Forums: Skydiving: Gear and Rigging:
Its YOUR gear... (unofficial DZ.Com Main System Checklist)

fcajump  (D 15598)

May 31, 2012, 5:35 AM
Post #1 of 17 (1708 views)
Shortcut
Its YOUR gear... (unofficial DZ.Com Main System Checklist) Can't Post

Ok, so a guy walks up to me at the DZ, knows I'm a rigger... says "hey, I just read an article about loose french links, but I'm not sure what to look for..." Glancing around for an example to show him, I see someon walking in from the landing area with his canopy drapped over his shoulder. I call him over and ask to use his links as an example for discussion... Turns out it was a GREAT example... I held it up to the first person and said "This is exactly what you're looking for... see how there are three full threads showing? This is a link about to fail, either on openning or during a critical point in flight."

Turned out to be a great example for the one who asked the question, AND we walked the jumper (now ghost-white faced and shaking slightly) over to my kit and checked/retightened all his links.
(BTW - example of problem with ill-maintained gear, not with hard-links, which I happen to like)

So, lets go over it again...
- your rigger only checks the harness, AAD and reserve (either because you don't take the main to him, or because you don't ask him to check the main or because he was too busy to get to it... again)
- your packer... well... he packs it... and we consider it "normal" for the packer to be given the rig with the slider reset, brakes stowed, etc... so you think (s)he is checking it for problems?? REALLY??

And neither of these folks are about to hang their life on it at 110-180mph (can you say sit-oops-deploy?)

So... once a month, week, day, please inspect on your MAIN system...

(unofficial) DROPZONE.COM Main System Inspection Checklist

___ Cutaway handle - remove, check for kink, cracks, clean (Ronsonol yellow bottle lighter fluid), lubricate (Ace Hardware Spray Silicon lubricant on cloth), check velcro.

___ Risers - any cuts/freys/broken/missing stuff? Rings deformed? Worn velcro? Flex the webbing around the rings.

___ Links -
Hard - cracks in the barrol, loose, deformed? Are they "Mallion Rapide"? (if not, replace)
Soft - worn, cut, freyed, older than the line set? Properly installed? Are you sure??

___ Lines - cut/freyed? Asymetrical from side to side? Any openning problems? When did you or your rigger last check the line trim? Are the brake lines still the correct length (slight bow at full flight with no tail deflection)??

___ Canopy - holes, tears (what about in the ribs?)? When did you last actually LOOK at the whole canopy? Can you hang it up to take a close look??

___ Bridle attachment - is it pulling loose? What about the reenforcement inside both halves of the center cell?

___ Bridle attachment link - good condition? (see link notes above)

___ D-Bag - holes? Are the grommets still in good shape? (round/fully seated/no chance of a line getting under the edge) Stow attach points in good shape? Correct size/shape for your container?? Are the bands the right size for your lines? Are they matched (type/size/condition)?

___ Bridle - cuts/freys/broken stiches?? How's that pin attachment? You'd look silly if the pin stays in place as the bridle rips away... (ok, more than silly, but you get the point...)

___ Pin - Smooth? No burs that will cut the closing loop? If you have an older pin - is there any chipping/pealing/missing platting?

___ Kill line - proper length? (when fully cocked, the kill line should be slack with the PC crown line taking the tension) Is the "cocked" color still visible in the window?

___ PC - wear/cuts/pulls/broken stitches? Handle pulling off? Does it still lift the canopy/D-bag like it used to??

___ Closing loop - GEEZE... when did you last change that? We'll yea, it hasn't broken yet, but that might be because its 6 inches too long!!!

---------------------------------------------------------

If you're not sure what any/all of this is talking about, ASK!!! Find a rigger and ask them how to check all this stuff. Then DO IT.

For what its worth, once you know what you're looking for, it should take you less time to do this check than it did for me to type it up, so no SH!T about it taking too long.

JW

PS - if you feel stuff should be added/changed in this list, great... please quote the entire list with your changes. I'd like to see us end up with a complete checklist that folks could print out and use! Smile

(This post was edited by fcajump on May 31, 2012, 5:36 AM)

Deyan  (D 322)

May 31, 2012, 12:38 PM
Post #2 of 17 (1534 views)
Shortcut
Re: [fcajump] Its YOUR gear... (unofficial DZ.Com Main System Checklist) [In reply to] Can't Post

In reply to:

Quote:
So, lets go over it again...
- your rigger only checks the harness, AAD and reserve (either because you don't take the main to him, or because you don't ask him to check the main or because he was too busy to get to it... again)

Not always. In some countries the whole system has to be inspected /approved once a year.
On every repack we ( our loft ) inspect everything except the line routing and the fabric condition of the main. It's standard. No extra charge.

