Forums: Skydiving: Gear and Rigging:
Javelin J4 (1998) main sizes (& PD 210 questions)

HughUno

Apr 23, 2012, 10:25 AM
Post #1 of 5 (521 views)
Shortcut
Javelin J4 (1998) main sizes (& PD 210 questions) Can't Post

Hello, I have been an infrequent jumper last few years, and zero jumps for almost 2 years until last weekend. I am considering a larger canopy than my PD210 (1995) because I weigh 30 pounds more than I used to (210 pounds now). The PD has very hard openings and I am mainly looking at (very) cheap/used larger canopies. (no need/desire for a high performance canopy, have around 1100 jumps).

Doing research on container volume, the current website says a J4 can hold a Zero-P canopy up to a 190. Can anyone translate that into "non" zero-p canopy sizes?

Also, what is the cubic inch capacity of a J4? There is more than enough room in there now for my PD 210.

PS, other than changing the stowed brake positions (which is next), anyone have a good method of slowing down the openings on my PD-210? Rolling the nose not super effective..

thx..

Premier skybytch  (D License)

Apr 23, 2012, 1:09 PM
Post #2 of 5 (491 views)
Shortcut
Re: [HughUno] Javelin J4 (1998) main sizes (& PD 210 questions) [In reply to] Can't Post

A zp 190 is roughly equivalent in pack volume to an all F111 210. Overall pack volume is going to vary depending on line type and number of cells.

What lines are on your PD210? If it has microline (Spectra), you can make the openings softer by changing them out for a Dacron line set. Also, are you flat packing or PRO packing it? PRO packing it may give you a bit softer opening as well.

Premier likestojump  (D License)

Apr 23, 2012, 1:52 PM
Post #3 of 5 (477 views)
Shortcut
Re: [HughUno] Javelin J4 (1998) main sizes (& PD 210 questions) [In reply to] Can't Post

In reply to:
Hello, I have been an infrequent jumper last few years, and zero jumps for almost 2 years until last weekend. I am considering a larger canopy than my PD210 (1995) because I weigh 30 pounds more than I used to (210 pounds now). The PD has very hard openings and I am mainly looking at (very) cheap/used larger canopies. (no need/desire for a high performance canopy, have around 1100 jumps).

Doing research on container volume, the current website says a J4 can hold a Zero-P canopy up to a 190. Can anyone translate that into "non" zero-p canopy sizes?

Also, what is the cubic inch capacity of a J4? There is more than enough room in there now for my PD 210.

PS, other than changing the stowed brake positions (which is next), anyone have a good method of slowing down the openings on my PD-210? Rolling the nose not super effective..

thx..

I have had a few J4 Javelins with 210ZP canopies (Sabre and Sabre2 and Spectre) which worked well, but were definitely the largest canopies I would feel safe putting in there. Thus, a PD210 F111 or even a PD230 F111 with microlines should be ok fits.

Although, a hard opening (provided your lineset is in trim) should be easily solved by a larger slider or by adding pockets to it. If you really like your canopy, you can also have it relined with Dacron lines, but that's a $300 investment.

fasted3  (D 30104)

Apr 24, 2012, 5:21 PM
Post #4 of 5 (418 views)
Shortcut

I used to use a Silhouette 230 in my J4. It didn't look good and was probably not safe or good for it. I also had a PD 210 which seemed to fit fine.

HughUno

Apr 25, 2012, 3:48 AM
Post #5 of 5 (385 views)
Shortcut
Re: [fasted3] Javelin J4 (1998) main sizes (& PD 210 questions) [In reply to] Can't Post

I think I am going to try a rubber band stow of the slider on the B-line attachment point (like in the old days) to slow things down, then a larger or pocket slider if that doesn't work. thx for input.

Forums : Skydiving : Gear and Rigging

Search for (options)