Forums: General: Introductions and Greets:
New to the sport!

Auto100291

Jul 2, 2012, 5:15 PM
Post #1 of 4 (262 views)
Shortcut
New to the sport! Can't Post

Hi everyone, I just passed my AFF level 6 this past weekend; I've got a total of 11 jumps and I'm serious about really getting into the sport and enjoying the fun! I just have one question....what should I look for in my first complete rig setup? I'm 5'10" 150 lbs and would like any and all information on what I should get.
Thanks!

dthames  (B 37674)

Jul 2, 2012, 5:26 PM
Post #2 of 4 (257 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Auto100291] New to the sport! [In reply to] Can't Post

I am sure there are many answers to that question. I can tell you what I looked for.

An AAD with a year or more of service life left on it.
A main that was know to be good for beginners but still have a lot of other good features.
A main with WL that was within my skill range and would keep me on the light WL side, because it seems many can't wait to injure themselves.
A reserve 15 or less years old.
A harness that will fit well.

Once I had such a rig in service I expect to be able to use it will only small additional cost until the AAD or the reserve needs to be replaced.

I went to my own rig on jump 21, with a 0.93 WL. My comfort level went up, because the student rigs just didn't fit well.

Premier skymama  (D 26699)
Jul 3, 2012, 4:52 AM
Post #3 of 4 (224 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Auto100291] New to the sport! [In reply to] Can't Post

Welcome to the forums! Smile At this stage in your jumping, I think you need to talk to your instructors and the experienced people who know you at your dropzone instead of people on the internet about which canopy you should get. That said, there have been a lot of threads about canopy choices for students and there are gear reviews on here too, so this site will be a wealth of information for you once you narrow down your choices.

So, ask you Instructor and then come back and read up and ask about the flight characteristics of the canopy he or she suggests. Cool

Auto100291

Jul 3, 2012, 7:30 PM
Post #4 of 4 (205 views)
Shortcut
Re: [skymama] New to the sport! [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks for the information, I will be sure to check out some other threads after I talk with my instructor... I have talked with a lot of the riggers at my DZ and they all mention dropsone.com but I'll get more information from my instructor who knows my abilities.
Thanks again!

Forums : General : Introductions and Greets

Search for (options)