___ Cutaway handle - remove, check for kink, cracks, clean (Ronsonol yellow bottle lighter fluid), lubricate (Ace Hardware Spray Silicon lubricant on cloth), check velcro. While removing the cutaway handle, watch the cables. If the cable on the RSL ( if present ) side riser releases first, ask your rigger for advice. If you have a SKYHOOK ,be really careful not to misroute the long side release cable when installing back the cutaway handle.

___ Risers - any cuts/freys/broken/missing stuff? Rings deformed? Worn velcro? Flex the webbing around the rings.

___ Links -
Hard - cracks in the barrol, loose, deformed? Are they "Mallion Rapide"? (if not, replace) If slider bumpers are installed, check how tight they are. If you can move them towards the canopy without problem, ask your rigger to tack them on place.
Soft - worn, cut, freyed, older than the line set? Properly installed? Are you sure?? If they are not tacked, it's not a bad idea to ask your rigger to do it

___ Lines - cut/freyed? Asymetrical from side to side? Any openning problems? When did you or your rigger last check the line trim? Are the brake lines still the correct length (slight bow at full flight with no tail deflection)??

___ Canopy - holes, tears (what about in the ribs?)? When did you last actually LOOK at the whole canopy? Can you hang it up to take a close look??

___ Bridle attachment - is it pulling loose? What about the reenforcement inside both halves of the center cell?

___ D-Bag - holes? Are the grommets still in good shape? (round/fully seated/no chance of a line getting under the edge) Stow attach points in good shape? Correct size/shape for your container?? Are the bands the right size for your lines? Are they matched (type/size/condition)?

___ Bridle - cuts/freys/broken stiches?? How's that pin attachment? You'd look silly if the pin stays in place as the bridle rips away... (ok, more than silly, but you get the point...)

___ Pin - Smooth? No burs that will cut the closing loop? If you have an older pin - is there any chipping/pealing/missing platting?

___ Kill line - proper length? (when fully cocked, the kill line should be slack with the PC crown line taking the tension) Is the "cocked" color still visible in the window?

___ PC - wear/cuts/pulls/broken stitches? Handle pulling off? Does it still lift the canopy/D-bag like it used to??

___ Closing loop - GEEZE... when did you last change that? We'll yea, it hasn't broken yet, but that might be because its 6 inches too long!!!

If you're not sure what any/all of this is talking about, ASK!!! Find a rigger and ask them how to check all this stuff. Then DO IT.

For what its worth, once you know what you're looking for, it should take you less time to do this check than it did for me to type it up, so no SH!T about it taking too long.

JW

PS - if you feel stuff should be added/changed in this list, great... please quote the entire list with your changes. I'd like to see us end up with a complete checklist that folks could print out and use! Smile

Premier wmw999  (D 6296)

May 31, 2012, 1:05 PM
Post #3 of 17 (1514 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Deyan] Its YOUR gear... (unofficial DZ.Com Main System Checklist) [In reply to] Can't Post

To fcajump: thanks for putting this up there. Easiest thing in the world to do is to critique or change something that someone put out there -- much harder (on the ego, too Laugh) to put it out there in the first place.

Quote:
Not always. In some countries the whole system has to be inspected /approved once a year.
On every repack we ( our loft ) inspect everything except the line routing and the fabric condition of the main. It's standard. No extra charge.

___ Cutaway handle - remove, check for kink, cracks, clean (Ronsonol yellow bottle lighter fluid), lubricate (Ace Hardware Spray Silicon lubricant on cloth), check velcro. While removing the cutaway handle, watch the cables. If the cable on the RSL ( if present ) side riser releases first, ask your rigger for advice. If you have a SKYHOOK ,be really careful not to misroute the long side release cable when installing back the cutaway handle.

___ Risers - any cuts/frays/broken/missing stuff? Rings deformed? Worn velcro? Flex the webbing around the rings. If you have hard housings, make sure they are well-secured and not dangling

___ Links -
Hard - cracks in the barrel, loose, deformed? Are they "Mallion Rapide"? (if not, replace) If slider bumpers are installed, check how tight they are. If you can move them towards the canopy without problem, ask your rigger to tack them in place.
Soft - worn, cut, frayed, older than the line set? Properly installed? Are you sure?? If they are not tacked, it's not a bad idea to ask your rigger to do it

___ Lines - cut/frayed? Asymmetrical from side to side? Any opening problems? When did you or your rigger last check the line trim? Are the brake lines still the correct length (slight bow at full flight with no tail deflection)?? Note that if only the brake lines are frayed, you can have only those replaced.

