Forums: Skydiving: Gear and Rigging:
No booties to Megabooties? Anyone tried this?

Namowal  (A 63059)

May 31, 2012, 1:01 PM
Post #1 of 10 (1284 views)
Shortcut
No booties to Megabooties? Anyone tried this? Can't Post

A few experienced jumpers have suggested I order my jumpsuit with mega-sized booties. I am interested in formation skydiving... ...but aren't the megas supposed to be for the experts? I'm rather new and haven't jumped with any booties.
This seems to be a departure from the "don't try [anything fancy] until you've had 200 jumps" mantra that I normally hear.

1.Have any of you gone from no booties at all to the big ones?
2. If so, how difficult were they to master?

GLIDEANGLE  (D 30292)

May 31, 2012, 1:22 PM
Post #2 of 10 (1262 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Namowal] No booties to Megabooties? Anyone tried this? [In reply to] Can't Post

200 jump threshold does not apply here.

I went from no booties to big booties (size 13 shoes). No problems at all. I am a klutz... If I can do it, you can do it.

hillson  (D 33134)

May 31, 2012, 2:32 PM
Post #3 of 10 (1230 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Namowal] No booties to Megabooties? Anyone tried this? [In reply to] Can't Post

I did...two weeks ago. I, too, am interested in rw and as I wanted to get a suit that I'd have for a while I went with the big booties. Not the Airspeed style but I think tony suit calls them megaxl or something. Was also recommended by my instructor when I asked.

Big difference flying. Had some fun potato chipping my first few. Put 3 jumps on it solo because I was all over the place, managed to snag tunnel time that night, and was back in the sky in groups the next day. Tunnel certainly not required, of course, it was just lucky timing. But be prepared to move a bit different than you're used to. That's all.

Get them...you won't regret it.

Premier NWFlyer  (D 29960)

May 31, 2012, 3:11 PM
Post #4 of 10 (1206 views)
Shortcut

I say go for it. Try them for the first time on a small jump or in the tunnel; if you don't feel ready for them, you can always tuck them under and try again a few jumps later.

theplummeter  (C License)

May 31, 2012, 3:37 PM
Post #5 of 10 (1194 views)
Shortcut
Re: [NWFlyer] No booties to Megabooties? Anyone tried this? [In reply to] Can't Post

I went from no booties to mega booties on a tony suit. Easy transition, if I jump in a different suit I feel like my feet don't do anything.

Andy9o8  (D License)

Jun 2, 2012, 3:50 PM
Post #6 of 10 (996 views)
Shortcut

You should be familiar with them. They're similar to These.

Premier billvon  (D 16479)
Jun 2, 2012, 7:46 PM
Post #7 of 10 (955 views)
Shortcut

>...but aren't the megas supposed to be for the experts?

Not really. They take a little time to learn to fly well, but it's not going to be a whole new way of flying.

If you do decide to get them I'd strongly suggest to spend a little tunnel time with a coach working on your body position. Small problems now are easy to fix - they're a lot harder to fix after doing it that way over the course of 400 jumps, after it's become a habit.

One thing you might want to consider is that if you are light. megabooties might require you to add a bit more lead.

>This seems to be a departure from the "don't try [anything fancy] until you've had
>200 jumps" mantra that I normally hear.

That's good advice, but small vs large booties aren't really all that "fancy" a change.

Edited to add - if it's Tony suits you are talking about, they offer Airspeed booties which are sort of a step between small and mega booties.

(This post was edited by billvon on Jun 2, 2012, 7:50 PM)

Namowal  (A 63059)

Jun 2, 2012, 7:49 PM
Post #8 of 10 (953 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Andy9o8] No booties to Megabooties? Anyone tried this? [In reply to] Can't Post

In reply to:
You should be familiar with them. They're similar to These.

Good one.Laugh

jumpwally  (D License)

Jun 8, 2012, 9:03 AM
Post #9 of 10 (765 views)
Shortcut

...and then again you see guys like Roger Ponce with no booties...Cool

Ron

Jun 13, 2012, 7:35 AM
Post #10 of 10 (635 views)
Shortcut

Get them, they will not be a big deal. Yes they are more powerful, but not something that is impossible to learn.

Just do two and three ways till you get used to them.

Forums : Skydiving : Gear and Rigging

Search for (options)