Forums: Skydiving: Gear and Rigging:
buying a container with a larger waist size?

dontlikemustard  (B License)

Jul 18, 2012, 10:56 AM
Post #1 of 14 (890 views)
Shortcut
buying a container with a larger waist size? Can't Post

I found a container that fits, for a decent price.

I weight 195 lb.

this is a like-new container that holds 190-230.

My first canopy will be a 230. I want to be 1 to 1, as recommended.

As far as weight and height sizing goes I fit right in, except for the waist size... I am size 33-36(depending on how much I ate that day Tongue)

The container however is sized for 38" to 45".

Thoughts?

JohnRich  (D License)

Jul 18, 2012, 11:07 AM
Post #2 of 14 (874 views)
Shortcut
Re: [dontlikemustard] buying a container with a larger waist size? [In reply to] Can't Post

Put it on and see if it fits.

(This post was edited by JohnRich on Jul 18, 2012, 11:07 AM)

Jul 18, 2012, 11:13 AM
Post #3 of 14 (864 views)
Shortcut
Re: [JohnRich] buying a container with a larger waist size? [In reply to] Can't Post

buying online...

phoenixlpr  (D 3049)

Jul 18, 2012, 11:15 AM
Post #4 of 14 (862 views)
Shortcut
Re: [dontlikemustard] buying a container with a larger waist size? [In reply to] Can't Post

In reply to:
buying online...
Funny. Try some and check the harness size. Its easy with Javelins, like C17. C is the yoke size, 17 inch is the harness size.

Premier likestojump  (D License)

Jul 18, 2012, 11:27 AM
Post #5 of 14 (855 views)
Shortcut
Re: [phoenixlpr] buying a container with a larger waist size? [In reply to] Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
buying online...
Funny. Try some and check the harness size. Its easy with Javelins, like C17. C is the yoke size, 17 inch is the harness size.

And waist size=laterals.

So the user should talk to Sunpath and ask them the size they recommend vs. what's built. I bet the rig has 25/26, and they need 21 or 22

Jul 18, 2012, 11:36 AM
Post #6 of 14 (849 views)
Shortcut
Re: [likestojump] buying a container with a larger waist size? [In reply to] Can't Post

its a wings container... ill give them a call at lunch

theplummeter  (C License)

Jul 18, 2012, 12:10 PM
Post #7 of 14 (824 views)
Shortcut

Actually getting accurate measurements for harness sizing is key. It can also be awkward to find someone else to take the measurements, as taking them yourself won't yield accurate results and finding someone who will do a good job without excessive groping can be difficult.

When I needed to get sized for my last harness I bought a sewing tape measure and hired a prostitute. I was happy to find someone not afraid to get in there and take the measurements, and he/she was happy to make some money without extracting protein from a douche. Win win.

Deyan  (D 322)

Jul 18, 2012, 1:12 PM
Post #8 of 14 (792 views)
Shortcut

In reply to:
its a wings container... ill give them a call at lunch

Those are easy to resize!

Jul 18, 2012, 1:16 PM
Post #9 of 14 (789 views)
Shortcut
Re: [likestojump] buying a container with a larger waist size? [In reply to] Can't Post

sorry if this is an extremely stupid question but..

am i putting myself in any sort of danger or discomfort if the laterals are a size up?

(This post was edited by dontlikemustard on Jul 18, 2012, 1:30 PM)

JohnRich  (D License)

Jul 18, 2012, 3:33 PM
Post #10 of 14 (755 views)
Shortcut

In reply to:

am i putting myself in any sort of danger or discomfort if the laterals are a size up?

I would say "no". But the loose fit to your back means the container is going to wiggle around a bit behind you, which can make precision flying a little more difficult, because of the constantly shifting weight. I always find it a little distracting to fly up behind someone in a formation and to watch a rig dancing around on someone's back.

(This post was edited by JohnRich on Jul 18, 2012, 3:35 PM)

theonlyski  (D License)

Jul 18, 2012, 4:50 PM
Post #11 of 14 (725 views)
Shortcut
Re: [JohnRich] buying a container with a larger waist size? [In reply to] Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

I would say "no". But the loose fit to your back means the container is going to wiggle around a bit behind you, which can make precision flying a little more difficult, because of the constantly shifting weight. I always find it a little distracting to fly up behind someone in a formation and to watch a rig dancing around on someone's back.

And it could shift enough to make it pretty hard to find your hackey.

sundevil777  (D License)

Jul 18, 2012, 4:55 PM
Post #12 of 14 (720 views)
Shortcut
Re: [theonlyski] buying a container with a larger waist size? [In reply to] Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
In reply to:

And makes it easier to fall out

Blamey  (A 56669)

Jul 19, 2012, 10:36 AM
Post #13 of 14 (627 views)
Shortcut
Re: [sundevil777] buying a container with a larger waist size? [In reply to] Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
In reply to:
In reply to:

The hackey or the skydiver?

sundevil777  (D License)

Jul 19, 2012, 11:07 AM
Post #14 of 14 (620 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Blamey] buying a container with a larger waist size? [In reply to] Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
In reply to:
In reply to:
In reply to:

The hackey or the skydiver?

Quite right, could be taken either way! I meant it could be easier for the jumper to fall out of the harness.

Forums : Skydiving : Gear and Rigging

Search for (options)