Forums: Skydiving: General Skydiving Discussions:
Pic of the Day: Slide over human malfunction [worth a look!]

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

jf951  (D License)

Jun 13, 2012, 12:13 PM
Post #1 of 48 (4511 views)
Shortcut
Pic of the Day: Slide over human malfunction [worth a look!] Can't Post

This has gone viral over Facebook so i decide to post it here too.

sorry if its a re-post

*i am not a jumper in this, just founded on the interwebs and passing it on.

(This post was edited by jf951 on Jun 13, 2012, 1:05 PM)
Attachments: human.jpg (55.2 KB)

Premier skydiverek  (C 41769)

Jun 13, 2012, 12:44 PM
Post #2 of 48 (4428 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jf951] Pic of the Day: Slide over human malfunction [In reply to] Can't Post

Did he pull out of the formation, had a temporary baglock, and fell below the formation?

rehmwa  (D 12816)

Jun 13, 2012, 12:45 PM
Post #3 of 48 (4422 views)
Shortcut
Re: [skydiverek] Pic of the Day: Slide over human malfunction [In reply to] Can't Post

was he assigned to pull at breakoff time and then either dropped or got burbled at that moment?

lots of scenarios possible

jf951  (D License)

Jun 13, 2012, 1:04 PM
Post #4 of 48 (4383 views)
Shortcut
Re: [rehmwa] Pic of the Day: Slide over human malfunction [In reply to] Can't Post

in the interest of not spreading any false information. I have no first or second hand information on this picture. i don't know what circumstances arose that this ended up happening.

never the less, this surely isnt something you see everyday and will definitely make you scratch your head.

3mpire  (C 39657)

Jun 13, 2012, 1:44 PM
Post #5 of 48 (4340 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jf951] Pic of the Day: Slide over human malfunction [worth a look!] [In reply to] Can't Post

mr. bill you're doing it wrong

piisfish

Jun 14, 2012, 1:12 AM
Post #6 of 48 (4018 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jf951] Pic of the Day: Slide over human malfunction [worth a look!] [In reply to] Can't Post

does anybody have 1st hand info on this ? Shocked

sparkie  (D License)

Jun 14, 2012, 1:23 AM
Post #7 of 48 (4016 views)
Shortcut

the guy holding the lines is just making sure there are no line twists.

I see nothing wrong here, just some guy helping out another.

jerolim  (F License)

Jun 14, 2012, 1:41 AM
Post #8 of 48 (4006 views)
Shortcut

No, this is quick line trim check,.. Wink

REDAKTOR

Jun 14, 2012, 2:55 AM
Post #9 of 48 (3967 views)
Shortcut
Re: [piisfish] Pic of the Day: Slide over human malfunction [worth a look!] [In reply to] Can't Post

The guy with the chute was to signal brakeoff. He let go of the formation and pulled, and as the result he dropped below during his opening sequence. The other guy caught his lines and slided sideways. Both are ok, nothing except slight linetwistsSmile

pchapman  (D 1014)

Jun 14, 2012, 5:48 AM
Post #10 of 48 (3862 views)
Shortcut
Re: [REDAKTOR] Pic of the Day: Slide over human malfunction [worth a look!] [In reply to] Can't Post

In reply to:
The other guy caught his lines and slided sideways. Both are ok, nothing except slight linetwistsSmile

The main thing that will have saved them is that we can't see the speed of movement involved, that the "line inspector" must have dived through fast enough to avoid too much of a body check. Who knows, actually burbling the opening canopy for a split second might have helped too to reduce the deploying jumper's upwards acceleration.

DougH  (D License)

Jun 14, 2012, 5:55 AM
Post #11 of 48 (3852 views)
Shortcut
Re: [REDAKTOR] Pic of the Day: Slide over human malfunction [worth a look!] [In reply to] Can't Post

This is why I don't like people pulling out of formations.

skyjumpenfool  (Student)

Jun 14, 2012, 10:40 AM
Post #12 of 48 (3724 views)
Shortcut

I'm just curious here, please don't blast my question. Are we ok with reposting an "obviously copyrighted" picture here? Great shot! Id be curious how the photographer feels about this. Unimpressed

rehmwa  (D 12816)

Jun 14, 2012, 10:56 AM
Post #13 of 48 (3712 views)
Shortcut
Re: [DougH] Pic of the Day: Slide over human malfunction [worth a look!] [In reply to] Can't Post

In reply to:
This is why I don't like people pulling out of formations.

I'm ok with it, but it's a very serious role and you have to assign it to a very capable skydiver as well as one that's surrounded by the same (if your neighbor sinks out at the time, he could also burble that guy).

Clearly, not maintaining levelness during the deployment is really poor execution of the task.

I bet this happened FAST and the video is pretty cool. Lucky and skilled photographer to get that shot.

The OTHER thing I don't like here - People are ALREADY tracking away. So clearly, having this guy dump in the group was unnecessary.

A good track is supposed to have a lot of people putting out all their surface area for use in the track - (i.e., good trackers will slow down in their fall rate) - so if the dumper went low, it's even worse if everyone around him is laying it out going up relative to him.........

