Forums: Skydiving: Safety and Training:
My first post AFF line twist... Yikes!

cbuffalino  (B 38614)

Feb 17, 2012, 12:56 PM
Post #1 of 7 (1257 views)
Shortcut
My first post AFF line twist... Yikes! Can't Post

So I was going back through my logbook recently and reminiscing about all the great and sometimes scary experiences I encountered while completing my AFF training. And thought I would share one in particular for any AFF students who haven't yet had their first malfunction.

On my very first unsupervised solo jump, two weeks after completing my AFF training I was both nervous and excited- isn't that why we do it anyway? I was all geared up, inspected, manifested, weatherized (cold in NY in November) and on my very first load with fun jumpers of all levels as well as instructors who took me through the AFF process. As I was in the plane just as the plane was taking off an instructor called up to me "close the door!" That was the first mistake I made... lol The glass door on this plane was heavier than anticipated and it slammed down on the floor. I got a couple looks from the other experienced jumpers on the load and was told matter-of-factly to not let that happen again. Obviously to not break the door. Once at altitude I was the first jumper to leave the plane. I got some help spotting the exit point before hand and was told to prop up and wait for the light. Mistake two: WAIT FOR THE LIGHT! I exited the plane- as I was told- about 2 seconds before the light went. I thought I had heard a GO GO GO! From the front of the plane so I went. It was probably just my adrenaline kicking in and being over excited about what I was about to do.

My exit was nice- a head first dive out gaining stability very quickly. I noticed quickly that I was orbiting around so I adjusted my leg position once I determined my upper body was looking good. This helped a lot because being comfortable with where your legs are makes a huge difference in the stability aspect of the dive, so I experimented with different things until I found something that felt right. Honestly it wasn't the prettiest dive, but definitely made me more comfortable knowing I could move around and not go completely out of whack. It was a standard belly down dive, no frills.

I decided early on to pull at 5,500ft to allow myself time to get comfortable under canopy and practice riser turns, flares and braked turns at altitude. I locked on at 6,000 just like in AFF and pulled at my preplanned altitude. Immediately after pulling I looked up to check my canopy and said "of course this had to happen now." Three to four line twists not very far up the lines but enough to be an annoyance. I realized then that even though I was completely stable and followed rule number 1- pull at the correct altitude- I had made my third mistake which was not compensating with one arm while the other was operating the pilot chute so my body was spinning as the main was being extracted, causing a line twist.

To remedy the situation I followed all protocol that was taught to me in ground school. I spread the risers apart with my hands, brakes still stowed and began to kick in the opposite direction of the twist. I noticed that it took too long for my personal comfort to get in the motion and my body kept creating some counter constructive motion as both legs were alternating (like scissors) during the kick. I checked altitude and then tried again. I quickly got out of the twists with plenty of time and altitude to permit me to get to my holding area, facing into the wind and fly my preplanned course to a mediocre landing.

Later I recalled a tip that I have not heard widely used from another jumper which was to kick simultaneously with both legs in the same direction. This in theory should create more positive force and get you out quicker. Has anyone ever tried this?

What I learned from that experience is this: Don't panic and waste valuable time, relax and recall everything you learned, listen to your instructors and absorb as much as possible from them, always be altitude aware, don't let the door slam on take off, and never exit before the GREEN light.

hookitt  (D License)

Feb 17, 2012, 1:53 PM
Post #2 of 7 (1204 views)
Shortcut
Re: [cbuffalino] My first post AFF line twist... Yikes! [In reply to] Can't Post

Interesting. That would do more than bicycle type kicking for sure.

Next time, push the risers together. Pulling the risers apart tightens the twist. If it's touch to push them together, reach behind the risers to the opposite riser and in front to the opposite riser and pull them together.

Especially on larger docile canopies, If you push the risers together, the canopy will do most of the work.

Look up a thread called A better way out of line twist! ... or just click the double frowny face ==> MadMad <== Double frowny face Link.

(This post was edited by hookitt on Feb 17, 2012, 1:54 PM)

dthames  (B 37674)

Feb 17, 2012, 3:27 PM
Post #3 of 7 (1174 views)
Shortcut
Re: [cbuffalino] My first post AFF line twist... Yikes! [In reply to] Can't Post

I am still not at solo status, so consider the source..On a couple of jumps I had about 1-1/2 twists which unwound before I could even think about attending to them. Then on my C1 jump (see note below about jump count ) I felt a twist before I even looked up. I was thinking it was the same thing unwinding again. No. It was in the process of winding up. The canopy was stable but I was like a screw underneath. I did not count the turns, so I wont say it was, n, but I was surprised how much it wound up. We had practiced the bicycle kick on the ground, hanging. But I did not fully understand exactly how to do it. I did understand that the idea was to add energy into the system much like a spinning skater does when they pull their arms or legs in. Not like Wile E Coyote blowing on the sail, mounted on his own skateboard. So just some sort of thrashing about with my legs, I knew was not the answer. I tried it one way, and then another. To put it in words, it might best be described as sitting in rotating type office chair, turning your knees in the direction you want to go, and then peddling like you are on a bicycle. Once I got the angle right, it was almost like had something to paddle against in the air. My rotation increased in a way related to the amount of effort I as putting into the peddles . It was actually fun to be able to do that.

After I was on the ground I mentioned it to the instructor as to what might have caused it because I was in pretty good form when I pulled. He said the bag hung around over my back for a bit longer than normal. I guess this started a series of events that caused the twist.

Note: I passed 3 different B or evaluation jumps at three different DZs and had done 5 static line jumps before my first real C1 jump.

Dan

(This post was edited by dthames on Feb 17, 2012, 4:44 PM)

Namowal  (A 63059)

Feb 17, 2012, 7:35 PM
Post #4 of 7 (1113 views)
Shortcut

In reply to:
. As I was in the plane just as the plane was taking off an instructor called up to me "close the door!" That was the first mistake I made... lol The glass door on this plane was heavier than anticipated and it slammed down on the floor. I got a couple looks from the other experienced jumpers on the load and was told matter-of-factly to not let that happen again. .

If it makes you feel any better, that sounds like something that I might do. Blush

Note to self- don't hurt the door.

airtwardo  (D License)

Feb 17, 2012, 7:59 PM
Post #5 of 7 (1101 views)
Shortcut

As I was in the plane just as the plane was taking off an instructor called up to me "close the door!" That was the first mistake I made... lol The glass door on this plane was heavier than anticipated and it slammed down on the floor. I got a couple looks from the other experienced jumpers on the load and was told matter-of-factly to not let that happen again.

In reply to:

So....I take it that was the FIRST time you closed the door???

AngelicSlyDevil

cbuffalino  (B 38614)

Feb 18, 2012, 2:44 PM
Post #6 of 7 (1006 views)
Shortcut
Re: [airtwardo] My first post AFF line twist... Yikes! [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks all for the constructive input. I will definitely keep all of this in mind on my future jumps as well as gt down on that extra reading that was mentioned by hookit. Airtwardo also has some great madatory reading I saw earlier this week that was very insightful.

And yes... That was this first time I closed the door. Quite embarrassing for sure.

PiLFy  (A License)

Feb 18, 2012, 3:32 PM
Post #7 of 7 (996 views)
Shortcut

"And yes... That was the Beer!Beer! time I closed the door."

FIFY

Forums : Skydiving : Safety and Training

Search for (options)