Forums: Skydiving: Gear and Rigging:
leg strap bungee + wing suit

3mpire  (C 39657)

Mar 12, 2012, 12:09 PM
Post #1 of 11 (1172 views)
Shortcut
leg strap bungee + wing suit Can't Post

I did a search and came up with a single thread (http://www.dropzone.com/...ap%20bungee;#2750316) from 2007 and was wondering if there has been any progress made in a detachable bungee for your leg straps which would allow a rig to go from freefly friendly (with bungee) to wingsuit friendly (sans bungee) configuration.

Is this still a roll your own solution type deal, in which case I should just talk to a rigger, or does anyone out there market something that fits this use case?

(This post was edited by 3mpire on Mar 12, 2012, 12:10 PM)

roostnureye  (D 32166)

Mar 12, 2012, 12:23 PM
Post #2 of 11 (1148 views)
Shortcut
Re: [3mpire] leg strap bungee + wing suit [In reply to] Can't Post

untie said bungee before wingsuit jump
retie said bungee after wingsuit jumps
works for me every time, its fast, efficient, and cheap!

3mpire  (C 39657)

Mar 12, 2012, 12:25 PM
Post #3 of 11 (1146 views)
Shortcut
Re: [roostnureye] leg strap bungee + wing suit [In reply to] Can't Post

I will give that a try. the bungee on my rig had been tied for around ten years so I had to cut it off.

Premier Remster  (C License)

Mar 12, 2012, 12:38 PM
Post #4 of 11 (1139 views)
Shortcut

I don't know the brand of rig, but I saw a jumper board the Otter in Eloy this weekend ahead of me, and instead of a bungee, they had a short length of tape (looked thinner then webbing) instead, with a quick release buckle on it.

I think the jumper was German, so it may have been a Euro rig (or a after market add-on).

theonlyski  (D License)

Mar 12, 2012, 12:43 PM
Post #5 of 11 (1134 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Remster] leg strap bungee + wing suit [In reply to] Can't Post

In reply to:
I don't know the brand of rig, but I saw a jumper board the Otter in Eloy this weekend ahead of me, and instead of a bungee, they had a short length of tape (looked thinner then webbing) instead, with a quick release buckle on it.

I think the jumper was German, so it may have been a Euro rig (or a after market add-on).

Wouldn't be difficult to do, but then you have a comfort thing to deal with (who want's to sit on the floor of the otter/skyvan etc with a shackle/buckle in their ass?

dragon2  (D 101989)

Mar 12, 2012, 12:52 PM
Post #6 of 11 (1123 views)
Shortcut

My current rigs have removable ""bungees" made out of 2 softlinks, the ones with the metal ring. They are sown to the legstraps with the canopy-lines end.
I undo the softlink to open the "bungee". After the wingsuit is on the rig, I do the softlink up again.

I've also used a small french link: knot your bungee on one side of the rig as usual, and attach the other side with a small french link.
Whether this works depends mostly on your rig: if you have the small loops for the bungee this is easy, if you have the long tube type loops you'll have to make a loop with tape or something, to attach the french link to.

3mpire  (C 39657)

Mar 12, 2012, 3:03 PM
Post #8 of 11 (1063 views)
Shortcut
Re: [dragon2] leg strap bungee + wing suit [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks everyone for the feedback, I've gotten a lot of ideas to work with. I'll post an update with results showing what I ultimately end up with.

cheers Smile

virgin-burner

Mar 12, 2012, 3:54 PM
Post #9 of 11 (1033 views)
Shortcut
Re: [roostnureye] leg strap bungee + wing suit [In reply to] Can't Post

In reply to:
untie said bungee before wingsuit jump
retie said bungee after wingsuit jumps
works for me every time, its fast, efficient, and cheap!

this^^

i found the "tooth" of a fork to be a valuable tool to open up a firmly tight strap.. plus i get a reason to talk to the hot waitress! Tongue

Ronaldo  (D 34728)

Mar 13, 2012, 6:45 PM
Post #11 of 11 (874 views)
Shortcut

There is another thread about this with some good ideas
http://www.dropzone.com/...post=2750316#2750316

(This post was edited by Ronaldo on Mar 13, 2012, 6:45 PM)

Forums : Skydiving : Gear and Rigging

Search for (options)