Forums: Skydiving: Safety and Training:
Cardiac health and getting back in the air

Foggy  (D 21109)

Apr 20, 2012, 9:36 AM
Post #1 of 18 (1913 views)
Shortcut
Cardiac health and getting back in the air Can't Post

Not sure if this is the correct forum but could not find the old farts with heart issues oneCool
1900 or so jumps, last one 5 years ago so know I need to sit in a FJC and first jump "under supervision". Snag is I had a heart attack last July at 46yrs so wondering what that puts into the game? (Cypress on main and reserve to bring the corpse down in one pieceWink). Did my cardiac rehab, lost 28lbs (now 168), my current lipid panel is excellent and working out hard 4-5 times a week.
Any thoughts?, observations?

Foggy

grimmie  (D 18890)

Apr 20, 2012, 11:46 AM
Post #2 of 18 (1860 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Foggy] Cardiac health and getting back in the air [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm not a doctor, but I play one at the drop zone.

What does your real doctor have to say about it?

You'll get lots of internet doctors weighing in on the thread as soon as they are finished googling lipid levels.Tongue

PiLFy  (A License)

Apr 20, 2012, 3:01 PM
Post #3 of 18 (1816 views)
Shortcut

No one here knows how much damage was done last July. Your Cardiologist knows. Ask him.

Skyper

Apr 20, 2012, 3:01 PM
Post #4 of 18 (1816 views)
Shortcut

since you lost weight you make more chance for survival because your wing load is now reduced. Smile or did you downsize the canopy as well?

Danl  (D 24141)

Apr 20, 2012, 4:39 PM
Post #5 of 18 (1791 views)
Shortcut

Congrats on your recovery!
I am preventing my first heart attack, by eating only fruits, vegetables, whole grains, and beans, with no added oils. It has made me much healthier, given me a lower wing loading, and improved my flying skills.
Are you on statins?

PiLFy  (A License)

Apr 20, 2012, 5:05 PM
Post #6 of 18 (1781 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Danl] Cardiac health and getting back in the air [In reply to] Can't Post

"by eating only fruits, vegetables, whole grains, and beans,"

There goes the ride to altitude... Angelic

Premier PhreeZone  (D License)
Apr 20, 2012, 5:59 PM
Post #7 of 18 (1766 views)
Shortcut

Skip the Cypres on the main, its useless since you don't have a Spring loaded PC. Other than that just get back in the air and I'll have to hunt you down to show you what one of your old students can do in the air now Wink

BIGUN  (D 23385)

Apr 21, 2012, 6:26 AM
Post #8 of 18 (1702 views)
Shortcut

Heart attack?

Is that all you got fucking pussy?!?!?!?!

Get your ass back in the air.

You got more to worry about having sex than you do skydiving.

<shakes head>

Heart attack, he says.

What a maroon.

Serious note: Some psychological effects in doing too much too soon. Take the pressure off. Get a few solo hop N pops under your belt (especially the sunset ones) just to overcome some intrapersonal communication issues. Just my .02....

Beer!

(This post was edited by BIGUN on Apr 21, 2012, 6:27 AM)

drdive  (D 29619)

Apr 21, 2012, 9:42 AM
Post #9 of 18 (1680 views)
Shortcut

Lots of post heart attack patients get back to vigorous physical activity. But there are too many variables to even speculate here. Ask your cardiologist if he/she would clear you or if he/she wants a stress test first.

Foggy  (D 21109)

Apr 22, 2012, 6:44 PM
Post #10 of 18 (1610 views)
Shortcut
Re: [PiLFy] Cardiac health and getting back in the air [In reply to] Can't Post

In reply to:
No one here knows how much damage was done last July. Your Cardiologist knows. Ask him.
damage to heart was minimal as I had the good sense to wait until I got in front of the triage nurse in the ER before coding. It did take them 8mins and three attempts with the paddles to get me back online. At my three month follow-up, my cardiologist stated "zero restrictions" but then added no snow shoveling... everCrazy

Foggy  (D 21109)

Apr 22, 2012, 6:48 PM
Post #11 of 18 (1609 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Skyper] Cardiac health and getting back in the air [In reply to] Can't Post

In reply to:
since you lost weight you make more chance for survival because your wing load is now reduced. Smile or did you downsize the canopy as well?
nope, keeping the spectre170. Had a neck injury in 2001 and put 900 jumps on it without any probs.

Foggy  (D 21109)

Apr 22, 2012, 6:52 PM
Post #12 of 18 (1606 views)
Shortcut
Re: [BIGUN] Cardiac health and getting back in the air [In reply to] Can't Post

In reply to:
Heart attack?

Is that all you got fucking pussy?!?!?!?!

Get your ass back in the air.

You got more to worry about having sex than you do skydiving.

<shakes head>

Heart attack, he says.

What a maroon.

Serious note: Some psychological effects in doing too much too soon. Take the pressure off. Get a few solo hop N pops under your belt (especially the sunset ones) just to overcome some intrapersonal communication issues. Just my .02....

Beer!

fortunately i make my own Beer! so I am quite current there Wink

demoknite  (D License)

Apr 22, 2012, 7:20 PM
Post #13 of 18 (1594 views)
Shortcut

I would definately consult your doctor and hopefully. The adrenaline created during the anticipation of a jump and right before you pitch are very strenuous on your heart. If you were a pilot or a military parachutist, you probably wouldnt be allowed to fly or jump, respectively.

PiLFy  (A License)

Apr 23, 2012, 2:10 PM
Post #14 of 18 (1515 views)
Shortcut

Were it me? I'd get the green light from my Cardiologist. He may want a surveillance stress test before clearing you. He'll probably need some educating about what it's like. Best of Luck to you.

labrys  (D 29848)

Apr 24, 2012, 10:41 PM
Post #15 of 18 (1434 views)
Shortcut

Foggy!!!

Come on over and jump, ya FKKR! I'd Absolutely die if I drew the short straw to to teach that FJC refresher.

Cool

BIGUN  (D 23385)

Apr 25, 2012, 5:59 AM
Post #16 of 18 (1414 views)
Shortcut
Re: [demoknite] Cardiac health and getting back in the air [In reply to] Can't Post

In reply to:
I would definately consult your doctor and hopefully. The adrenaline created during the anticipation of a jump and right before you pitch are very strenuous on your heart. If you were a pilot or a military parachutist, you probably wouldnt be allowed to fly or jump, respectively.

Things are changing considerably in this arena. The Air Force will now allow (and have been for about 15 years) pilots that have had an aortic valve replacement to again fly... as long as they remain in a cargo transport where the opportunity for high g's is much lower.

Foggy  (D 21109)

Apr 26, 2012, 1:46 PM
Post #17 of 18 (1369 views)
Shortcut
Re: [labrys] Cardiac health and getting back in the air [In reply to] Can't Post

In reply to:
Foggy!!!

Come on over and jump, ya FKKR! I'd Absolutely die if I drew the short straw to to teach that FJC refresher.

Cool
Blush for once I am speechless Angelic

Skydivesg  (D 10938)

Apr 26, 2012, 5:09 PM
Post #18 of 18 (1346 views)
Shortcut

My son-in-law is an electrophysiologist.

He has been helping a company do research on a patch that is about the size of a nicotine patch.

It will do everything that a Holter monitor does plus much more.

He's been talking to me about wearing it for a few days during a skydiving event for additional evalutaion of cardiac stress.

I told him maybe the AZ Challenge or the Nationals.

It should be interesting. The only thing is that my normal vitals are very good.

Maybe it would be more effective if someone like you wore it.

Forums : Skydiving : Safety and Training

Search for (options)