Forums: Skydiving: Gear and Rigging:
Fury

skyman69  (B License)

Apr 29, 2012, 12:31 PM
Post #1 of 8 (745 views)
Shortcut
Fury Can't Post

Can anybody answer me a simple question please,,,,,what is the maximum jump number for a Fury 220 i purchased one a while ago with just short of 500 jumps and have been told it isnt worth selling.please help

dragon2  (D 101989)

Apr 29, 2012, 12:58 PM
Post #2 of 8 (721 views)
Shortcut
Re: [skyman69] Fury [In reply to] Can't Post

There's not a mamimum number of jumps per se. But, it's F111. If the lineset is worn or out of trim, I shouldn't bother replacing it. If the fabric is worn out, ditto. If both are still good, and the flare is still ok-ish, you could sell it for cheaps to a beginner for another 50-100 jumps maybe. Just do not load it over 1.0:1, so sell it to someone with a absolute max body weight of 190 lbs. Lighter preferred.

Or, sell it on ebay as a car cover/decoration parachute. You might get more money out of it that way...

councilman24  (D 8631)

Apr 29, 2012, 4:42 PM
Post #3 of 8 (669 views)
Shortcut

There is no maximum jump number on any canopy. Condition determines when it is done.

For canopies like this we didn't usually reline them. At least if they had dacron. By the time the lines wore out usually the canopy fabric was becoming porous and the flare was degrading. Usually life was between 500 and 1000 jumps depending on loading and care.

I wouldn't normally expect a Fury to be done at 500 jumps. But not worth a lot.

skyman69  (B License)

Apr 30, 2012, 11:35 AM
Post #4 of 8 (567 views)
Shortcut
Re: [dragon2] Fury [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks for the reply,i like the idea of the car cover,that made me laugh:)

skyman69  (B License)

Apr 30, 2012, 11:41 AM
Post #5 of 8 (564 views)
Shortcut
Re: [councilman24] Fury [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks for your reply,will have it looked at by an advanced rigger before i make a decision as to what to do with it...Blue Skies....

skyjumpenfool  (Student)

May 1, 2012, 7:43 PM
Post #6 of 8 (467 views)
Shortcut

We've been using older Furry's for CRW. It's easy to tell when their done because they flair like a brick. At that point, "car cover" is about it.

I picked one up a couple years ago. It only had 30 jumps and flies and lands really well. I paid less than $100. Not much market for F-111 except for us idiots? Hope this helps.
Cool

skypuppy  (D 347)

May 1, 2012, 8:08 PM
Post #7 of 8 (457 views)
Shortcut

generally we figured 1000 jumps was about it for anything F111 other than maybe a foil. Unless it was used for water jumps, which can create porosity prematurely.

robinheid  (D 5533)

May 3, 2012, 1:03 PM
Post #8 of 8 (388 views)
Shortcut

In reply to:
Can anybody answer me a simple question please,,,,,what is the maximum jump number for a Fury 220 i purchased one a while ago with just short of 500 jumps and have been told it isnt worth selling.please help

Advertise it on basejumper.com as a base water canopy. I sold my Fury a few years back to one of the Potato Bridge locals for that very purpose.

And if it still flares decently, they can land it on the ground too.

As for jump numbers, too many variables to say what 500 jumps would do to its condition. Were they "green grass" jumps made in Florida or nasty dirt jumps made in SoCal or Arizona?

Packed on grass or carpet or dirt? Packed inside or out?

and what was the wing loading on those jumps - i.e., was it jumped by a big guy or a smaller person?

that's why others have said to have a good rigger check it out so you can get those answers; and best to use an old fart because they know more about f-111 than the kids do.

Cool

Forums : Skydiving : Gear and Rigging

Search for (options)