Forums: Dropzone.com: Security and Scam Alerts:
Important -- New Scam Tactics

Premier Meso
Administrator
Feb 21, 2012, 2:50 AM
Post #1 of 10 (5312 views)
Shortcut
Important -- New Scam Tactics Can't Post

It seems that there has been an active effort by scammers to try get a better scamming conversion rate. Up until now they would typically use very generic writing in their original response and their replies, but it seems the replies have become a bit more developed and they are starting to sound as though they may actually be skydivers.

There have been several scammers of late who claim that their rigger will come and collect the gear for inspection after they have sent the cheque. And they have even referenced which dropzone they 'jump' at, and there was even one that managed to put forward a USPA license number (which belonged to someone else).

While they have managed to figure this out, their English remains fairly bad and that can still be used as a tell-tale sign. Look out for basic spelling and grammar problems that you wouldn't expect from an English speaking person, especially when the buyer claims to be from a primarily English speaking country.

It will remain good practice, especially in cases like these to call the dropzone that they reference and see if the DZO knows the 'jumper'. This is usually where their scams fall apart.

In short, it is no longer safe to assume that if a buyer gives you a license number and a DZ name that they are a legitimate buyer. If you suspect at all that they may be a scammer, follow up with the dropzone and make sure. Though these cheques that they send are almost always for a larger amount of money than the product and also remains a big alert that the buyer is a scammer.

skyrado  (D 29871)

Feb 19, 2013, 9:36 AM
Post #2 of 10 (3747 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Meso] Important -- New Scam Tactics [In reply to] Can't Post

Very useful information! thank you!
Rado

totz

May 26, 2013, 6:14 PM
Post #3 of 10 (2917 views)
Shortcut

'144826'.
Hello! That is the Ad number of Daniel Feess May 18,2013 I sent him the amount $565.00 and emailed him 2 days ago to see if he already has received the Money Order but I did not received any reply and I checked the Ad from him and it says Error??? Cannot find the Ad anymore.....What is going on?Did I get Scammed???Unsure

totz

May 26, 2013, 6:48 PM
Post #4 of 10 (2914 views)
Shortcut
Re: [totz] Important -- New Scam Tactics [In reply to] Can't Post

I apologize! He just replied my email just now.... sorry! It has been 5 days of waiting and of course I've been worried.

Belmonte

Jul 3, 2013, 6:52 AM
Post #5 of 10 (2684 views)
Shortcut

richardmorgan2312@hotmail.com
scam seller

Attackforce  (A License)

Jul 3, 2013, 1:28 PM
Post #6 of 10 (2646 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Belmonte] Important -- New Scam Tactics [In reply to] Can't Post

Belmonte wrote:
richardmorgan2312@hotmail.com
scam seller

He goes by "Richard Morgan" on here with a paypal address of Donnalyons399@yahoo.com

Cell phone number is 9045676349. He'll claim he has hearing loss and can't talk hear you and that you should only text him. When trying to talk to him it's quite obvious he's not a "Richard Morgan" but definitely a foreigner claiming to be selling a rig located in Missouri yet that phone number is directed from Florida.

Don't be fooled.

198rock  (A 23258)

Nov 14, 2013, 11:50 AM
Post #7 of 10 (1473 views)
Shortcut

Thanks for the info, Meso. 2 out of 8 inquiries on my rig are scams. Rock on.

jonathasnunes

Dec 19, 2013, 4:55 AM
Post #8 of 10 (1148 views)
Shortcut

Ivan Braun (ivanxxbraun@gmail.com) is scam... how do i report this...

Doug_Davis  (A License)

Jan 4, 2014, 1:28 PM
Post #9 of 10 (928 views)
Shortcut

Meso,

Just curious as a new jumper and new forum member...what are the scammers hoping to accomplish? Are they trying to get peoples' bank information? Or email addresses or what?

I just dont get what they hope to accomplish with either fake ads or even stranger fake offers to buy.

Premier Meso
Administrator
Jan 5, 2014, 10:38 PM
Post #10 of 10 (884 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Doug_Davis] Important -- New Scam Tactics [In reply to] Can't Post

Hey,

Seller scammers are in it for the money directly, while buyers obviously have a few different agendas depending on the scammer. Some may actually hope to achieve being sent the gear, so they can then resell it. Since some of them pay via what seem like reliable avenues, and then only after a couple of days once the item has been sent, will the money payment be flagged as illegitimate and reversed.

Forums : Dropzone.com : Security and Scam Alerts

Search for (options)