Forums: Skydiving: Safety and Training:
Indestructibles - Michael Holmes - Parachute Question

naarepus74

Jul 13, 2012, 10:38 AM
Post #1 of 9 (1521 views)
Shortcut
Indestructibles - Michael Holmes - Parachute Question Can't Post

I recently watched the NatGeo special from a few years ago about Michael Holmes' malfunctioning parachutes. I looked up forums on here about it and most seem to have a negative impression of that episode. Being new to skydiving (I am jumping in August!) I have so many questions and found the episode fascinating.

I don't really understand how two parachutes become entangled like that before they are deployed. Is this a packing error? Can that happen while you're falling even if it had been packed properly?

I don't think the episode ever specifically said how that happened.

Thanks everyone. Smile

- Ann

Arvoitus  (D 3917)

Jul 13, 2012, 12:40 PM
Post #2 of 9 (1455 views)
Shortcut
Re: [naarepus74] Indestructibles - Michael Holmes - Parachute Question [In reply to] Can't Post

Its called a main/reserve entaglement, it can happen for myriad of reason but usually its because the the reserve is deployed, before the main is properly cut away. Here are some youtube videos to show what it looks like:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aFSivezl80E
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QqJ752JS5eY

Rover  (D 241)

Jul 13, 2012, 1:17 PM
Post #3 of 9 (1434 views)
Shortcut
Re: [naarepus74] Indestructibles - Michael Holmes - Parachute Question [In reply to] Can't Post

In this case a main parachute line snagged on the container - not common or gear specific - so even after the main was cutaway it remained connected to the container. When the reserve was deployed it entangled - and became a documentary. Cool

naarepus74

Jul 13, 2012, 2:29 PM
Post #4 of 9 (1404 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Arvoitus] Indestructibles - Michael Holmes - Parachute Question [In reply to] Can't Post

In the episode it said that they were already tangled up in the pack and that he had no chance of either one successfully opening. Can that only be a packing error?Its called a main/reserve entaglement, it can happen for myriad of reason but usually its because the the reserve is deployed, before the main is properly cut away. Here are some youtube videos to show what it looks like:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aFSivezl80E
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QqJ752JS5eY

councilman24  (D 8631)

Jul 13, 2012, 4:58 PM
Post #5 of 9 (1352 views)
Shortcut

In reply to:
In the episode it said that they were already tangled up in the pack and that he had no chance of either one successfully opening. Can that only be a packing error?

And you believe everything you hear on TV?Crazy Go watch a main packed, ask where the reserve is and you see why it can NOT happen like that. They are not IN the same pack.

naarepus74

Jul 13, 2012, 8:40 PM
Post #6 of 9 (1276 views)
Shortcut
Re: [councilman24] Indestructibles - Michael Holmes - Parachute Question [In reply to] Can't Post

And you believe everything you hear on TV?Crazy
Tongue

No I misunderstood the narrator's explanation about the parachutes being trapped. To correct my post he actually said "Inside the parachutes' container the cords are snagged. They trap the main chute and the reserve. There was no chance of either of them ever deploying properly".

I thought they were "trapped" before he even jumped.

But if I understand correctly, he pulled the ripcord for the main parachute and it snagged which caused it to fail to open properly and also impossible to cut away completely. And when this happens the reserve will tangle with the main.

Sorry, should have put this under General Skydiving Questions.

riggerrob  (D 14840)

Jul 14, 2012, 12:37 PM
Post #7 of 9 (1193 views)
Shortcut

"
In reply to:
... Sorry, should have put this under General Skydiving Questions.
"

Sorry, but this should be under "stupid journalist tricks." The problem started with a garbled report by a journalist, then the general public got confused. DOUH! This foolishness happens every, with every newspaper.
The sad thing is that editors expect cub reporters to become "instant experts" - on a bewildering array of subjects - and educate the public.
It is little wonder that the public are poorly-informed on a bewildering array of subjects: police, guns, military, aviation, shipping, paint ball, addictions, skydiving, etc.

Muffie  (A License)

Jul 14, 2012, 1:53 PM
Post #8 of 9 (1181 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Rover] Indestructibles - Michael Holmes - Parachute Question [In reply to] Can't Post

In reply to:
In this case a main parachute line snagged on the container
In reply to:

This. It's my understanding that as his main deployed the lines wrapped around the base of the closing loop, which meant his main didn't deploy fully and that when he cut away the main stayed attached to the container.

I'm not so sure that it isn't possible on certain types of rigs. When I bought my rig my AFFI advised me to have my rigger put a little modification around the base of the closing loop so that the lines couldn't do this same thing.

mjosparky  (D 5476)

Jul 14, 2012, 2:02 PM
Post #9 of 9 (1179 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Muffie] Indestructibles - Michael Holmes - Parachute Question [In reply to] Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
In this case a main parachute line snagged on the container
In reply to:

This. It's my understanding that as his main deployed the lines wrapped around the base of the closing loop, which meant his main didn't deploy fully and that when he cut away the main stayed attached to the container.

I'm not so sure that it isn't possible on certain types of rigs. When I bought my rig my AFFI advised me to have my rigger put a little modification around the base of the closing loop so that the lines couldn't do this same thing.

An old rigger once told be me if you can imagine it, it can happen. Over the years I have found this to be true.

Sparky

Forums : Skydiving : Safety and Training

Search for (options)