Forums: Skydiving Disciplines: Photography and Video:
Chin strap cam helmet vs solid chin

propilot  (C License)

Apr 20, 2012, 8:48 PM
Post #1 of 11 (1175 views)
Shortcut
Chin strap cam helmet vs solid chin Can't Post

I'm planning on flying a DSLR with 10-22MM canon EF lens + sony CX150. Eventually, in the future, I want to be able to use my 580EX in freefall as well.

I already own a previous version of the cookie MXV cam helmet that I paid way too much for.

I was thinking about getting a Wes Pro but am wondering if I really need it at this stage.

What are your thoughts about the stability of a chinstrap based helmet vs a solid chin such as the wes pro considering a DSLR + 10-22 + sony video?

Need some help deciding if I should drop the 750 on the wes. Keep in mind if I use the Cookie that I already have for a camera helmet I would need to get another helmet for general use.

I was thinking of using the cookie for now and upgrading when I can tell for myself that I need to. The problem with this strategy is that by the time I mod out the cookie with an articulated post, and plates, etc, I'm spending a lot of money to cut up a helmet that I will eventually rip off all that stuff from and put on a wes pro. In the mean time I will need to purchase yet another helmet to fly with when I dont want to fly with a camera. Ending up spending even more money in the long run (3 helemts) plus having a cut up cookie helmet that I paid 400 bucks for just sitting there (once I migrate to the wes pro).

In the past ive always regretted not just getting what I want from the start. It always seems to cost more in the end.

Then again. I see many many tandem camera guys with nothing but chin strap based helmets.

I dont have a home DZ so...im asking here.

Thoughts?

Premier DSE  (D 29060)
Apr 20, 2012, 8:57 PM
Post #2 of 11 (1160 views)
Shortcut
Re: [propilot] Chin strap cam helmet vs solid chin [In reply to] Can't Post

Quote:
Then again. I see many many tandem camera guys with nothing but chin strap based helmets.

REally? And their video isn't shaky and all over the place?

Zymurdoo  (D 16833)

Apr 20, 2012, 9:36 PM
Post #3 of 11 (1155 views)
Shortcut
Re: [DSE] Chin strap cam helmet vs solid chin [In reply to] Can't Post

I started out with a chin cup on a modified Bonehead Pimp Daddy for my first video helmet. I never noticed any shakiness when shooting tandem videos due to the upward shooting angle. However, when I began shooting more RW with a more downward angle the video was horrendous. I immediately ordered a Mantle and have never regretted it since. Looking back I should have bitten the bullet saving both time and money from the start.

Premier DSE  (D 29060)
Apr 20, 2012, 10:18 PM
Post #4 of 11 (1150 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Zymurdoo] Chin strap cam helmet vs solid chin [In reply to] Can't Post

A chin cup is different than a chin strap; chin cups can be terrific.

adamT  (D 26819)

Apr 21, 2012, 8:52 AM
Post #5 of 11 (1109 views)
Shortcut

I prefer a proper fitted chin cup helmet. My issue with the rear buckles is i never liked the idea of my helmet coming off in the same direction the forces from deployment are applied.

propilot  (C License)

Apr 21, 2012, 8:52 AM
Post #6 of 11 (1109 views)
Shortcut
Re: [DSE] Chin strap cam helmet vs solid chin [In reply to] Can't Post

Yea, the cookie helmet I have has both (chin cup and a under chin strap). I bought it after loosing the similarly designed bonehead camera helmet that only had a chin cup...which during a stand, slipped off my chin (towards my nose) followed rapidly by the helmet disappearing completely from my head like magic. One of two very expensive skydives I've made. Luckily I had taken the video camera off just before, so I only lost the helmet and hypeye.

Anyway.

So, chincup vs solid chin. Yay? Nay? Any stability issues?

Premier DSE  (D 29060)
Apr 21, 2012, 9:08 AM
Post #7 of 11 (1105 views)
Shortcut

Chincups work just fine for tandem work. If you're planning on mounting a more weighty system, I sure wouldn't want a chincup (been there, done that) as opposed to a Wes Vapor or an FTP.
Heavier or forward balance weight, you'll really want that solid chin. Otherwise, a cup is sufficient and easier to deal with, IMO

dragon2  (D 101989)

Apr 21, 2012, 12:11 PM
Post #8 of 11 (1082 views)
Shortcut

In reply to:
Yea, the cookie helmet I have has both (chin cup and a under chin strap).

Both? So how does the cutaway work?

In reply to:
So, chincup vs solid chin. Yay? Nay? Any stability issues?

I strongly prefer the rear-entry type helmets for a DSLR+CX type of setup. All of our regular tandem video crew switched over to this type of helmet eventually if they didn't start out with one.

The other type of jumps I film, for outside FS work again I prefer the rear-entry type helmets. For inside FS work, I prefer a chincup type helmet with just a CX. For CRW, I don't think it matters much either way. Although my first chincup helmet had stability issues under canopy (not in freefall - weird).
For wingsuiting, the smaller helmet is probably easier on the neck. Again, you can go either way.

Basically I jump 2 helmets: a FTP for outside video work and a chincup FS helmet for inside/coaching. I prefer the FTP because it just feels much more secure and stable, and I'm much quicker putting on/off that helmet than the chincup one. YMMV Crazy

Squeak  (E 1313)

Apr 21, 2012, 6:41 PM
Post #9 of 11 (1048 views)
Shortcut
Re: [dragon2] Chin strap cam helmet vs solid chin [In reply to] Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

]
Both chin cup strap and buckle strap are on the same attachment point, the cutaway releases that point.

propilot  (C License)

Apr 21, 2012, 8:04 PM
Post #10 of 11 (1041 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Squeak] Chin strap cam helmet vs solid chin [In reply to] Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
In reply to:

]
Both chin cup strap and buckle strap are on the same attachment point, the cutaway releases that point.

That.

Actually the helmet didn't come with a cutaway system (retarded if you ask me, 400 dollars for a camera helmet with no cutaway). But I am planning on rigging one up before I jump it and it does have a single attachment point, so shouldnt be too hard to do.

Sounds like I'll be getting a FTP. Was trying to make sure I wasnt spending more than I have to.

Thanks guys

Premier DSE  (D 29060)
Apr 21, 2012, 10:40 PM
Post #11 of 11 (1030 views)
Shortcut

The "bonebucks" are a great way to go. I'm not sure if they still have their trade-in program...but on something like an FTP, it's very much worth it to check out.
LOVE LOVE my FTP for most things non-coach related

Forums : Skydiving Disciplines : Photography and Video

Search for (options)