___ Bridle - cuts/frays/broken stiches?? How's that pin attachment? You'd look silly if the pin stays in place as the bridle rips away... (ok, more than silly, but you get the point...)

Deyan  (D 322)

May 31, 2012, 1:26 PM
Post #4 of 17 (1492 views)
Shortcut
Re: [wmw999] Its YOUR gear... (unofficial DZ.Com Main System Checklist) [In reply to] Can't Post

Quote:
Easiest thing in the world to do is to critique or change something that someone put out there -- much harder (on the ego, too Laugh) to put it out there in the first place

I guess you missed that part Crazy

Quote:

Premier wmw999  (D 6296)

May 31, 2012, 2:04 PM
Post #5 of 17 (1460 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Deyan] Its YOUR gear... (unofficial DZ.Com Main System Checklist) [In reply to] Can't Post

I changed some too -- I wasn't trying to cast aspersions on you, just complimenting the OP on getting it started. I replied to yours so that your changes are all incorporated (don't want to miss them).

Wendy P.

fcajump  (D 15598)

May 31, 2012, 3:05 PM
Post #6 of 17 (1430 views)
Shortcut
Re: [wmw999] Its YOUR gear... (unofficial DZ.Com Main System Checklist) [In reply to] Can't Post

Wendy/Deyan - GREAT changes! THANKS!!

Riggers/experienced - Keep it going if you see something else missing (though I would like to keep it a somewhat generic/normal checklist without any exotics).

Students/less experienced - not sure, think you see something but don't want to speak up... no problem. Drop me a line here, or talk over the list with your instructor/rigger. If its a good idea, I don't care where it came from and you guys are in the current training... maybe there's new stuff I missed.

JW

fcajump  (D 15598)

May 31, 2012, 3:13 PM
Post #7 of 17 (1419 views)
Shortcut

___ Risers - any cuts/frays/broken/missing stuff? Rings deformed? Worn velcro? Flex the webbing around the rings. If you have hard housings, make sure they are well-secured and not dangling

___ Links -
Hard - cracks in the barrel, loose, deformed? Are they "Mallion Rapide"? (if not, replace) If slider bumpers are installed, check how tight they are. If you can move them towards the canopy without problem, ask your rigger to tack them in place.
Soft - worn, cut, frayed, older than the line set? Properly installed? Are you sure?? If they are not tacked, it's not a bad idea to ask your rigger to do it

___ Lines - cut/frayed? Asymmetrical from side to side? Any opening problems? When did you or your rigger last check the line trim? Are the brake lines still the correct length (slight bow at full flight with no tail deflection)?? Note that if only the brake lines are frayed, you can have only those replaced.

___ Slider - any holes/tears? Run your fingers around the inside of the grommets... any sharp spots? (they tear up lines quick). Got slider kill lines? Are the channels still intact, correctly sewn down and without holes? Note: if you still have pull tabs (like me) talk to your rigger about changing them for no-tab kill lines... their less likely to get caught in a cascade and result in a stuck slider during deployment.

___ Bridle - cuts/frays/broken stiches?? How's that pin attachment? You'd look silly if the pin stays in place as the bridle rips away... (ok, more than silly, but you get the point...)

For what its worth, once you know what you're looking for, it should take you less time to do this check than it did for me to type it up, so don't gimme no SH!T about it taking too long. Wink

--------------
Thanks so far to Wendy and Deyan!
Next time we jump together, remind me I owe you a beer!! Cool

JW

theonlyski  (D License)

May 31, 2012, 5:44 PM
Post #8 of 17 (1376 views)
Shortcut
Re: [fcajump] Its YOUR gear... (unofficial DZ.Com Main System Checklist) [In reply to] Can't Post

___ Overall condition -

-Threads coming out of anything
-Fraying/fuzzing of webbing, container, lines, etc
-Corrosion on any of the hardware
-Springs on B-12 snaps not properly seating the gate
-Friction adapters that you notice tend to 'loosen up'
-Discoloring (not really worried about grass stains from where you had that less than awesome landing)
-Mold/mildew smell (yes... really)

___ Risers - any cuts/frays/broken/missing stuff? Rings deformed? Worn velcro? Flex the webbing around the rings. If you have hard housings, make sure they are well-secured and not dangling. Excess brake stow keepers in shape? Toggles secure?

___ Links -

___ Slider - any holes/tears? Run your fingers around the inside of the grommets... any sharp spots? (they tear up lines quick). Got slider kill lines? Are the channels still intact, correctly sewn down and without holes? Note: if you still have pull tabs (like me) talk to your rigger about changing them for no-tab kill lines... their less likely to get caught in a cascade and result in a stuck slider during deployment.

