Forums: Skydiving Disciplines: Photography and Video:
NTSC PAL

freefallcrab  (D 100760)

Apr 20, 2012, 10:38 PM
Post #1 of 7 (623 views)
Shortcut
NTSC PAL Can't Post

I am finally moving out of the stone age and dumping my box full of Sony PC camera and accessories and looking at CX-series cameras. Still looking for a CX150 although the shops here dont seem to stock them any more as they are discontinued. I saw a 130 yesterday and thought about buying it until I remembered the CMOS/stability issues discussed on here a while back so I put my credit card away.

To get to the point, I have seen CX150s on sale on line but sourced from the US and therefore using NTSC format. Is this is still an issue for us Europeans or has the age of digital vice analogue recording and transmission rendered this problem irrelevant? All I want to do is record, edit on iMovie and then share with jumpers who may want to play the imagery on their TVs (yeah ok, and some family stuff of my kid growing up in for his grandparents back home). NTSC/Pal was last discussed on here a couple of years ago but with things moving on so quickly I thought I would check with the experts here.

Premier DSE  (D 29060)

Apr 20, 2012, 10:54 PM
Post #2 of 7 (613 views)
Shortcut
Re: [freefallcrab] NTSC PAL [In reply to] Can't Post

in HD, there is no NTSC/PAL, just 50i/p and 60i/p

However...if you're making standard definition DVDs...there is still NTSC/PAL.

That being said, iMovie can convert 60i to 50i with no problem. The internet doesn't care whether it's 50i or 60i at all.
DVDs are all but dead anyway, so might as well take the plunge.
FWIW, HD is on its last legs as well, so might as well catch up.Tongue

PERRYSTONE04  (B 5396)

Apr 21, 2012, 7:15 AM
Post #3 of 7 (569 views)
Shortcut
Re: [DSE] NTSC PAL [In reply to] Can't Post

whats next ??

Premier DSE  (D 29060)

Apr 21, 2012, 8:09 AM
Post #4 of 7 (560 views)
Shortcut
Re: [PERRYSTONE04] NTSC PAL [In reply to] Can't Post

In reply to:

whats next ??
I suppose it depends on your gambling nature. Industry pundits say UDTV. My feeling is that UDTV will go like EDTV, and we're probably looking at 4K as the next standard.

Premier PhreeZone  (D License)
Apr 21, 2012, 9:46 PM
Post #5 of 7 (529 views)
Shortcut

I was originally thinking 2k had a shot from the trade mags about 3 years ago but now its looking like 4K has a lot of momentum. It will be nice once they start to lock some of this in to start driving costs down instead of having high prices due to low adoptence rate.

Premier DSE  (D 29060)

Apr 21, 2012, 10:35 PM
Post #6 of 7 (526 views)
Shortcut
Re: [PhreeZone] NTSC PAL [In reply to] Can't Post

Given that 4K cams are now available for "reasonable" prices (sub 5K$) and that there are already 4k projectors and displays available for "reasonable" prices, and Sharp/Panasonic/Sony already displaying 8K displays...it only makes sense that 2K/UDTV is already the 720p display of its generation.
I could be wrong...but kinda doubt it.

freefallcrab  (D 100760)

Apr 24, 2012, 10:07 PM
Post #7 of 7 (443 views)
Shortcut

Thanks DSE, very helpful as always.

Forums : Skydiving Disciplines : Photography and Video

Search for (options)