'd call a different approach to "risk analysis" a lack of reasonable thinking. Could just be that I don't have mad skillz and prefer to treat every skydive as the one that might kill or maim me.

Premier DSE  (D 29060)

Jul 22, 2012, 8:21 PM
Post #24 of 100 (5218 views)
Shortcut
Re: [chuckakers] Whats missing? [In reply to] Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

https://vimeo.com/38615978

chuckakers  (D 10855)

Jul 23, 2012, 3:03 AM
Post #25 of 100 (5150 views)
Shortcut

In reply to:
In reply to:
In reply to:

https://vimeo.com/38615978

And?

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Skydiving : Safety and Training

Search for (options)