___ Canopy - holes, tears (what about in the ribs? (keeping in mind that there are crossports and they should be there, but they should be generally straight and not completely frayed, talk to a rigger for further info on them))? When did you last actually LOOK at the whole canopy? Can you hang it up to take a close look??

___ Bridle attachment - is it pulling loose? What about the reenforcement inside both halves of the center cell? What about the support tape? They can and do get cut and fray, bad enough could turn your d-bag into a free bag.

___ Main container grommets - Nicks, cuts, other damage? Would suck to have a torn up grommet cut your closing loop in freefall. You expect packers to catch these? I replaced 2 grommets on a tandem rig, one was worn almost completely thru... the packers didn't notice/care.

For what its worth, once you know what you're looking for, it should take you less time to do this check than it did for me to type it up, so don't gimme no SH!T about it taking too long. Wink

(This post was edited by theonlyski on May 31, 2012, 5:50 PM)

dninness  (D 19617)

May 31, 2012, 6:09 PM
Post #9 of 17 (1353 views)
Shortcut

In reply to:
Note: if you still have pull tabs (like me) talk to your rigger about changing them for no-tab kill lines... their less likely to get caught in a cascade and result in a stuck slider during deployment.

Holy smokes, I honestly _never_ thought of this as an issue. But it makes sense! Wow.

Things I Learned today.

sundevil777  (D License)

May 31, 2012, 6:24 PM
Post #10 of 17 (1347 views)
Shortcut
Re: [dninness] Its YOUR gear... (unofficial DZ.Com Main System Checklist) [In reply to] Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
Note: if you still have pull tabs (like me) talk to your rigger about changing them for no-tab kill lines... their less likely to get caught in a cascade and result in a stuck slider during deployment.

Holy smokes, I honestly _never_ thought of this as an issue. But it makes sense! Wow.

Things I Learned today.

I like the idea of the no tab style also, but getting the tab style to retract enough that the tab itself is partially withdrawn into the slider will help reduce the possibility of a hang up.

theonlyski  (D License)

May 31, 2012, 6:41 PM
Post #11 of 17 (1330 views)
Shortcut
Re: [sundevil777] Its YOUR gear... (unofficial DZ.Com Main System Checklist) [In reply to] Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
In reply to:

Things I Learned today.

I like the idea of the no tab style also, but getting the tab style to retract enough that the tab itself is partially withdrawn into the slider will help reduce the possibility of a hang up.

It's pretty easy to do, only takes a couple of seconds... but I cannot get the fucking packers to do it!Crazy

Another reason I pack ALL of my own stuff. Tandem and sport, main and reserve. Only packjobs I've jumped in years that weren't mine, were at the tandem course.

Waldschrat

Jun 2, 2012, 1:40 AM
Post #12 of 17 (1127 views)
Shortcut
Re: [theonlyski] Its YOUR gear... (unofficial DZ.Com Main System Checklist) [In reply to] Can't Post

3 Ring System: All 3 Rings should be full pivotable, with no dent's or anything(expect you have ovalness ringsLaugh ) and too much distance between the rings. Look also if the that the main raiser do have suitable size, that she can cut correct if you pull your handle(test it, if you can! But not in air!)

The risers should be correct attached (fore-or backwards!) like the producer it dictates.

(This post was edited by Waldschrat on Jun 2, 2012, 1:54 AM)

feuergnom  (D License)

Jun 2, 2012, 3:25 AM
Post #13 of 17 (1105 views)
Shortcut

Quote:
Canopy - holes, tears (what about in the ribs? (keeping in mind that there are crossports and they should be there, but they should be generally straight and not completely frayed, talk to a rigger for further info on them))? When did you last actually LOOK at the whole canopy? Can you hang it up to take a close look??

also check the line attachement on the canopy from time to time. mind that there are stiches/bartacks/fingertraps used. know what they should look like to know what you are looking at, when somethings is starting to wear

councilman24  (D 8631)

Jun 3, 2012, 4:58 PM
Post #14 of 17 (960 views)
Shortcut

"Ace silicon lubricant" should be food grade. Current food grade version they sell is CRC. The 'ACE' brand is not the same as it used to be but don't know if it is food grade. Food grade contains silicon and small molecule hydrocarbon propellants (butane, propane etc). Non food grade often includes higher molecular weight hydrocarbons/oils.

