Forums: Skydiving Disciplines: Photography and Video:
Huge fan of Swoopware's TandemVids

airbigdaddy  (D 21277)

Jul 19, 2012, 5:12 AM
Post #1 of 16 (4640 views)
Shortcut
Huge fan of Swoopware's TandemVids Can't Post

I'm kicking myself for just now getting around to this.

I wanted to share my outstanding experience with Swoopware's TandemVids software. I've been using it for my tandem videos for about a year now (so, I've probably edited about 600 tandem videos with it), and I couldn't be happier. I mostly burn standard DVDs and pics (on the same disk, which saves money by only using one disk per customer), but I burn a good number of AVCHD (high-def videos) for tandem students I know, as well as experienced jumpers whom I film on fun jumps and AFF students in our program that I shoot inside video of.

The software is very reasonably priced, not too hard to set up (though it does take a bit of time to fine-tune it exactly the way you want to put out videos that are truly yours and not just run-of-the-mill), and once you DO have it perfectly ready, it takes no time at all to spit out quality videos, without having to babysit the computer. I'd guess I spend roughly two to four minutes actually at my computer per video (two minutes when I'm in a hurry, and spending the extra time adding additional slow-mode sections that aren't already built into my templates when I'm not slammed for time), plus a couple extra minutes when pictures are part of what the customer buys (not a necessary step since the software auto-grabs the pics, but I like to delete any shots that aren't great).

Then, after that, I leave my video room to do other things, and about five minutes later, everything is completely done. (Other guys at our DZ have faster render and burn times, but that's how long my system takes.) So, from start time to stop, it's between seven and nine minutes total for just video, and between nine and 11 minutes for video and stills. (Like I said, I could just have it burn ALL the pics I take and save myself a couple minutes per edit, but I hate sending students home with any test shots in the plane or any others I take that aren't high quality.) As computers get faster and cheaper, getting REALLY fast render and burn times gets more and more accessible, even on a budget. I don't pack for myself, and though it's a tad tight, I can do a back-to-back, edit two videos and pics for two different customers, interview my next two customers, and be on my way, all in 20 minutes if I have to.

The software will auto-upload students' videos to YouTube if you like (and you can even have it use different, royalty-free music compared to what you give the student to take home, and it then auto-generates an e-mail with the YouTube link to send to the customer.

Of our eight vidiots who typically work here, six of us are using it, and I've yet to hear anyone say he or she isn't completely happy with it. Our plan is to require ALL of our video staff to be able to upload to YouTube and/or offer AVCHD/Blu-ray by the beginning of next season, and while this software isn't the ONLY way to do so, it certainly seems like the perfect fit.

I have no idea if the Mods will pull this since my post looks like I'm trying to run a free ad for this software, but I wish another videographer had told me how great it was a while back since it makes my life so much easier and puts out a much more professional-looking product than when I was doing linear edits before.

Edited to add: I've had AMAZING customer support/tech help from the guy who created the software. Very responsive and helpful, and not at all annoyed by stupid-ass questions.

(This post was edited by airbigdaddy on Jul 19, 2012, 5:15 AM)

tsalnukt

Jul 22, 2012, 10:01 AM
Post #9 of 16 (4158 views)
Shortcut
Re: [airbigdaddy] Huge fan of Swoopware's TandemVids [In reply to] Can't Post

+1

The software is awesome. This is the second season that we have been using it and we (8 full-time video girls and guys) have been singing it's praises since. Like the OP said, it's fast. 2-3 minutes at the computer pack really fast and the video is ready to be handed to the customer within a 15 minute call. We have gotten a huge response with the youtube uploads as well. In my opinion it is awesome awesome awesome. And you can make the videos as "customized" as you want so that you as a videographer can give it those little touches that make it your video and not just a cookie cutter video.

You can see some of the videos on youtube.com/skydivenewenglandvid

jumpwally  (D License)

Aug 1, 2012, 8:08 AM
Post #11 of 16 (3858 views)
Shortcut

Throw up a sample video,,,we all like that stuff....Cool

tsalnukt

Aug 3, 2012, 6:15 AM
Post #12 of 16 (3772 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jumpwally] Huge fan of Swoopware's TandemVids [In reply to] Can't Post

If you go to http://www.youtube.com/skydivenewenglandvid you can find a plethora of videos made with swoopware. That is our DZ's youtube channel and most all the stuff there are swoopware vids.

Not sure if this was mentioned before......not only does the swoopware upload the video to youtube, it automaticlly sends an email with a link to their video on youtube. Really cool stuff

Rover  (D 241)

Oct 4, 2013, 10:18 PM
Post #13 of 16 (3111 views)
Shortcut
Re: [tsalnukt] Huge fan of Swoopware's TandemVids [In reply to] Can't Post

Bump - I'm looking and learning. Any more comments?

Jacked  (D 31319)

Oct 17, 2013, 12:17 AM
Post #14 of 16 (2471 views)
Shortcut

About 3 years ago I asked Mic if tandemvids could reproduce the outside video we were shooting at our DZ and at first it looked like the picture placement had Mic stumped because we place pictures of the skydive in the video and the software could not do that effectively, then he placed a tick box to open up a separate Vegas window for dragging those pics into the place holders. He solved that problem and I had not even bought the software yet... Needless to say I bought it and now I use it all the time but not in the manor most do for speed. It still takes me 30 solid minutes to complete a video but I do that when I have time of if its for a special subject. We have an editor at our DZ that gets most of what we shoot. I've talked till I'm blue in the face about it and they still do shit the old way (these are kids too)
I highly recommend the software, Mic is a skydiver/instructor/BASE jumper and software designer that will bend over backwards to make sure your satisfied. I have much respect for him, and tandemvides...

Rover  (D 241)

Dec 5, 2013, 10:38 AM
Post #15 of 16 (1679 views)
Shortcut

I've just started using Tandem Vids and couldn't be happier - time from starting to process footage til punter is watching product is about 3 minutes. Render / burn time 10 minutes.
Any time I've had an issue the answer has been just an email away. Stacked with features I'm yet to explore.
Cheers Mick - you will make my summer easy & hopefully profitable. Wink

Rover  (D 241)

Aug 20, 2014, 12:19 AM
Post #16 of 16 (268 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Rover] Huge fan of Swoopware's TandemVids [In reply to] Can't Post

Sorry for bumping my own post but - I had an issue which was effectively an id10t problem (self induced). I emailed Mick on Monday morning (he was having a coffee out in the back and beyond) & said that he would get to me when he got back home. By last night (Tuesday evening) he had trouble shot the problem and issued an updated version of Tandem Vids which works a dream - so that idiots like me can keep on keeping on.
Onya bro! SmileWinkCoolSly

Forums : Skydiving Disciplines : Photography and Video

Search for (options)