(Tonguenormally what happens here at this point is I find out this was organized by the best and had the best and I'm talking nonsense - I'm ok with that as long as they chime in so I can learn something good)

(This post was edited by rehmwa on Jun 14, 2012, 10:59 AM)

tilley13k  (A 45798)

Jun 14, 2012, 11:28 AM
Post #14 of 48 (3665 views)
Shortcut
Re: [skyjumpenfool] Pic of the Day: Slide over human malfunction [worth a look!] [In reply to] Can't Post

Seems to me this would fall under fair use and not copyright infringement. No one in this thread is making money off of it and it is for educational purposes.

Now if someone were to copy this image and sell the crap out of it, different situation entirely.

Faicon9493  (D 9493)

Jun 14, 2012, 11:33 AM
Post #15 of 48 (3659 views)
Shortcut

In reply to:
This has gone viral over Facebook so i decide to post it here too.

sorry if its a re-post

*i am not a jumper in this, just founded on the interwebs and passing it on.

That has got to be one of the scariest skydiving photos I've ever seen.

Baksteen  (C 708753)

Jun 14, 2012, 12:15 PM
Post #16 of 48 (3615 views)
Shortcut
Re: [skyjumpenfool] Pic of the Day: Slide over human malfunction [worth a look!] [In reply to] Can't Post

In reply to:
I'm just curious here, please don't blast my question. Are we ok with reposting an "obviously copyrighted" picture here? Great shot! Id be curious how the photographer feels about this. Unimpressed

Dude. It's been on Facebook. By now it's been distributed and redistributed so many times by now that one more post on DZ.com isn't going to make any difference.

airtwardo  (D License)

Jun 14, 2012, 1:03 PM
Post #17 of 48 (3577 views)
Shortcut
Re: [sparkie] Pic of the Day: Slide over human malfunction [worth a look!] [In reply to] Can't Post

In reply to:
the guy holding the lines is just making sure there are no line twists.

I see nothing wrong here, just some guy helping out another.

When I grow up I wanna be a SLIDER! Cool

NickMrNAM  (D License)

Jun 14, 2012, 1:31 PM
Post #18 of 48 (3547 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Faicon9493] Pic of the Day: Slide over human malfunction [worth a look!] [In reply to] Can't Post

seems to me it's has been in Bigway Aerograd Kolomna...Cool

virgin-burner

Jun 14, 2012, 1:41 PM
Post #19 of 48 (3524 views)
Shortcut
Re: [NickMrNAM] Pic of the Day: Slide over human malfunction [worth a look!] [In reply to] Can't Post

In reply to:
seems to me it's has been in Bigway Aerograd Kolomna...Cool

crazy russians! Devil

shah269  (A 59581)

Jun 14, 2012, 1:51 PM
Post #20 of 48 (3504 views)
Shortcut

Hybid?

Premier billvon  (D 16479)
Jun 14, 2012, 5:06 PM
Post #21 of 48 (3414 views)
Shortcut
Re: [rehmwa] Pic of the Day: Slide over human malfunction [worth a look!] [In reply to] Can't Post

>The OTHER thing I don't like here - People are ALREADY tracking away. So clearly,
>having this guy dump in the group was unnecessary.

He may not have been the key for the people who have already tracked far from the base. He may have been keying the 20 or so final people. Multiple pullouts are pretty common, and used to be common for US bigways.

dninness  (D 19617)

Jun 14, 2012, 5:18 PM
Post #22 of 48 (3407 views)
Shortcut
Re: [billvon] Pic of the Day: Slide over human malfunction [worth a look!] [In reply to] Can't Post

There is a 2nd photo on the Internet from above, and it looks like everybody was turning to track away and the guy deploying was _not_ in the base.

Here, see the attached. Great photo, but it looks like the guy in red turned off to track and got a PC and main in the face.

crotalus01  (B 28932)

Jun 14, 2012, 8:46 PM
Post #23 of 48 (3302 views)
Shortcut
Re: [dninness] Pic of the Day: Slide over human malfunction [worth a look!] [In reply to] Can't Post

I think you forgot to attach the picture. I would like to see it...

(This post was edited by crotalus01 on Jun 14, 2012, 8:46 PM)

rehmwa  (D 12816)

Jun 15, 2012, 7:42 AM
Post #24 of 48 (3143 views)
Shortcut
Re: [billvon] Pic of the Day: Slide over human malfunction [worth a look!] [In reply to] Can't Post

In reply to:
>The OTHER thing I don't like here - People are ALREADY tracking away. So clearly,
>having this guy dump in the group was unnecessary.

He may not have been the key for the people who have already tracked far from the base. He may have been keying the 20 or so final people. Multiple pullouts are pretty common, and used to be common for US bigways.

sure, but the tracking people I'm noting are within a 20 foot radius of him- so even if this is a later staged dump, it still doesn't look right

you can see the base still intact there just above and to the right. would be a fun video to watch anyway.

(This post was edited by rehmwa on Jun 15, 2012, 8:11 AM)

davelepka  (D 21448)

Jun 15, 2012, 8:03 AM
Post #25 of 48 (3120 views)
Shortcut
Re: [rehmwa] Pic of the Day: Slide over human malfunction [worth a look!] [In reply to] Can't Post

Quote:
Lucky and skilled photographer to get that shot

It looks like a picture of a TV screen. It might have been a frame grab off a video, that someone took a pic of the screen.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Skydiving : General Skydiving Discussions

Search for (options)