Hellis

Jun 3, 2012, 11:28 PM
Post #15 of 17 (886 views)
Shortcut

Make sure the nut is facing in on hardlinks, especially if they don't have sliderbumpers

obelixtim  (D 84)

Jun 4, 2012, 1:22 AM
Post #16 of 17 (858 views)
Shortcut
Re: [theonlyski] Its YOUR gear... (unofficial DZ.Com Main System Checklist) [In reply to] Can't Post

In reply to:

___ Overall condition -

-Discoloring (not really worried about grass stains from where you had that less than awesome landing)

___ Risers - any cuts/frays/broken/missing stuff? Rings deformed? Worn velcro? Flex the webbing around the rings. If you have hard housings, make sure they are well-secured and not dangling. Excess brake stow keepers in shape? Toggles secure?

___ Links -

___ Canopy - holes, tears (what about in the ribs? (keeping in mind that there are crossports and they should be there, but they should be generally straight and not completely frayed, talk to a rigger for further info on them))? When did you last actually LOOK at the whole canopy? Can you hang it up to take a close look??

___ Bridle attachment - is it pulling loose? What about the reenforcement inside both halves of the center cell? What about the support tape? They can and do get cut and fray, bad enough could turn your d-bag into a free bag.

___ Main container grommets - Nicks, cuts, other damage? Would suck to have a torn up grommet cut your closing loop in freefall. You expect packers to catch these? I replaced 2 grommets on a tandem rig, one was worn almost completely thru... the packers didn't notice/care. A good way to check grommets for sharp edges or "feathers" is to run a piece of an old nylon stocking/pantyhose around the inside of them. This applies to all grommets on your rig including slider, and should be done on new rigs, or any time you have new grommets on your gear (a new slider perhaps).

fcajump  (D 15598)

Jun 4, 2012, 1:01 PM
Post #17 of 17 (759 views)
Shortcut
Re: [obelixtim] Its YOUR gear... (unofficial DZ.Com Main System Checklist) [In reply to] Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

___ Overall condition -

-Elastic Keepers - are they still "keeping" the loose ends secure? (you can have additional keepers if that helps)

___ Cutaway handle - remove, check for kink, cracks, clean (Ronsonol yellow bottle lighter fluid), lubricate (Food Grade Spray Silicon lubricant on cloth), check velcro. While removing the cutaway handle, watch the cables. If the cable on the RSL ( if present ) side riser releases first, ask your rigger for advice. If you have a SKYHOOK ,be really careful not to misroute the long side release cable when installing back the cutaway handle.

___ RSL Do you have an RSL? Is it installed correctly? Are your risers compatible with it? Are the cut-away cables the right length to release the non-RSL side first?

___AAD Battery Date? Service Date? Your rigger is required to ensure its in date when your reserve is repacked, but is it going out of date just when you wanted to be at the big boogie?? Plan ahead for when its best in your schedule to have it out for service.

___ Risers - any cuts/frays/broken/missing stuff? Rings deformed? Worn velcro? Flex the webbing around the rings. Is the loop in good shape or freyed? If you have hard housings, make sure they are well-secured and not dangling. Excess brake stow keepers in shape? Toggles secure?

In-flight checks - when you are under canopy, look at the rings... under load they should be parallel to each other (not tilted in/out). If you do not have hard housings in the risers, feel up the back to see if there is sufficient length beyond the loop. Ask your rigger for how much extra is correct.

___ Links -

Hard - cracks in the barrel, loose, deformed? Are they "Mallion Rapide"? (if not, replace) The long side of the link should be toward the risers and the barrels toward the center (so the center lines are closest to the barrel).
Bumpers - Main canopies with hard links should have bumpers or other protection between the links and the grommets of the slider. If slider bumpers are installed, check how tight they are. If you can move them towards the canopy without problem, ask your rigger to tack them in place.

___ Canopy - holes, tears (what about in the ribs? (keeping in mind that there are crossports and they should be there, but they should be generally straight and not completely frayed, talk to a rigger for further info on them))? When did you last actually LOOK at the whole canopy? Can you hang it up to take a close look?? Are the line attach points still secure to the canopy? Are all the slider stops still secure and are their pockets in good shape?

___ Main container grommets - Nicks, cuts, other damage? Would suck to have a torn up grommet cut your closing loop in freefall. You expect packers to catch these? I replaced 2 grommets on a tandem rig, one was worn almost completely thru... the packers didn't notice/care.

Tips: A good way to check any of the grommets for sharp edges or "feathers" is to run a piece of an old nylon stocking/pantyhose around the inside of them. This applies to all grommets on your rig including slider, and should be done on new rigs, or any time you have new grommets on your gear (a new slider perhaps).

(This post was edited by fcajump on Jun 4, 2012, 1:03 PM)

Forums : Skydiving : Gear and Rigging

Search for (options)